[closed] Dominions 4 inaugural game (let's make this massive!)

Started by Yskonyn, July 27, 2013, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Last update: Oct 15thth 2013

Host:PBEM Llamaserver. Link will follow
Map: TBD
How Often on Turns: start with 24h interval. Adjust as needed.
Number of Players: the more the merrier
Mods: None

Non-Standard Settings: Hall of Fame entries 15, Renaming is allowed, No graphs, Independents 7
Victory Conditions: Last one standing + Thrones?
Diplomacy Policy: None; do as you wish, keeping in mind consequences in future games, as well as later in that game (if you stab someone early, any alliance later in that game is likely to prove less trustworthy). Trades should be fulfilled
Cheesy Tricks: New players won't know them and won't be ready for them. This is things like sending 50 bad items to someone right as they put up forge of the ancients to make them waste gems; using scouts to constantly siege someone's fortress; and there are probably a few others I historically read about but have since forgotten.

NATIONS (xx)
Yskonyn:

Note1: The hosting time limits are slightly indicative, but we are pressed to make them whenever possible. In other words; if you can't make the turn limit, be sure to post in this thread to let me know in advance so I can extend the time in the llamaserver.
Better yet is sending me an email, which you have gotten in a PM.
I have an irregular working schedule with stops abroad sometimes, so I might put in the odd request for a few more hours/days as well. I hope we can all be flexible about this. If not, then please say so up front.

Note2: (By Lung Drago) I do not expect to meet problems regarding using of exploits that I stumbled upon reading on these forums. But just for the record, I dislike such behavior. Stay fair, people. If you cannot swallow a defeat, then you will be a newbie forever. In spirit of my previous sentence, please do not go AI after a single major battle lost
I will keep this fist post updated with status changes and info as it comes through.

Note3: Remember to keep an eye on the turn interval. I will update changes in interval in this thread.
Be sure to report EARLY if you will not be able to send in a turn in time.
WE CANNOT USE THE ROLLBACK FEATURE! Due to possible savegame corruption.

(Thanks to 3V4JKZ2 for the above format  )

Note 4:
I want to put a very good project into the spotlight made by a player called momfreak.
Mod Inspector

This webpage enables you to select some mods that you will be using for the game and then display accurate information about all the spells and items in the game.
You can also view the stock vanilla game data with this webpage.
Super handy as reference. Works for Dom 4 as well!

Note 5: When the game is setup you will all need to send your pretender to Llamaserver.
You can send your pretender file as an attachment to: (Put in the name of the game in the title, leave the body empty)

pretenders@llamaserver.net

You can find your pretender file in your Dominions 3\savegames\newlords folder.
it has a file format <era>_<nation>_0.2h

It will overwrite and old pretenders for the same era/nation.

After all the pretenders have been sent in the game can be kicked off and you will receive your turns in the mail.
Just send your turn back to turns@llamaserver.net (probably just reply to sender)

Only send in the .2h file. The .trn file is only sent by Llama to YOU.

For a FAQ on Llamaserver go here

OLD POST for reference :
So ladies and gentlemen, here we are at the doorstep of a new era in Dominions gaming!
As per currently available information the game will be released at the end of August. Not too long to go anymore and in order to ramp up the anticipation some more I would like to host the very first Groghead Dom 4 inaugural multiplayer game.
Let's make this massive, and any and all are welcome to join in this orgasm of magic, deceit and warfare! *bombastic music playing*

Reserve your nations already to be ready when the game hits! It will go on a first come first serve basis. The game will be set in the MA to have a (hopefully good) compromise between the new magic and the new normal grunts.

A map will be chosen later, or -if we already know old maps will still be compatible- place your vote for the battlefield right now.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

I'd be interested but I'd first like to check out the new nations in single-player and get familiarized with the changes.  I suck at this enough, as it is.  ;)

I would also be willing to bet that there will be some small updates for a time, after release.  Do you plan a delay before starting?

alastair

Why not make it random nations, since nobody will have had a chance to try them in any case?

Yskonyn

Yes that's a good suggestion, actually.
The idea about this game is just to have fun exploring the new game when it gets here. Like a launch party. :)
Nothing serious, but the more people will play, the more fun it will be.

I like going for random nations for this one!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Wingedflamez

If I am able to get it at launch I would like to get in on it. Still in the air about that though.

Nefaro

Quote from: alastair on July 29, 2013, 05:01:10 PM
Why not make it random nations, since nobody will have had a chance to try them in any case?

Random selection has an appeal.  In the one pbem I'm currently playing, I had joined late and it was a big game.  So I only had a small few nations to choose from at that point, and wasn't terribly crazed about any of them.  So this could possibly make it easier on the latecomers.

A couple things, however.  I wonder which Age will have the best balancing between the Nations?  Middle?  I also worry about the off-chance that some of us may end up randomly getting a nation they're already playing, or recently played, in a different pbem game.

Happerry

I'd be interested in this, if you have room for someone new to a forum. And random sounds ok with me. It sounds like everything got changed up, so even the old nations should have new twists.

Yskonyn

Sure, you're welcome to join. The more the merrier.
I am a wee bit surprised the rest hasn't shown interest so far...  :-\

Faux

Quote from: Yskonyn on August 05, 2013, 10:02:58 AM
Sure, you're welcome to join. The more the merrier.
I am a wee bit surprised the rest hasn't shown interest so far...  :-\

I'd love to play but I already have two games in progress and I highly doubt they will end before the launch. Also I think this time I'm going to learn one of the nations real good before joining multiplayer.

Nefaro

I think a lot of Dom players hereabouts have multiple games going and aren't in a hurry to sign up for another yet.

I'm debating just when I want to start another one, and I'm only involved in a single one entering the late stages.  Can't imagine how others feel who have two or three going.

Huw the Poo

Exactly, I'm not ready to commit to another game just yet.  Groghammer is going to take up all of my allotted Dom time while I'm still in it.

Plus, I don't even know when I'll be able to buy Dom 4.

parone

yeah.  not joining too many is a good idea.  but dom4 is so tempting

Yskonyn

Ow man, so most of you are going to piss on my launch party, eh. :S

Haerdalas

I want to join, but a lot of things are going to be going on for me over the next few months, and I don't know how much free time I will have yet. If you are still looking for people in a month or two, I might be persuaded though.

happyfungi

sign me up.  I am down to one active game that I am playing and one that I am admining, so I will have time to play.   I am fine with random nations or picking them.