No Man's Sky - Too good to be true?

Started by Jarhead0331, June 17, 2015, 09:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

As critical as I am about NMS, this update does look like a good step!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Barthheart

I've been playing around with this again now that I have a rig that can run it properly.  :P

The patch seems nice but it's still the same game as before.... which I liked anyway. There's still not hoards of wildlife on a planet and you don't see predators hunting prey as you walk about.

The new base building stuff is interesting, if yer into to that kind of stuff. Nor big on my list but it is an interesting distraction. You can "recruit" aliens on space stations to work various consoles in your base... in fact you have to you can't work them yourself. Once you have someone at your station they'll ask you for a bunch of a certain resource so they can make something for you. You're given a general description of where to find it. Then you have to go hunt for it. These helpers don't seem to cost you anything... so far anyway... ???

Not sure it was there before the patch as I really didn't have much time in, but the huge ships usually hanging around the space station can come under attack and you get a message to go help out... either side. If you help out the freighters and win you are invited aboard the biggest (main) one for a reward. Sounds good except I could not get on board. You are shown a loading/landing entrance kind of like the space station, but every time I tried I just bounced off the ship.... L:-)

There are now sentinel ships around the space station that will attack ships that are attacking you if you are close enough to the space station. DON'T hit one of them in the fur ball or they will blow you out of space as well....

Haven't tried the other 2 modes, pure sandbox or super kill mode.

jomni

So they're still updating this.  New update includes Permadeath mode, ground vehicles (I guess to help you survive hostile environments better).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDNtbosTCvo

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jomni on March 11, 2017, 09:50:56 PM
So they're still updating this.  New update includes Permadeath mode, ground vehicles (I guess to help you survive hostile environments better).

The main advertised purpose of the ground vehicles is to speed up exploration and movement on planetary surfaces.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

glen55

Quote from: jomni on March 11, 2017, 09:50:56 PM

I like permadeath, just so I can have a way to start over!
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

MikeGER

Did someone witnessed a change to the better in the generated wildlife biotopes after some patches now?
i didn't touched NMS since last summer

more in the direction of the trailers from pre-release (that "Serengeti-waterhole" style, with rich populated herds of large (Brontosaurus) and small animals stalked by single obscure predators and assortment of birds in the sky at the same time) 

Staggerwing

I have not played it much so I'm still on the first planet trying to fix my ship. How do I find power cells to recharge my life support system? I don't see either the units or their ingredients nearby enough to get to.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

Glen55 there is now an option in the main menu to erase you current save and start from scratch, even for the normal mode play.  O0

Mike, I still haven't come across any planets that look like the ones in the promo vids... but I guess that doesn't mean they aren't out there....

Stagger, you need to find the right stuff to build your own or find a base that has one in a box OR has a trade terminal...

Barthheart

There's a new mode called Creative that lets you build anything without need to find the right materials, you can even build all parts of your base without any of the prerequisites.
Play a bit with this on the weekend. I wanted to try out the ground vehicles without having to wait to progress that far.
Vehicles are fun to use after you get used to them. You can get stuck, but usually you can work yourslef free... unles you fall down into an underground cavern like I'd did....  :P
They are a nice addition and let you explore much faster than on foot. Also lets you mine some substances that you hand held laser won't.

Still not anywhere near what was "promised" but still an interesting time waster when you want to relax yer brain....

Staggerwing

Thanks Barth. I'll have time later to try it while I wait out the snow.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Grimnirsson

QuoteMike, I still haven't come across any planets that look like the ones in the promo vids... but I guess that doesn't mean they aren't out there....

In a procedural generated universe like this you can not expect to see something that was shown in a trailer of the game. It can happen, but maybe you never see that, because either it is not generated that way by the algorithms or it is and the planet that looks like the one in the trailer is so far away from you that you can't reach it. The beauty of this game is that it can build a zillion things that even the developers don't expect to see but you have to accept that there's no guarantee for something mind blowing to encounter. Like in real life, you know  ;)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grimnirsson on March 14, 2017, 11:01:28 AM
QuoteMike, I still haven't come across any planets that look like the ones in the promo vids... but I guess that doesn't mean they aren't out there....

In a procedural generated universe like this you can not expect to see something that was shown in a trailer of the game. It can happen, but maybe you never see that, because either it is not generated that way by the algorithms or it is and the planet that looks like the one in the trailer is so far away from you that you can't reach it. The beauty of this game is that it can build a zillion things that even the developers don't expect to see but you have to accept that there's no guarantee for something mind blowing to encounter. Like in real life, you know  ;)

That's a really heartwarming spin on the game, but my understanding is that the video shown in the early trailers and the early screenshots were custom made and programmed for marketing purposes and were not procedurally generated. The game will not create the kinds of scenes that were displayed pre release. I'm pretty sure this is an accepted and admitted fact and a great deal a part of the reason why the developers are still the target of great ridicule.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grimnirsson

Why would you think that it is impossible that a planet like that from the trailer could pop up in this universe? Even if custom made (we don't know that) it could happen because that trailer-planet didn't have anything completely out of the box when compared with what the algorithms in the game are able to produce.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grimnirsson on March 14, 2017, 11:52:54 AM
Why would you think that it is impossible that a planet like that from the trailer could pop up in this universe? Even if custom made (we don't know that) it could happen because that trailer-planet didn't have anything completely out of the box when compared with what the algorithms in the game are able to produce.

I don't know what trailers you are talking about, but here are examples of the ones I'm referring to. You will NEVER see these kinds of scenes in the game. They don't exist, and if you think they do, let us know when you find them. 

http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/15/12487406/no-mans-sky-e3-trailer-vs-reality

http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/1020839-10-ways-no-mans-sky-different-pre-release-trailers#/slide/1
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog