2017 Running Football Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, March 06, 2017, 01:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorQuest

It will be interesting to see if there is a city called Philadelphia left in the morning.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: DoctorQuest on February 04, 2018, 10:43:15 PM
It will be interesting to see if there is a city called Philadelphia left in the morning.

I saw a funny quip online earlier that said something to the effect of "they're just playing the game to decide if it's the happy fans or the sad fans setting fire to Philadelphia tonight"
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Toonces

Jesus Christ, what a bunch of whining pussies.  Jarhead must be turning over in his grave right now.

"Ohhh, I'd rather watch the puppy bowl, the commercials are better!"

Man alive, just turn in your man card with your log on info.

And yes, I say this and I wear Uggs.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

MetalDog

Feelin' our scotch tonight, Princess?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MikeGER

i stayed up as long as i could and watched especially the opening ceremonies stuff ( Ha, no one dared 'to politicize' into the face of the 15 medal of honor winner invited) and the first quarter all on the projector. Which was great. like being in the stadium and could actually see the players brawling, the tackles, and the receives and all the details...  got real tired (Pils beer was involved ;-) ) and went to bed to see the rest on a little TV set ....and soon passed out close to the end of the second quarter ...as expected.

one of the bazillion of boring commercial breaks (on German TV) had just killed me. it were always the same few repetitive, maybe a little shuffled.  of course they had tried to add a little 'superbowl flavor' to their cheap adds. like a twentysomething girl hard mongering a dating agency over and over and over again every break and catches a football draped on the cosy sofa, or wares a helmet instead just lying on the same sofa as in the wellknown standard add, and used some football terms in her modified slogan (sport terms that nobody understand here anyway, beside the hardcore fans)...   

by the way
why is it called football, when they only kick a ball as a special tactical move a few times a game
shouldn't it be called American Rugby

and is it allowed to kick the ball when ever a player want. so did someone instead of throwing the football tried to just kick it a very long distance to a receiver who grabs it in the air, and try to run the few missing yards into the end zone?   

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MikeGER on February 05, 2018, 04:11:23 AMby the way
why is it called football, when they only kick a ball as a special tactical move a few times a game
shouldn't it be called American Rugby

Back when you had "association football" and "rugby football" they morphed into "soccer"/"football" and "rugby", leaving  "football" unclaimed, which at the time of it's invention was far more rugby-like.  Things like the forward pass were introduced years after the game started and was named as "football"

A lot of soccer fans refer to it derisively as "handegg" instead of "football", which is equally stupid.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

I called it a night early as I had my first gym visit in a very long time to do today, but I should have stuck with it. Gotta hand it to the Eagles. Not a huge fan of theirs but I am if they play the Pats or the Cowboys, I guess. Glad the Pats finally got put down and Brady didn't get yet another ring.  :)

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

BanzaiCat

Quote from: BanzaiCat on February 01, 2018, 11:55:45 AM
I have no interest in the Super Bowl this Sunday, tbh. I kind of like the Eagles as I know a few people that love them, but I despise the Pats. On top of that the commercials have declined in hilarity a lot in the last several years.

Besides, the Pats will just pound the Eagles, so who cares.

You say that, and yet you watched some of it anyway. And the Eagles won, so that shows what you know. :P

For anyone that didn't see the Super Bowl, including our fellow Grogs overseas, here's Super Bowl LII in 26 minutes. Without the commercials and most of Cris Collingsworth ejaculating every five minutes about how Brady is just soooooo :dreamer: :dreamer: :dreamer: :dreamer:

Funny how a 3.5 hour event can be boiled down to nothing when you take the BS out!

mirth

Quote from: BanzaiCat on February 05, 2018, 04:55:37 PM
Funny how a 3.5 hour event can be boiled down to nothing when you take the BS out!

Just like a GrogCast
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on February 05, 2018, 04:56:32 PM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on February 05, 2018, 04:55:37 PM

Just like a GrogCast

That's just editing out the "ums" "ahhs" and y'all perguring yourselves.

OJsDad

The Patriots have been beaten in the SB this century. All theee teams to beat them are on the NFC East. Is that correct.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

BanzaiCat

LOL, Reddit picked up on it too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/7vccw7/can_we_please_discuss_how_unbelievably_biased/

QuoteCan we please discuss how unbelievably biased Cris Colinsworth's commentary was tonight? (self.nfl)

Submitted 17 hours ago by jerxjeremy

Tom Brady this. Tom Brady that. Gronkowski this. Bill Belichick that. Seriously hope Tony Romo gets a shot at commentating SB LIII.