(FINISHED) King Grogspocalypse III: Wars of Religion [Dominions 5]

Started by al_infierno, January 20, 2021, 10:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Opening up early discussions for a third Grogspocalypse game.  This is a Late Ages game hosted on the Discord channel Clockwork Hounds.

Per TMNT's suggestion in the other thread we'll be using Clockwork Hounds on Discord to host the server since it's quite a bit easier than Llamaserver.  This requires downloading Discord and creating a free Discord account, which shouldn't be any trouble, but if anyone has objections we're open to discussion.

What did you guys think of using MapNuke versus the vanilla mapgen?  I tend to like the more "complex" landmasses that vanilla creates but it lends itself to unbalanced situations.  I'm open for any option, including using a pre-made maps again.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

TheMeInTeam

I've done a lot of mapnuke lately, so wouldn't mind a change.  Either a workshop map or a random one would be interesting as a changeup.

I've now gone into lategame in LA in addition to the other eras and am happy with any age.

Yskonyn

Have fun with this one people.
I cannot commit, unfortunately.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

W8taminute

I might be interested in joining another game.  Don't know if I can commit time wise.  If I can I have no preference to age or nation. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Myrmidon

Count me in.  No preferences on age or map type, although the MapNukes are recognized as the most balanced.  But I've played some fun games on the random type, just be prepared for some salt. 

I'll throw in another plug for the fantastic DE (Dominion's Enhanced) mod.  But I'm fine with vanilla too. 

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Myrmidon

Quote from: ArizonaTank on January 21, 2021, 12:50:57 PM
What is the game pace?  Time for turn-around?

We've been pretty flexible.  At the beginning, when turn times are super quick, we may have been doing one a day(?)  But on average, at least until towards the end, we were shooting for once every couple of days or so.  RL stuff happens though, and everyone is pretty chill about it. 

Tanaka

Ajidica

If you need someone, let me know; otherwise I'm probably going to take a break from Dominions. The length to which I was dragging out turn submission was sort of disrespectful to everyone else in the game.

If my preference matters, I would be interested in Middle Age game. At least with the default mapgen LA indies can be really volatile. One person might have a capring of pathetic indies, the next might be full of xbows and knights. If other mapgens have more balanced indies, LA might be fun to try.
Nevermind. Indies seem to have been generally increased across the board. Seeing a lot more heavy cav and knight indies in MA, along with them being generally stronger.

al_infierno

I didn't mind the delays between turns.  You've been a solid player in both games and I'd be glad to have you in this one as well.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Tanaka

Any decisions made? I'm happy with any map or age...Just let me know.

al_infierno

Sorry, been sleeping on this one.  How about another Middle Age game?  We can use the vanilla mapgen and remake it if we get a crappy map.  Should we use the Discord hosting this time around?

- MengJiao

Tanaka

Quote from: al_infierno on March 05, 2021, 05:03:26 AM
Sorry, been sleeping on this one.  How about another Middle Age game?  We can use the vanilla mapgen and remake it if we get a crappy map.  Should we use the Discord hosting this time around?

How about a different age this go around? And I have a map suggestion because it looks amazing:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/722060/discussions/1/4198997399072057988/

al_infierno

We did Early Age last game, didn't we?  I'd be down for Late Age if that's what you're suggesting, but I'm gonna get my ass kicked for sure.  :buck2:

- MengJiao

TheMeInTeam

I'm down for late age also.  For those unfamiliar, LA Lemuria is dogpile bait similar to MA Ermor/Sceleria.  LA R'lyeh is underwater popkill with aquatic freespawn that costs maintenance (...).  I won't say not to pick them, but want everyone to know what they're getting into if they do select one of those.

Everyone else is mostly fine, though as usual some nations are stronger and/or easier to play than others.  For example LA Ctis is the worst variant of Ctis, while LA Atlantis is easily its best iteration and one of the better nations in LA.  Also, if you're not yet familiar with communions, get ready.  Almost every nation in LA wants to make at least some use, either through astral or blood.