The 2015 Running Football Thread (College & Pro)

Started by bayonetbrant, February 03, 2015, 07:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marty Ward

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 27, 2016, 11:08:29 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on January 26, 2016, 11:04:16 PM
Seriously, dude's clearly a colossal idiot

Oh, absolutely. I meant IF he cleans is act up before O'Brian and the loser express of a management team in this franchise inevitably go knocking on the Browns' door again, hat in hands.

They may have a screwed up ownership but they will never be the Browns. Even Houston can win occasionally with a Browns outcast.

The Browns are stuck in eternal suckdom.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Arctic Blast

I've come to the conclusion that the Browns are existing under a voodoo hex of some sort. It's the only possible explanation for how a team can continue to be that godawful for that long. Some unnatural force has damned them.

BanzaiCat

Bring back Bernie Kosar!

Wait...nevermind. He didn't look well in that 30 for 30 Broke documentary I saw on Netflix...he was sweating rivers under the studio lights.

Marty Ward

Quote from: Arctic Blast on January 27, 2016, 10:01:59 PM
I've come to the conclusion that the Browns are existing under a voodoo hex of some sort. It's the only possible explanation for how a team can continue to be that godawful for that long. Some unnatural force has damned them.

I think it is the uniforms!
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

Bison

I maybe one of the only non-Browns fans who doesn't find the uniforms horrible.  Now Tampa Bay.  Those guys have had shittacular uniforms their entire existence.  Tangerine?  Who the hell decided that tangerine exuded the impression of manliness, or aggression, or threatening.  And the new uniforms aren't much better.  Horrible. 

BanzaiCat

Having a name like "Browns" in this day and age doesn't help much.

I looked up how the team got its name on Wiki, and it's interesting.

QuoteThe name of the team was at first left up to Paul Brown, who rejected calls for it to be christened the Browns. The franchise and the Cleveland Plain Dealer then held a naming contest to publicize the team, promising a $1,000 war bond to the winner. In June 1945, a committee selected "Panthers" as the new team's name, named after a failed American Football League franchise in Cleveland which only lasted a single season in 1926. It is unclear whether "Panthers" was the highest vote-getter, or if it was second-highest behind "Browns", which was again rejected by Paul Brown. However, the owner of the failed AFL Panthers franchise, General C. X. Zimmerman, indicated that he owned the name "Cleveland Panthers", and would insist on compensation if it was used. At this point, Paul Brown bowed to popular sentiment and agreed to the "Browns" name.

mirth

It's Cleveland. The Browns is the perfect name.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on January 28, 2016, 01:42:06 PM

Well, yeah, ever since the entire franchise shuffling crap they pulled. They were actually a decent team before that happened. I remember enjoying watching a Browns game and seeing fans throw dog biscuits at another team backed up into their own end zone.  ;D

Marty Ward

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 28, 2016, 01:43:41 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 28, 2016, 01:42:06 PM

Well, yeah, ever since the entire franchise shuffling crap they pulled. They were actually a decent team before that happened. I remember enjoying watching a Browns game and seeing fans throw dog biscuits at another team backed up into their own end zone.  ;D

You have an odd definition of decent. Here is their record from 1990 -1995

3-13
6-10
7-9
7-9
11-5
5-11

Of course that record doesn't look horrible compared to the second coming of the Browns, 2 winning seasons in 20 year!

Bison

Hey there were over .500 in one of those seasons!

BanzaiCat

I was referring to their late 80s performances. 12-4 in 1986, 10-5 the next year, 10-6 the year after that. That was about it, though. I'm not defending their shittiness, just saying they did have a bright spot, and a relatively consistent one (at least as far as consistency applies to a handful of years).

MetalDog

Quote from: Bison on January 28, 2016, 01:27:40 PM
I maybe one of the only non-Browns fans who doesn't find the uniforms horrible.  Now Tampa Bay.  Those guys have had shittacular uniforms their entire existence.  Tangerine?  Who the hell decided that tangerine exuded the impression of manliness, or aggression, or threatening.  And the new uniforms aren't much better.  Horrible.

Easy there big fella.  Otherwise, I'll ask Toonces to loan you his PT gear.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

OJsDad

Actually, you go back to their founding in '46, they were very successful until the '90's. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

During the 10 years Otto Graham was their starting QB, they played for the NFL title 10 times.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Quote from: MetalDog on January 28, 2016, 03:07:53 PM
Quote from: Bison on January 28, 2016, 01:27:40 PM

Easy there big fella.  Otherwise, I'll ask Toonces to loan you his PT gear.

Underwear and Uggs? I think I'd rather wear that over a tangerine Bucs uniform.