The 2015 Running Football Thread (College & Pro)

Started by bayonetbrant, February 03, 2015, 07:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Grogan played the majority of the 85 Super Bowl and was the regular season starter for most of the season until he broke his leg.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Otoh, 8 Superbowl appearances in 30 years isn't terrible.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

Ask the Bills about Superbowl appearances.

(By-the-by, there's a REALLY good 30 For 30 on Netflix about the Bills and their four-year run...it's called Four Falls of Buffalo. I HATED the Bills back in the day because I was a huge Dolphins fan at the time. But I grudgingly admit what a stellar accomplishment it was to go four flippin' years in a row.)

At least you won't have to ask the Texans. :(

mirth

Well, the Pats are 4-4 in those 8 appearances. Somewhat better than the Bills.

I think it's time for the Texans to go back to being the Oilers.

mirth

I saw that it is on Netflix. Haven't watched it yet.

I have little love for the Bills, but watching them choke against the Giants and Cowboys was tough.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on January 18, 2016, 08:53:18 PM

Well, besides Bud "Superprick" Adams owning the rights to the name and logo it's highly doubtful he'll give that up.

Even when the Oilers were the Houston Oilers, they couldn't close the deal. (Not sure the AFL Championships count since those were pre-merger.) That beating they got by the Bills was fucking beautiful, even I must admit (and they talk about it a bit in that 30 for 30 I mentioned above). I HATED the Oilers. I moved here at the end of '92 which I think was just before their ass-beating. You could feel the entire city deflate. :)

And as for that 30 for 30, like I said...I hated the Bills even more than the Oilers, but I really enjoyed that episode. I didn't think I would, but it was a great look inside the team and their various implosions.

BanzaiCat

Oh, and that 30 for 30: Broke, is pretty damned good too.

mirth

That's more Oilers history than I really wanted to know:P

BanzaiCat

Just common knowledge. I knew enough butthurt people here at the time to have to relive it anytime the subject of the Oilers came up. Fortunately once 2002 rolled around, talk of the Oilers changed to the Texans.

Well, fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your point of view.

MetalDog

I had no animus against the Bills.  But I was raised a NFC guy, even though I had to watch the Jets and Pats along with the Giants every Sunday.  And as much as I have always liked the Patriots, what Kelly and the crew were doing was pretty impressive.  I didn't feel bad at all though when they lost those four Super Bowls.  In a row.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

mirth

I always kinds liked the Oilers. They seemed like loveable losers. Sorta like the Patriots of old.

The Texans just seem like losers.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 18, 2016, 08:59:24 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 18, 2016, 08:53:18 PM

Well, besides Bud "Superprick" Adams owning the rights to the name and logo it's highly doubtful he'll give that up.

Even when the Oilers were the Houston Oilers, they couldn't close the deal. (Not sure the AFL Championships count since those were pre-merger.) That beating they got by the Bills was fucking beautiful, even I must admit (and they talk about it a bit in that 30 for 30 I mentioned above). I HATED the Oilers. I moved here at the end of '92 which I think was just before their ass-beating. You could feel the entire city deflate. :)

And as for that 30 for 30, like I said...I hated the Bills even more than the Oilers, but I really enjoyed that episode. I didn't think I would, but it was a great look inside the team and their various implosions.

Goddamn Houston Oilers. First they self destruct in that game against a Bills team quarterbacked by Frank Reich. Then they blow a lead against that Chiefs team of old retreads (Joe Montana, Marcus Allen) in part by making the half time adjustment to let their rookie left tackle try to block Derrick Thomas by himself. Yeah, that went well... >:(

As for this year, Go Cards! They have a lot of players who I like, and they're getting old enough at some spots that the window is beginning to close. I'd like to see them win. Really, I'm just thrilled to see the stupid Seahawks gone.

Martok

I remember watching that playoff match-up where Reich led that huge rally past Moon's Oilers; it was still in the first couple years of me really being into football.  I didn't really have a dog in that fight, so it was just a fun game to watch. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Martok on January 19, 2016, 03:53:33 AM
I remember watching that playoff match-up where Reich led that huge rally past Moon's Oilers; it was still in the first couple years of me really being into football.  I didn't really have a dog in that fight, so it was just a fun game to watch.

And stupid Cris Dishman decided to just stop covering Don Beebe because SURELY the ref saw Beebe step out of bounds, right? Nope.

I still hate Cris Dishman.