2017 Running Football Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, March 06, 2017, 01:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I've yet to watch any football this year myself, of any kind.

Actually, that's not true - I went to my son's school to watch them play, and it was like watching the Texans get beaten up. I think it was 45-0 or something like that.

OJsDad

I don't think I've seen the inside of the stadium before, it looks really cool.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

That's the new Mercedes Benz Dome.  It's impressive.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

OJsDad

Best part of the game coming up.  The new Black Panther trailer!!!
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

No ESPN, so I missed it.  Although, I suppose YouTube will have it.

MetalDog

Steelgrave

MetalDog

Thanks, Steelie!  That was some crazy, crazy stuff.

airboy

Everyone at poker was unhappy.

I doubt if this college football run will be repeated in my lifetime.

MetalDog

Me, too.  Nick can only coach so many more years ;)

OJsDad

Quote from: MetalDog on January 09, 2018, 07:52:40 PM
Me, too.  Nick can only coach so many more years ;)

Was driving down to a client site this morning and was listening to Golic and Wingo.  They had Herbstreit on and they asked about Saban leaving for the NFL.  Herbie said he doesn't think Saban will ever leave college football.  He loves it at that level.  He thinks when Saban leaves Alabama, it'll be for a broadcasting gig.  In fact, Herbie is hoping it would be to College Game Day. 

MetalDog

I'd love to have Nick go in front of the cameras and show some personality.  It's my understanding that he has one ;)  Saban is 66 years old.  My opinion is that he can live quite comfortably with never going back to the pros.  5 National Championships in nine years and 6 over all.  Every year is a new crop of 4 and 5 star recruits keeping the cupboard full.  Acknowledgment as one of the best, if not THE best, coaches in the game.  Yeah,  I think I could retire happy with those accomplishments :)

OJsDad

I wouldn't mind seeing Saban slide into Corso's chair when Corso retires. 

bayonetbrant

Quote from: OJsDad on January 09, 2018, 09:39:17 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Saban slide into Corso's chair when Corso retires. 

Corso retired 6 years ago.  They just forgot to tell him.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on January 09, 2018, 09:31:25 PM
I'd love to have Nick go in front of the cameras and show some personality.  It's my understanding that he has one ;)

Saban was on an ESPN roundtable show with Meyer and a handful of other CFB coaches talking about how they would "fix" college football if they had their way, and commenting on different proposals the talking heads were throwing out there on things like eligibility, paying players, transferring schools, scheduling, etc.

Saban and Meyer are both ridiculously smart & articulate, and have clearly spent a lot of time thinking hard about the issues in their sport.  No, they aren't going to cure cancer or stop the arms race or anything, but they are focusing on their sport.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers