Thunderbolt Apache Leader is out

Started by JudgeDredd, July 18, 2012, 03:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

And I'm soooooooooo tempted to get it before I go on holiday in August!
Alba gu' brath

Rekim

ya know you'll cave in way before then...so why not today JD  ::)

I picked up Hornet Leader last year. Not sure the T/A Leader will be different enough to warrant the purchase. Will be interested to hear what people have to say about it.

Barthheart

I've been tossing around getting Hornet Leader because of all the good AAR's I've been reading...

However, it looks like TAL is different in the way it does the tactical stuff... it uses hex shape board pieces to make up the target area with different terrain!

I'm going to the Comic Book Shoppe to see if they have a copy.... my wife is out of town so maybe I can sneak a copy home....  8)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1361210/thunderbolt-apache-leader?size=original

JudgeDredd

Thanks for the push rekim...bought.

I'll let you know. I'd rather splash the cash on a new leader game than a re-release such as Phantom Leader - which is a fantastic game, but hard to justify the same price for an update.

I love the leader series and I'm looking forward to this one. U-Boat leader not so much. I liked it at first, but it's the variations of weapons, sites, targets, pilots and aircraft that make the series for me...U-Boat Leader didn't really have those variations.
Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

Congrats to the purchase Judge  :)
I ve read there will be a tablet version, for Phantom Leader
That would be great for TAL to 8)

are there any PC version planed that somebody heard of?

Its a pitty, a 1:1 representation of a DVG solitaire bord game couldn't be sooo difficult to do while the 'AI' is already build-in the rules and game-mechnics, isn't it?   

Barthheart

Matrix put out a Hornet Leaer PC game back in 2007(?).
I just went looking for the demo, there was one, but the link is now dead.  :-[
I think it was based on teh first release version and only had 3 campaigns in it.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Barthheart on July 19, 2012, 12:51:35 PM
Matrix put out a Hornet Leaer PC game back in 2007(?).
I just went looking for the demo, there was one, but the link is now dead.  :-[
I think it was based on teh first release version and only had 3 campaigns in it.

IIRC there was a sort of demo using VASSAL on Dan's web site.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MikeGER

Barthheart

Quote from: MikeGER on July 19, 2012, 12:57:16 PM
i am downloading right now   :)
ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/HornetLeader/HornetLeader-Demo.zip

THX for the head up

Thank you! The link wouldn't work for me the other day, but does now!  8)

JudgeDredd

Something is lost in translation between PC and boardgame.

For me, that goes for all boargame-PC conversions I've tried - Hornet Leader and Conflict of Heroes.

To be honest I don't really think it's the developers doing anything wrong. Conflict of Heroes (which I beta tested for some time) is a great game - but it has lost something in the translation to PC. Maybe it's the setting up? I hate the setup phase on a PC whereas setting up of a boardgame is integral, required and fun.

Hornet Leader - I didn't have the boardgame before I tried the demo - and I really just didn't get it...it came across a very simple. Yet it's just a representation of the boardgame.

Maybe it's because what is so integral to a boardgame is removed by the PC? Whatever it is - there is one thing I am 100% absolutely sure of - if there's a boardgame out there that is popular, then in it's conversion to PC, it should be represented 100% faithfully to the boardgame. It shouldn't be deviated from (with the small exception of implementing rules). Graphics, game style, playability should remain as the boardgame. But that's just my opinion.

I'll let you know what TAL is like. Hornet Leader is amazing. Phantom Leader was my first and had less content but was equally fantastic...and the era was superb too. I simply cannot wait for IAF Leader! U-Boat leader....well it's here and I'd like to fire it up again...maybe.
Alba gu' brath

mirth

Looking forward to hearing your impressions, JD. I've never pulled the trigger on the DVG solitaire games, though I have been tempted many times.

I do own Modern Naval Battles and the expansion deck which is a fun, quick-playing, light game.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

Have my copy today...woot woot!

Only thing is, I'm busy with my B-17 model tonight...so it might have to wait a few days before I give it an outing.
Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

...how about one of those un-boxing videos, that seems to be in fashion today on YT ;-) 
I bet you will be the first on DVG:TAL  :)

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 23, 2012, 11:17:40 AM
It appears not MikeGer - enjoy

Neat.... did your copy have the US bucks in it??? (watched at work so no sound...)