What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

Quote from: Bison on June 12, 2013, 09:26:13 AM
I really enjoyed that one Spelk.

Yeah I love Space Opera/Military Sci Fi, and this title seems to totally fit that bill. Is a bit more pacier than Jack Campells The Lost Fleet but it's scratching a lot of my similar itches.

I've just grabbed the next two books in the Expanse series, Calibans War and Abbadon's Gate in readiness.

DEVGRU6

Quote from: spelk on June 12, 2013, 02:16:01 PM
Quote from: Bison on June 12, 2013, 09:26:13 AM
I really enjoyed that one Spelk.

Yeah I love Space Opera/Military Sci Fi, and this title seems to totally fit that bill. Is a bit more pacier than Jack Campells The Lost Fleet but it's scratching a lot of my similar itches.

I've just grabbed the next two books in the Expanse series, Calibans War and Abbadon's Gate in readiness.

trying to get into this genre...I have The Forever War but never started it...heard of Campbell...maybe you can recommend another, spelk???...thanks...

DEVGRU6

spelk

Quote from: DEVGRU6 on June 12, 2013, 03:50:19 PM
trying to get into this genre...I have The Forever War but never started it...heard of Campbell...maybe you can recommend another, spelk???...thanks...

I'd probably say try Old Man's War by John Scalzi.

I can also recommend Marshall S. Thomas's Soldier of the Legion - it's gritty very descriptive futuristic combat. Give the audiobook a sample blast to hear some of the book dramatised!

Possibly try John Ringo's Into the Looking Glass.

DEVGRU6

Quote from: spelk on June 13, 2013, 02:39:33 AM
Quote from: DEVGRU6 on June 12, 2013, 03:50:19 PM

I'd probably say try Old Man's War by John Scalzi.

I can also recommend Marshall S. Thomas's Soldier of the Legion - it's gritty very descriptive futuristic combat. Give the audiobook a sample blast to hear some of the book dramatised!

Possibly try John Ringo's Into the Looking Glass.

Hey spelk, thanks a bunch!

Martok

Am probably going to start on Callahan's Key by Spider Robinson later today. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Just started Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder, a steampunk adventure set in London in the 1860s. Excellent so far!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DEVGRU6

Quote from: Gusington on June 15, 2013, 10:20:33 PM
Just started Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder, a steampunk adventure set in London in the 1860s. Excellent so far!

I have it.

bob48

Quote from: Gusington on June 15, 2013, 10:20:33 PM

I need to pick a copy of that up.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Longdan

digni enim sunt interdicunt

mirth

Based on Airborne Rifles' recommendation, recently started - The man who saved the Union : Ulysses Grant in war and peace
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Longdan

^^That is a very good read.  People have been unfair to Grant.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

mirth

Quote from: Longdan on June 16, 2013, 08:51:04 AM
^^That is a very good read.  People have been unfair to Grant.

He's finally been getting his due more recently and I'm glad for it. He was an impressive man.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: mirth on June 16, 2013, 08:42:14 AM
Based on Airborne Rifles' recommendation, recently started - The man who saved the Union : Ulysses Grant in war and peace

Hope you enjoy it.  If you become as intrigued by Grant as I did Grant by Jean Edward Smith is another biography I read.  It focus on a lot of different aspects and information than the first book and the author is much more of a partisan for Grant.  I really enjoyed both reads and learned a lot.

mirth

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on June 16, 2013, 10:42:56 AM
Quote from: mirth on June 16, 2013, 08:42:14 AM

Hope you enjoy it.  If you become as intrigued by Grant as I did Grant by Jean Edward Smith is another biography I read.  It focus on a lot of different aspects and information than the first book and the author is much more of a partisan for Grant.  I really enjoyed both reads and learned a lot.

I am enjoying it very much so far. I'll keep the other book in mind. I've become very interested in Grant since doing more Civil War gaming and reading ACW history.

Thanks for the recommendations!

bob48

^If you have not already done so, then I recommend getting your hands on the 3 books by Bruce Catton which make up the Grand Army of the Republic trilogy. Brilliant reads.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!