UAE and Israel Reach Peace Agreement

Started by Labbug, August 13, 2020, 10:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

I also wonder what Israel was promised, above and beyond diplomatic relations, to even think of letting those sales go through.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 26, 2020, 01:44:51 PM
Well, that is more than I was aware of and I'm positively surprised. However I don't see any main-stream TV news organizations listed...

I saw at least three on that list (ABC, CNN, and BBC), or four (if MSNBC counts which I think it usually does when complaining about the msm. ;) )

I wasn't trying to say I had missed it from news slanting against Trump; I just had been out of pocket for a couple of days, and didn't see a post here about it yet updating the thread.  O:-)

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 26, 2020, 07:56:08 PM
I also wonder what Israel was promised, above and beyond diplomatic relations, to even think of letting those sales go through.

So far those nations signing on don't seem like direct military threats, so they might see splitting the sheets more solidly against Iranian influence as a win worth pursuing.

I have a feeling Sudan, at least, is going to mar Trump's administration track record about putting new boots on the ground, though.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

I can see the Gulf States giving up Pali/plo/hezi support for F-35s and a middle finger to Iran.
all the Gaza strip has given the rest of the ME is heartburn. 
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Anguille

Quote from: airboy on September 17, 2020, 01:34:44 PM
From what little is not behind the paywall, Israel took in so many Ethiopian Jews that they are almost 2% of the population.  That is a pretty darn generous acceptance of refugees.
Ethiopian Jews are not refugees. This had nothing to do with generosity but with the wish to bring back as many Jews back to Israel as possible.

Tpek

Quote from: Anguille on October 27, 2020, 05:20:33 AM
From what little is not behind the paywall, Israel took in so many Ethiopian Jews that they are almost 2% of the population.  That is a pretty darn generous acceptance of refugees.
Ethiopian Jews are not refugees. This had nothing to do with generosity but with the wish to bring back as many Jews back to Israel as possible.

They are refugees.
They were mistreated and persecuted (and in the past even butchered) in Ethiopia and their lives were in danger there.
The vast majority of immigration to Israel is made of refugees.

Anguille

Quote from: Tpek on October 27, 2020, 10:13:23 AM
Quote from: Anguille on October 27, 2020, 05:20:33 AM

They are refugees.
They were mistreated and persecuted (and in the past even butchered) in Ethiopia and their lives were in danger there.
The vast majority of immigration to Israel is made of refugees.
The political situation in Ethiopia was very bad indeed but the situation in 1991 wasn't the same as the one for the operation made in Sudan for exemple. They were all in their communities and had not fled to a camp or elsewhere, so imho, they are not really refugees. It was a political decision to bring them home in Israel. My point however was to question the argument of generosity in their case as they are considered Jews like European Jews even though they had a different path for nearly 1000 years. It's not like if they were hindus coming from Hyderabad or christians coming from Delaware...

airboy

Guys - If any of you are upset that I used the term "refugees" I apologize.  This was very generous of Israel as I stated earlier - and that was the intent of my comment.

Anguille

Quote from: airboy on October 27, 2020, 11:00:39 AM
Guys - If any of you are upset that I used the term "refugees" I apologize.  This was very generous of Israel as I stated earlier - and that was the intent of my comment.

I am not upset at all. I just don't see why it's supposed to be generous. It's the whole point of the existence of Israel. The country was made for all the Jews, including the ones from Ethiopia.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Sir Slash

At this rate, the Mid-East will be the peaceful place on Earth and we'll be the warzone.  :o
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Biden has put a hold on all arms transfers to multiple countries that the Trump administration got peace deals from.  Often, arms deals are reviewed by a change of parties in the White House.  I do not know how this will work out for the US and other participants.