2017 Running Football Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, March 06, 2017, 01:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 09, 2018, 09:45:02 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on January 09, 2018, 09:39:17 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Saban slide into Corso's chair when Corso retires. 

Corso retired 6 years ago.  They just forgot to tell him.

He's the number one reason I still watch CGD.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

^ I'd like to see Saban let loose and do Game Day.  While I think he has a personality, and a good one, I'm not sure he would embrace a Corso type role.

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 09, 2018, 09:47:58 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 09, 2018, 09:31:25 PM
I'd love to have Nick go in front of the cameras and show some personality.  It's my understanding that he has one ;)

Saban was on an ESPN roundtable show with Meyer and a handful of other CFB coaches talking about how they would "fix" college football if they had their way, and commenting on different proposals the talking heads were throwing out there on things like eligibility, paying players, transferring schools, scheduling, etc.

Saban and Meyer are both ridiculously smart & articulate, and have clearly spent a lot of time thinking hard about the issues in their sport.  No, they aren't going to cure cancer or stop the arms race or anything, but they are focusing on their sport.

Not a fan of Meyer, more from his association with Florida and OSU, but, if college football were cleaned up, I'd be grateful.  Might even watch a lot more of it.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Sir Slash

Saban retire? Hell no! He's got two great quarterbacks for next season, one a Sophomore and the other a Freshman. Every coach should be so lucky.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MetalDog

Kirby Smart is.  Fromm is going to only get better and Kirby landed THE Number 1 recruit in America, another QB.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on January 09, 2018, 10:59:09 PM
Kirby Smart is.  Fromm is going to only get better and Kirby landed THE Number 1 recruit in America, another QB.

it would be nice if all that talent translated into wins on a consistent basis

NC State's defense in 2004 went 13 deep on future NFL players (seriously - all 11 starters and the top 2 backups played in the NFL: Manny Lawson, Stephen Tulloch, Tank Tyler, Mario Williams, John McCargo, Oliver Hoyte, Lamont Reid, Pat Thomas, Andre Maddox, etc etc).  And the offense chipped in another couple of players with Chris Colmer, TJ Williams, Brian Clark, Leroy Harris,

They went 5-6 b/c they had a QB that threw interceptions like Mirth throws out pickup lines.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

mirth

Damn. Jags have a 21 point lead over the Steelers in the 2nd quarter.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Jags might have just sealed it with that latest TD to go back up 2 scores.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

I'm just checking the box score, but Bortles must be having a good second half. His passing yards went from 96 to 214. And Fournette looks like he's having a monster day.

I'm not a Steelers fan, but I was looking forward to having them in Foxboro next weekend. Pretty big upset if the Jags hold on for the win.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on January 14, 2018, 04:01:23 PMPretty big upset if the Jags hold on for the win.

I dunno - division winner, top 3 defense, already beat the crap out of Pittsburgh in Heinz Field...  maybe not as big an upset as we think if we're not looking at reputation over the past 10 years?

CptHowdy

Quote from: mirth on January 14, 2018, 04:01:23 PM
I'm just checking the box score, but Bortles must be having a good second half. His passing yards went from 96 to 214. And Fournette looks like he's having a monster day.

I'm not a Steelers fan, but I was looking forward to having them in Foxboro next weekend. Pretty big upset if the Jags hold on for the win.

jags already put 40+ on em during the season and doing so again in the playoffs. wouldnt consider it to much of an upset. Steelers played in a weak division this year. Bengals and Ravens had 4th quarter leads on em but let em off the hook. They just werent playing well down the stretch and that Patriot game sucked all the life out of them. Wont be surprised if Jags roll into foxboro and get a win. Now that would be an upset.

mirth

Maybe. Still, to win at Heinz in the playoffs is no small accomplishment.

I do think time is catching up with Roethlisberger. He's taken a lot of punishment over the years.

mirth

Quote from: CptHowdy on January 14, 2018, 04:08:40 PM
Wont be surprised if Jags roll into foxboro and get a win. Now that would be an upset.

It would indeed

bayonetbrant

I was kinda hoping the Falcons would win yesterday, b/c that was the only way the Saints would've gotten another home game (after they win today!  >:D )