Dominions 3 MP game [Running]

Started by Yskonyn, February 21, 2013, 06:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

byrdman57

Huw the Poo

Yeah it's going to have to be magic, which is the area of the game I understand least.  Oh well!

JasonPratt

Huw, as a general rule, I don't advance beyond my dominion. You've already knocked that player out, and sometimes a rush to press the enemy is a good idea, but I recommend retreating your forces and consolidating with temples and priests preaching at the borderlines.

U'geek, I was actually hoping to try an assassination on your pretender, but instead I assaulted your fortress. Not sure why, will have to ponder. There was something I could have done to (probably) prevent from being steamrolled by your rescue forces, too, which might have helped me attempt an assassination the next turn, but a different experiment hadn't worked out right and I felt kind of done for this game. :)

Under the circumstances, though, I feel pretty good that I even managed to besiege your home keep!  ;D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 04, 2013, 04:50:26 PM
Huw, as a general rule, I don't advance beyond my dominion. You've already knocked that player out, and sometimes a rush to press the enemy is a good idea, but I recommend retreating your forces and consolidating with temples and priests preaching at the borderlines.

See, I'm sure I've read elsewhere that depending on how the game is playing out, dominion isn't necessarily that important.  I thought that the situation I find myself in was pretty normal and that I'm simply suffering from being a new player and not knowing how to play well.

Perhaps you're right.  Ysk has gone AI now after all...perhaps I should just help Geek take Ubercat out.

Ubercat

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Yskonyn

What?! It seems I might have gone AI too soon!  ::)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 04, 2013, 10:13:11 PM
What?! It seems I might have gone AI too soon!  ::)

I did wonder why you went AI to be honest, and tried to hint that I might not be successful at sieging you.  Remember that this is my first game and I'm doubtless making severe strategic blunders with every turn!

It seems I overstretched, and now I have a worrisome gnat to swat away down south!  :o

undercovergeek

Yskonyn

Well it looked pretty hopeless, I can tell you that.
But this is a good lesson to never give up until its done.
I am sorry for being a quitter. :P
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Ubercat

I wonder if all those good luck pendants will work any better for Mictlan than they did for Niefelheim? Thanks for all the phat loot, BTW.  ;D
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

undercovergeek

Quote from: Ubercat on May 05, 2013, 08:12:48 AM
I wonder if all those good luck pendants will work any better for Mictlan than they did for Niefelheim? Thanks for all the phat loot, BTW.  ;D

lol that doesnt sound like a battle went well!...............

ahh, yes - i couldnt even begin to describe what the hell just happened there!

Huw the Poo

I think I'll be going AI, chaps.  There's no way I can withstand the Mictlan juggernaut and I have no tricks up my sleeve.  Well played, Ubercat!

undercovergeek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 12, 2013, 06:23:30 AM
I think I'll be going AI, chaps.  There's no way I can withstand the Mictlan juggernaut and I have no tricks up my sleeve.  Well played, Ubercat!

me too - im just trying to piss him off at the mo

JasonPratt

!!!

He's mowing down the freaking giants?!? -- this I wish I could see!

Incidentally, in a backhanded way this is exactly why I attacked you early, U'geek. (1) to try, if possible, to keep you from having several game years of uninterrupted growth and development (like Mictlan has had), because the giants scare me more in that than anyone else in our game (including Mictlan), and (2) to keep your attention fixed somewhere while an ally geared up and flankwhacked you.

The main problems with my strategy in that regard was (1) I barely had any effect (so far as I can tell) on your growth and development at all (except in a helpful way!) while crippling my own; and (2) Mictlan was never my ally. ;)