What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longdan

Similar.......try In War's Dark Shadow by W. Bruce Lincoln about pre WW1 Russia.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Bison

I did see a couple of similar books about the lead up to WW1.  Don't remember if I saw that particular title, but I'll keep an eye out for it.  Although I'd suspect it has more to do with the lead up to the White/Red Russian civil war.

Shelldrake

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 28, 2013, 05:12:06 PM
Quote from: Shelldrake on February 28, 2013, 08:02:28 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 28, 2013, 01:17:21 AM
Finished Day by Day Armageddon : Shattered Hourglass. It was worth reading, even though the last few chapters could charitably be described as a hurried mess. Good grief.

Next book on my to-read list.

Curious to hear what you think of it. I liked it well enough, even with a major change to the way it's told, but...yeah. The ending's a bit weird.

I enjoyed the first half more than the last half. I didn't mind the change from 1st person too much since it let the reader get in the mind of some of the other characters. Plot twist away from strict zombie tale was ok but I agree about the last few chapters being really rushed and not up to snuff. After reading the last page my reaction was WTF?! Not sure if this was the end of the series or not but I likely won't be buying the next if there is one. Too bad as the first 2 books were great. :(
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Greybriar

I just finished Siege of Heaven, the third book of a trilogy by Tom Harper. Now I've started reading The Darkness that Comes Before by R. Scott Bakker, the first book of--you guessed it!--a series of three fantasy novels.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Longdan

Quote from: Bison on April 08, 2013, 04:23:09 PM
I did see a couple of similar books about the lead up to WW1.  Don't remember if I saw that particular title, but I'll keep an eye out for it.  Although I'd suspect it has more to do with the lead up to the White/Red Russian civil war.
I covers the entire period from before 1914 to after the Civil War.  With some commentary about the even worst catastrophe that followed.
IMHOP nobody knows suffering like the people of Eastern Europe, particularly anybody who lived in Ukraine, Belarus, Poland 1914-1954 or so.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Gusington

Greybriar you've piqued my interest in The Darkness That Comes Before...please post some more as you go along.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Bakker is a fracking genius.  You should really read his stuff.  I was unable to finish the trilogy I was reading, as I moved, and have not subsequently gone back to it.  the first two were outstanding.  Sorry I don't have the titles.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Shelldrake on April 08, 2013, 04:48:29 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 28, 2013, 05:12:06 PM
Quote from: Shelldrake on February 28, 2013, 08:02:28 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 28, 2013, 01:17:21 AM
Finished Day by Day Armageddon : Shattered Hourglass. It was worth reading, even though the last few chapters could charitably be described as a hurried mess. Good grief.

Next book on my to-read list.

Curious to hear what you think of it. I liked it well enough, even with a major change to the way it's told, but...yeah. The ending's a bit weird.

I enjoyed the first half more than the last half. I didn't mind the change from 1st person too much since it let the reader get in the mind of some of the other characters. Plot twist away from strict zombie tale was ok but I agree about the last few chapters being really rushed and not up to snuff. After reading the last page my reaction was WTF?! Not sure if this was the end of the series or not but I likely won't be buying the next if there is one. Too bad as the first 2 books were great. :(

I honestly don't understand the last page...the computer was alive? Or something? And what exactly happened that the Chinese 'alien' ended up being what it was? I guess that's the end of the series, though. Pretty sure I've read somewhere that the author's moving on to a new one.

As for my readings, I finished Wars of the Roses. Interesting bit of History, and the relation to the Song of Ice & Fire series is rather apparent. And now...not sure. I've got a Peter Hamilton book called Pandora's Star sitting here that was recommended to me over a year ago. Maybe I'll finally try getting in to that.  :D

Greybriar

Quote from: Gusington on April 08, 2013, 07:42:19 PM
Greybriar you've piqued my interest in The Darkness That Comes Before...please post some more as you go along.

I've barely scratched the surface of this book, Gus. But I can see already that it won't be a snap to read due to the manner in which it was written. The main character's name is apparently Anasûrimbor instead of something simple like Jack. The style of writing requires the reader to pay close attention. If I stick to it until the end, it will take a long while to get there. You would be better off reading the Amazon Customer Reviews than waiting for me to comment.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

I saw that name when I checked it out on Amazon last night...odd one.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

The HBO series Game of Thrones, is going too slow for me now, so I am reading the book(s)
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Martok

Thanks to a conversation I was having with a friend a few days ago -- and pursuant to my having recently finished Shadow of Freedom -- I've been rereading the first two Honor Harrington novels (On Basilisk Station and The Honor of the Queen). 

I've already finished the former, and am now halfway through the latter.  Out of an overall fantastic series, these two remain my favorites by far.  I forget sometimes just how much I enjoy them. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

I'm 50 pages in to The Scourge by Roberto Calas. It takes place during the Black Death in England with the alternate turn that the plague, besides killing everyone, also turns them into zombies. I did not know this when I pre-ordered but I have to admit the book is very well written. It was assembled from a series the author did online and Calas writes pretty vividly. A lot of you would love it, I think.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

TheCommandTent

On a recommendation I just started The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

MetalDog

Quote from: TheCommandTent on April 10, 2013, 09:02:05 PM
On a recommendation I just started The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks.

Let me recommend that you stop.  You can't get back the time you will waste on the endeavor.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob