No Man's Sky - Too good to be true?

Started by Jarhead0331, June 17, 2015, 09:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: Rayfer on June 18, 2019, 07:03:50 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on June 18, 2019, 02:51:59 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on June 17, 2019, 01:24:46 PM
I think I am going to give it a serious look when that drops, but I am wary of the stories of extensive grinding needed. If so, my stint will be short I think.

I think the game is meant to be a relaxing experience and these mods help to achieve that by removing or reducing small annoyances :

https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/50  Reduces the cost for launching your ship from the ground
https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/624 Instead of pressing a key for almost one second, this mod provides quicker inputs (and a small cursor as an option)
https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/1022 Increases the stack size by either x2, x3, x5, x10, x15, x20
https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/1036 Enforces a rule that substances and products that can be available in station terminals, will be available.

The bigger stack size reduces the grind because you don't have to travel every few minutes to the ship because your inventory is full !
If you don't want to cheat too much just use the x2 of x3 version.

PD...thanks for the links, the mods look great because the game is a grind and they look to help alleviate it to some degree.  Do you happen to know if they can be used in the Steam version of the game?

Yes they can, this is actually a better site for NMS mods.  Tons of stuff here https://nomansskymods.com/mods/?view=tiles&sort=downloads&time=&category=

jamus34

Thanks!!!

In all honesty the carry capacity one is the one that has my interest. Way too much back and forth and it's a little ridiculous on how low capacity the storage bins are vs their general size.
Insert witty comment here.

JasonPratt

No Man's Thread.... ARISE!!!

The most epic "Internet Historian" semi-satirical internet history thing I've seen them produce that I recall:

Note: also features the funniest commercial for a real sponsored online game that I recall.

Also note: while the first half of the video is a humorous mockery of the situation, the second half is a far more nuanced and realistic, even apologetic, explanation of what happened.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Moreb

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 11, 2020, 04:10:28 PM
No Man's Thread.... ARISE!!!

The most epic "Internet Historian" semi-satirical internet history thing I've seen them produce that I recall:

Note: also features the funniest commercial for a real sponsored online game that I recall.

Also note: while the first half of the video is a humorous mockery of the situation, the second half is a far more nuanced and realistic, even apologetic, explanation of what happened.

That is absolutely brilliant. I watched the first 20 minutes and couldn't stop laughing. What a production. lol.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Yskonyn

The real substance is at the back, though....
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 13, 2020, 05:40:45 AM
The real substance is at the back, though....

True! It's very much a love-letter redemption triumph story, really.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Another huge update dropped today. Looks pretty cool.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2021, 02:39:53 PM
Another huge update dropped today. Looks pretty cool.

Have to given them credit...they have continued to upgrade the game with some major improvements since release.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Yskonyn

Very cool!
And its amazing that all new content is also playable in VR unlike some other games (looking at you, Elite). NMS is the only first person game I can play in VR for extended periods of time.
Its control scheme is super comfortable imo.

Looking forward to managing my own settlement soon.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on September 01, 2021, 03:50:39 PM
Very cool!
And its amazing that all new content is also playable in VR unlike some other games (looking at you, Elite). NMS is the only first person game I can play in VR for extended periods of time.
Its control scheme is super comfortable imo.

Looking forward to managing my own settlement soon.

Do you play it standing or seated?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Seated. Just with my seat rolled back a little to prevent me slapping things over on the desk.

al_infierno

Really amusing read on PC Gamer: No Man's Sky's settlers are the most miserable bunch of creeps I've ever met (And I kind of identify with them.)   :2funny:

https://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-skys-settlers-are-the-most-miserable-bunch-of-creeps-ive-ever-met/
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Another major free update...this one focusing on freighters and fleet gameplay. It is truly remarkable what they've done with this game.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

jamus34

Might be about time I jumped back into it.
Insert witty comment here.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: jamus34 on July 20, 2022, 12:35:51 PM
Might be about time I jumped back into it.

The game has really been wonderfully improved since its release.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.