What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airborne Rifles

Currently reading the Soviet-Afghan War, a translation of the Soviet general staff study on their excursion in Afghanistan.  Also reading The Malakand Field Force by Winston Churchill about his intereactions with Afghanistan.  Got that one and a few other works by Chruchill for free on kindle.  Interesting how little has changed over there in the last century.

Been thinking about picking up the Game of Thrones series as my escape reading now that I've finished A Rising Thunder.  I haven't watched the HBO series but seems like the books have quite a following around here.  Thoughts?

Gusington

^ I read the first book in the series and liked it a lot. Big fan of the HBO series too. Are there print copies available of The Malakand Field Force?

Also, Bison is right. I am finding Hunger Games to be quite girly. Think I'll skip the 2nd and 3rd books. The story is just not grabbing me the way I like to be grabbed and the story reminds me way too much of Stephen King's The Running Man (and the movie).

Onward and upward!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Here's what I'm currently reading....

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

LongBlade

Great book, W8. That's when the story kicks into hyperspace.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm reading War of the Dragon Lady

It's the 8th book in a series about a late Victorian era officer and his Welsh batman.  It's not the best series, but I enjoy the time period so I like the books. 

W8taminute

Quote from: LongBlade on April 24, 2012, 03:35:00 PM
Great book, W8. That's when the story kicks into hyperspace.

I hear you.  I'm half way through now.  I think the whole series so far does an outstanding job illuminating the reader on just how heartbreaking and gut wrenching Horus's treachery is.  I still can't decide if I want to hate or feel sorry for Horus.  I definitely feel bad for the characters that were betrayed. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

spelk

Currently going through this one, Too Few Too Far - Britains Modern Day Rorke's Drift, apparently.

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Gusington

I am about to start Donald Kagan's The Peloponnesian War to wash the girly taste of The Hunger Games out of my mouth.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Keunert

Tropic of Capricorn by Henry Miller. No idea what this is nor what this Miller dude is about. But i like stories about animals.
1. Dogs
2. Capricorns
3. Unicorns
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Jack Nastyface

Quote from: Keunert on April 25, 2012, 11:10:46 AM
Tropic of Capricorn by Henry Miller. No idea what this is nor what this Miller dude is about. But i like stories about animals.
1. Dogs
2. Capricorns
3. Unicorns
Great book.  Lots of sex.  Didn't like "Cancer" as much.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Bison

Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit rulebook and LnL Band of Heroes rulebook. 

Staggerwing

Quote from: Bison on April 25, 2012, 06:40:33 PM
Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit rulebook and LnL Band of Heroes rulebook.

Not much sex in those two... no special rules for utilizing Anias Nin.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Arctic Blast

Probably going to jump in to Empire of Silver by Conn Iggulden. The first 3 books in the series were like a narrative history of Genghis Khan that seemed to follow pretty close to history. This one starts up a few years later, with one of Genghis' sons in place as the new Khan as the Mongols reach in to the West.

Gusington

^I've been interested in those for a while. You enjoy them? I guess it's pretty obvious since you've already read 3 of them.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd