The 2015 Running Football Thread (College & Pro)

Started by bayonetbrant, February 03, 2015, 07:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Just hoping kstate can beat Kansas this year.  That very well could be the only good to come from a failed campaign so far this season.

MetalDog

Quote from: airboy on October 27, 2015, 11:42:05 AM
I'm amazed that UNC is bowl eligible and Auburn is not.

UNC has a big test at Pittsburg on Thursday.

You shouldn't be.  J'ville State should have beaten Auburn.  They have the opportunity to lose the remaining games on their schedule.  Jeremy Johnson and D'Haquille Williams torpedoed your season early.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

airboy

My amazement at Auburn is that they did not play better with the team they fielded.  The defense has been horrid.  Auburn would have won the Arkansas game if the receivers did not drop so many passes (including TD passes).  But that would have just been outscoring a team while having an inept defense.

UNC gave up an average of 44 points per game last season.  So far this season the average is less than 17 points per game.  But the harder part of their schedule is coming up starting Thursday.

MetalDog

Thought I saw something on the Bottom Line during the Feinbaum show that Carl Lawson was coming back.  That'd be a BIG help to the Auburn D.  Plus, any help the Tigers can give in beating Ole Miss would be greatly appreciated ;)

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

College football teams that (presumably) control their own destiny.  Basically, if these guys win out, they're in the playoffs as conference champs

Ole Miss / LSU  (will play)
Iowa and the Ohio State / Mich St winner
Stanford
Clemson
Baylor / TCU (have to play yet)
---- but here's the mile-wide caveat: both those guys still have to play both Oklahoma and OK St.  People keep forgetting about OK St, but they're unbeaten and if they win out will have wins over all 3 and are gonna get in.

The wild card is Duke.  If they win out, they are in the ACC title game.  Win that and they'll have beaten (likely) either Clemson or FSU.  Would you keep out a 1-loss power 5 champ with a win over one of those guys in a title game?  If it was VT or Pitt or even UNC, no one would bat an eye.  But it's Duke.

The other wild card is OU.  If OU wins out, they've got an ugly loss to Texas (not unlike Ohio St last year w/ VT) but they'll have 3 late season wins over TCU, Baylor, and OK St, none of whom are likely to finish w/ fewer than 10 wins.  Now, OU doesn't control their conference destiny, but would the committee keep them out with that resume?  Unknown.  That's why they don't really control their own fate.

At this point, Alabama needs Ole Miss to lose a conference games, and they need to beat LSU.  They do not control their own destiny.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

Minnesota's head coach, Jerry Kill, has been forced to retire immediately for health reasons. 

The list of head coaching jobs in college is getting long this year.  USC, South Carolina, Miami, UCF, Minnesota, Illinois, Maryland, North Texas.

Looking for Rutgers and Purdue to be added to the list.  I wouldn't be surprised if Toledo, Memphis and Temple may be looking as some of the teams above may raid them. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

I thought Rutgers was already looking.  Are they on an interim coach?  Or did I misread something somewhere?

OJsDad

No, Flood is till the coach.  He was suspended 3 games by the University. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

This weekend, a ranked Temple team plays a ranked Notre Dame team...  per ESPN:
QuoteThe last top-10 opponent that Temple defeated: No. 10 Holy Cross. In 1945.

MetalDog

Game Day will BE at Temple for this game!  They're playing it at Lincoln Financial Field.

bayonetbrant

airboy

8 laterals on the last play and Miami beats Dook! 
The announcers were prattling that this was a "signature win" for Dook before the last play!  Sure it is - playing a team at home that lost 50 - 0 the previous week and scoring with 6 seconds left sounds like a "signature win" to me.

Clemson did not seem to have a defense against NCSU.  But State had even less of a defense.
But both looked amazingly good compared to Oklahoma State - Texas Tech where more than 130 points were scored and there was 1,300 yards of combined offense.

Georgia's coach is rumored to be in great danger of losing his job after Florida hammered them and UGA has no chance of winning the East with a 3-3 conference record.

OJsDad

The ACC suspended the official's from the Miami-Duke game for missing multiple calls on that last play, including the fact the one of the Miami players was down before he made the lateral.