No Man's Sky - Too good to be true?

Started by Jarhead0331, June 17, 2015, 09:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Quote from: Ian C on August 25, 2016, 04:38:38 AM
Quote from: MikeGER on August 24, 2016, 12:31:54 PM
the low fly mod:

http://nomansskymods.com/mods/lowflight-by-hytek-packed/

For anyone using this watch out if you try to land on a non-level area. It kind of disables the safe-landing sequence and you take major damage from jagged terrain and may die.

So it's like bypassing / disabling safety technology.

Ian C

Quote from: jomni on August 25, 2016, 04:55:33 AM
the low fly mod:

For anyone using this watch out if you try to land on a non-level area. It kind of disables the safe-landing sequence and you take major damage from jagged terrain and may die.

I guess so. Normally, I hit the landing sequence button and the ship lands, if you are generally over terrain. With Low Flying on, it lands on uneven surfaces and my ship slid and stated banging against an outcropping of rock and took more and more damage until I died and respawned.

I guess if you are aware of this and land on flat surfaces only you'd be fine.

MikeGER

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 25, 2016, 01:05:14 AM
So all the things mentioned in interviews (different ships, different planet types, different planet life etc, etc, etc) just haven't been found by everyone?

Anyway - I'm glad I was on holiday when this was released

that will have save you $30 ... i guess you will get it when its at 50% discount sale ;)  ...and you should!

i have whooping 46h in the game , played it reeeal slow with the travel, only 3 systems and 9 planetary objects yet but 2 fully compleated.   
I ve heard there are different classes of star and you need warpdrive updates to reach other star classes (yellow , red, green blue) the higher the radiation of the star classes  the more diverse are the planets, the wildlife to be found on them,  and the expensiver the the loot-objects in the landscape and but alos the more aggressive the sentinels...

so i hope still see some wired stuff on the way for my hefty admission

tip for the beginners: concentrate on finding drop capsules and buy the slot upgrade ...it makes live much easier. 
also i am at a point where i got a recipe for an item easy to build (C, +Th +Pt) and to sell for 30k each ...so no more gold and emeril digging and howling to the salespoint. Th is in space allover the place,  Pt and C easy to find on planets

so i am looking forward for a real big ship soon  (that will be the 4th, and the final)         

JasonPratt

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 25, 2016, 01:05:14 AM
Is there truth in this video and the other claims of features mentioned in interviews and completely missing? Can't the developer get away with the excuse that the universe is so massive that people complaining about this missing stuff just haven't visited the billions of planets in the game?? So all the things mentioned in interviews (different ships, different planet types, different planet life etc, etc, etc) just haven't been found by everyone?

A lot of the complaints involve things that should be sufficiently obvious to any player in the game if they were really included.

I'd be curious to see defenses from the devs, too; but even if the devs are sitting there playing the game saying, look, the features are right there, no one will trust them because, after all, they did use builds where some of those features evidently existed. But they also just talked about features that no one has found yet (in situations where the features should exist), and I have noticed that a lot of the gameplay from the devs tends to feature them talking about features that aren't necessarily there on the screen -- they might be there, but the screen could also be showing what other people have found in their experience instead. E.g., talking about massive fleet battles and taking sides in wars the factions are having and fleet ships doing this and that, but showing footage where a few ships are zipping around and those could just be pirate ships harassing a faction and the larger ships might just be sitting there statically with engine graphics firing (but the player's ship is zipping around so it's hard to tell).

Hell, as Angry Joe (and others) noted, at one point in their marketing the devs basically described what the ending was really going to be like, and then joked that that would be a horrible ending and while a great prank to play they wouldn't dare do that! ...but they demonstrably did.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 24, 2016, 01:36:17 PM
I do have both games though. Have spent much more time with NMS. Empyrion has a much steeper learning curve and is much more complex overall. As a result it is harder to get into. Its hard to compare them because such a major component of Empyrion is building. Building ships, building vehicles, building parts, building bases, etc. NMS presently only has very limited crafting. I suppose they are similar in that transition from space to planet surface is seamless, but the focus of each game is very different. Empyrion is more of a sandbox building game, whereas NMS is mainly a travel and exploration experience. Not that you cannot do that in Empyrion, but I think you'll find more diversity and more reward for discovery in NMS.

There also isn't really seamless transition from planet to space in Empy; and the planets aren't even really spherical: they're made to look that way by some graphical tricks in orbit and by weird forcefield effects shutting off the polar areas while down from orbit. (Also a green haze-line that shows terrain on the other side of the map and instantly teleports you and your stuff there when you cross it.)

I don't have NMS, but there's no doubt the exploration factor is much stronger (even if ultimately shallow; but then that's true for Empy, too.)

One advantage, sort of, to Empy is that because you're cobbling together your tech, it might feel more okay if the combat seems wonky!  :2funny:

Also, and this is important: Empy is still barely alpha, maybe still pre-alpha technically (I haven't kept up recently), and is clearly marked as such. The devs have come a lonnng way since initial release, too.

But like JH said, ultimately Empy is a sandbox building game (as with Fortresscraft Evolved, although both are quite different in what exactly you're supposed to be building and Empy has more territory to work in). It isn't an Elite-ish Evochron-ish game, and NMS is aiming to be a more exploration-oriented version of that.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

BanzaiCat

Just as a practical matter, I don't spend $60 on a game, except in very rare circumstances. The last time I did was XCom: Enemy Unknown, and before that, the first Mass Effect game when it hit stores for the PC.

Times like this, I'm glad for that bit of forced frugality. Though I have to admit if I had $60 to blow (which ain't often), it would be on a board game and not a computer game, generally.

But I definitely am hoping that the devs listen and learn from their serious marketing errors here and patch this into the engaging game that they've been speaking to for a long while before release. This, I think, would be easily worth one of those very rare $60 purchases for me, IF it was just as the dev said it would be.

bbmike

^For me, that next $60 game will be Civilization VI.  ^-^
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

"If you gaze long into the hype, the hype also gazes into you." -- Jim Sterling, the Jimquisition, thank God for him.

To be fair, he previously blasted the insane fan-hatred outcry (linked earlier upthread somewhere).

Note: the video is a lot more balanced than you might expect from Jim.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

glen55

Quote from: Ian C on August 25, 2016, 05:07:09 AM
Quote from: jomni on August 25, 2016, 04:55:33 AM
the low fly mod:

I guess so. Normally, I hit the landing sequence button and the ship lands, if you are generally over terrain. With Low Flying on, it lands on uneven surfaces and my ship slid and stated banging against an outcropping of rock and took more and more damage until I died and respawned.

I guess if you are aware of this and land on flat surfaces only you'd be fine.

It would be nice if you could toggle it on prior to landing.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bbmike on August 25, 2016, 11:51:08 AM
^For me, that next $60 game will be Civilization VI.  ^-^

This is true...though I think Civ VI will be a DLC black hole like Civ V was for a while. Don't get me wrong - I agree, Civ VI should be an insta-buy if at all possible - but I cringe thinking of how many years of DLC drops that Firaxis will be making.

steve58

Just a heads up that if you are not happy with NMS, you might be able to get a refund even if you have more than 2 hours into it.

If you haven't been satisfied with your No Man's Sky experience, now might be the perfect time to get a refund. If you bought the game on Amazon, Steam or the PSN network, you should be able to ask for a refund, regardless of how long you played the game for. This is great news for the countless number of fans who thought they were getting an epic space opera, only to end up with Minecraft with spaceships.

Players on reddit have been successful getting a refund on Steam, even though Valve usually only allows refunds if you've played the game for under two hours. Fans who bought the game on the PSN who put upwards of over 50 hours into the game, also claimed to be able to get a full refund from PlayStation customer support. The outcry from fans must have been too much, because these companies are usually very strict about their refund policies, Sony especially.

To get a refund, just contact whichever provider's customer support you bought the game from and how you truly felt about the game. These companies were trying to do this as quietly as possible and now that everyone and their mother is going to ask for a refund, they might stop giving them out.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/no-mans-sky-refunds-steam-sony-amazon-offer-refund-players-no-matter-how-long-game-552797
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

sandman2575

As someone who passed on NMS and hence has no skin in this game -- I have to admit I've developed a morbid fascination with NMS's tanking Steam user rating... Now down to 41% for about 60K users.  Still "Mixed" but now on the brink of "Mostly Negative." 

(Yeah i know it's a largely meaningless distinction. But I still find the whole phenomenon interesting. Kind of feels like the tide of public opinion has turned decisively against NMS, and seems hard to imagine how the game's reputation might recover, even with DLC/patches...)

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob