What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinetree

I'm into the third book of the Red Gambit series by Colin Gee. A very well written alternate history of World War III set in 1945-47 where the
Soviets attack the Western Allies. Far better than anything by Turtledove; well paced, the combat is extremely brutal and the characters are quite well fleshed out. I like how the armies seem to follow their respective historical doctrines until circumstances force realistic changes. The author is also a wargamer so there a lot of maps (unfortunately not very clear on the Kindle, but he's made them available on his website) and the oobs seem correct. The series has been getting great reviews on Amazon and I'm enjoying them immensely.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

ComradeP

Recreational:

Italy's Sorrow - a year of war 1944-1945 by James Holland.

and

Carthage must be destroyed by Richard Miles

Scenario work:

The Korsun Pocket - The encirclement and breakout of a German army in the East,  1944 by Niklas Zetterling and Anders Frankson.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Gusington

How is Carthage Must Be Destroyed? I have that in the queue.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ComradeP

More detailed than expected, as it also covers the early history of Carthage and many other Phoenician settlements.

I thought it would be primarily about the wars with Rome and events leading up to that, but it offers interesting information on Carthage's early history as well. The Dutch title of the translated version would translate to "Carthage - Rise and fall of a city" which is an accurate description of what the book is about.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Gusington

Sounds good, thanks. Will fill in a big hole in my personal knowledge of that area and era.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Just finished Ostkrieg by Fritz...excellent book. Now about to start Imperial Governor by George Shipway, a novel on Boudicca's revolt against Rome

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Y'all are some ambitious mofos.  I'm doing some light reading.  'Life', by Keith Richards.  Never was a Stones fan, but, I like Keith better than Mick.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

^I love the Stones. How's 'Life'?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Gusington on January 18, 2014, 12:15:30 PM
^I love the Stones. How's 'Life'?

I read it at some point and really liked it. Definitely worth a read if you're a Stones fan.

BanzaiCat

I like the Stones; not a huge fan but I like 'em. I'll put this book on my list.

I'm interested in rock and roll history, too, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Led-Zeppelin-Crashed-Here-Landmarks/dp/1595800182

This is a GREAT book.

Gusington

^I'm sure there's a couple of chapters in there covering the er...shark/fish story...right?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

You mean when Led Zep was shoving shark parts into certain areas of a young lady? I don't think it is. That's kinda gross, I don't want to see where that happened. :P

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Seattle, B_C.  The Edgewater Inn.  The Vanilla Fudge have Super 8 of it.

@Gus: I liked it.  Keith told it in small episodes within chapters, loosely organized. 
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

^YES! Dog knows his rock.

Sounds like a good book on Keith Richards. I'd imagine he has some of the best stories in rock history to tell.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd