Naval War College revisits Jutland

Started by besilarius, May 31, 2016, 09:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

https://www.usnwc.edu/About/News/May-2016/Naval-War-College-reenacts-Jutland-wargame.aspx?platform=hootsuite

One of the participants noted that the US leaders of WWII studied Jutland and learned from it.
Course the IJN leaders of WWII did the same.  Different conclusions.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

Quote from: besilarius on May 31, 2016, 09:20:13 PM
https://www.usnwc.edu/About/News/May-2016/Naval-War-College-reenacts-Jutland-wargame.aspx?platform=hootsuite

One of the participants noted that the US leaders of WWII studied Jutland and learned from it.
Course the IJN leaders of WWII did the same.  Different conclusions.

Toonces, were you at this?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Toonces

I was.  I'm in that picture, the first guy on the left-most side in the white shirt.  I took a bunch of pics and was planning on writing up for the Front PageTM but, you know...

It was pretty cool, though.  I can't remember the name of my ship, I think it was Kaiser Wilhelm.  Anyway, I was on the German side and took a couple of hits, but also contributed to a significant amount of damage to two British ships before the game ended.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Just to expand on that, like it says in the article, they used replicas of the actual models and the same wargame rules they used to use back in the day. 

The room it was held in is the old wargaming room.  Now it's the international students' lounge, but back when they used to do the wargames on the floor, the floor was that checkerboard pattern.  That's what you see in the old pictures.  Now it's all carpeted, so they spread out that checkered mat to replicate what the room used to look like.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mirth

I don't believe that's you in the picture. There's no giant watch.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Toonces

Dude, you gotta look for the wrist bulge.  I'm hiding my watch with my sleeve, kinda like a gansta hiding his prison tats.

C'mon, man, even Maverick didn't wear his watch for everyone to see all the time.

I still might write this up, depending on how my free time ends up this weekend.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Toonces on June 02, 2016, 11:37:26 AM
I was.  I'm in that picture, the first guy on the left-most side in the white shirt. 

I actually suspected that was you. I just didn't want to presume.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.