What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on May 27, 2017, 08:09:26 PM
And a book on Bloody Sunday in Northern Ireland

That one I haven't read. I'll add it to the list.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Thanks, Wing. I've reserved a copy through my local branch  O0

I'm trying to figure out if there's actually a  difference between these:

https://www.amazon.com/Barricades-Belfast-rights-Northern-Ireland/dp/0800806654

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0575004827?ref%5F=asap%5Fbc&pldnSite=1

Barricades in Belfast isn't listed in his bibliography on Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Hastings

Bison

Interesting.  Goodreads lists them as two different editions of the same book.

mirth

Quote from: Bison on May 28, 2017, 08:00:49 AM
Interesting.  Goodreads lists them as two different editions of the same book.

That's what I was thinking it probably was.

Bison

I'm not sure how much you care, but https://openlibrary.org/authors/OL337400A/Max_Hastings provides the answer.  If you look at the details of the book, you will find the following details.

The "Barricades in Belfast" version is the American edition and the "Ulster 1969" is the London edition.  Two different publishers for the book in two different markets.  The Library of Congress number is the same with the exception that "Barricades in Belfast" has the additional numbering of 1970b, which I believe denotes it as an alternative printing.

mirth

Quote from: Bison on May 28, 2017, 09:40:55 AM
I'm not sure how much you care, but https://openlibrary.org/authors/OL337400A/Max_Hastings provides the answer.  If you look at the details of the book, you will find the following details.

The "Barricades in Belfast" version is the American edition and the "Ulster 1969" is the London edition.  Two different publishers for the book in two different markets.  The Library of Congress number is the same with the exception that "Barricades in Belfast" has the additional numbering of 1970b, which I believe denotes it as an alternative printing.

Hey if you're doing all the work, I'm happy to know the answer ;)

Explains the difference in prices on Amazon too. A copy of the US printing can be had for $13.

Bison

It was either that or decipher a rule book and explain to the kid why wargames are good for you.  I don't have the energy for the latter battle today.

mirth

Gusington

About to start The Ruin of the Roman Empire by James J. O'Donnell. I had to stop reading Ancestral Machines and set it aside for another time, I just couldn't get into it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

I'm also reading A Darkness at Sethanon by Raymond Feist. I've read it a bunch of times before, but it's a great summer time read. Picked it up yesterday and I'm already halfway through it.

MetalDog

Isn't that the last book?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob