No Man's Sky - Too good to be true?

Started by Jarhead0331, June 17, 2015, 09:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capn Darwin

Vance, have you loaded up any of the great mods for the game? I want to test out the low flying and joystick mods this weekend.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Jarhead0331

I wish there was steam workshop support for the mods...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Barthheart

Huh.... I had no idea there were mods.....  ???

Toonces

Man alive, that Angry Joe was so funny I had tears running down my face.  My favorite part is 30:00-32:00 where the game keeps crashing on him....that was classic YouTube.

I'm so glad you guys are enjoying this game, but I have to be honest.  I just don't see anything entertaining.  Maybe an hour or two, but I know the novelty would wear off way before I got my money's worth.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Rayfer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 24, 2016, 10:52:38 AM
I wish there was steam workshop support for the mods...

JH...do you go by jarhead on the Steam forums? I ask because I saw  thread in the Empyrion: Galactic Survival forums where a jarhead made a post back in the Spring and I was wonder how you would compare Empyrion with NMS.  I am new to Empyrion but haven't played NMS.  Thanks, Ray

Jarhead0331

I'm Jarhead0331 on steam. Probably a different guy.

I do have both games though. Have spent much more time with NMS. Empyrion has a much steeper learning curve and is much more complex overall. As a result it is harder to get into. Its hard to compare them because such a major component of Empyrion is building. Building ships, building vehicles, building parts, building bases, etc. NMS presently only has very limited crafting. I suppose they are similar in that transition from space to planet surface is seamless, but the focus of each game is very different. Empyrion is more of a sandbox building game, whereas NMS is mainly a travel and exploration experience. Not that you cannot do that in Empyrion, but I think you'll find more diversity and more reward for discovery in NMS.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Rayfer

Thanks JH....my 15 hours in Empyrion has been exactly as you spelled out in your post. Sounds like it is different than NMS. But at $9.99 on sale on Steam last week I decided to give Empyrion a try.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

glen55

I hit a wall about 12 hours in, too. But I seem to have finally gotten into Witcher 3, so it's OK. I still don't like Geralt and don't like being Geralt, but I'm apparently managing to get past that this time.

NMS can still be a lot if it gets some more TLC. But they need to hire a programming director who is more of a gamer and knows what elements successful RPG/exploration/spacer games have in them. This game could be so, so improved just by including a few basic things that many other games have. 

And they need to make the PC port less of an afterthought.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Hofstadter on August 20, 2016, 01:30:22 AM

Is there truth in this video and the other claims of features mentioned in interviews and completely missing? Can't the developer get away with the excuse that the universe is so massive that people complaining about this missing stuff just haven't visited the billions of planets in the game?? So all the things mentioned in interviews (different ships, different planet types, different planet life etc, etc, etc) just haven't been found by everyone?

Anyway - I'm glad I was on holiday when this was released
Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 25, 2016, 01:05:14 AM

Is there truth in this video and the other claims of features mentioned in interviews and completely missing? Can't the developer get away with the excuse that the universe is so massive that people complaining about this missing stuff just haven't visited the billions of planets in the game?? So all the things mentioned in interviews (different ships, different planet types, different planet life etc, etc, etc) just haven't been found by everyone?

People already reached the center of the universe more than 10 times (and found the same ending every time).  They should have found something if it was there.
It would also be a stupid thing to do for a developer to hide the main game features so no one will ever see them.

Ian C

Quote from: MikeGER on August 24, 2016, 12:31:54 PM
the low fly mod:

http://nomansskymods.com/mods/lowflight-by-hytek-packed/

For anyone using this watch out if you try to land on a non-level area. It kind of disables the safe-landing sequence and you take major damage from jagged terrain and may die.