Main Menu

Core Temperatures

Started by Jarhead0331, June 12, 2020, 09:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Can someone explain core temp to me. What is average or normal? I have a 9th gen i7 with an MSI 2080ti. I downloaded a little program called Core Temp and it says my cores are running between 90-100 degrees under modest strain. The manufacturer's max core temp is listed at 212 degrees Fahrenheit. There seems to be a lot of conflicted info out there over what is considered "normal". Thanks.

I started investigating this because when I'm running programs, especially in VR, or AAA titles, the machine gets loud!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bobarossa

I would say you want to run at least 5C below the max rated temp for your cpu (100c -5 = 95C).  I also use coretemp and the values vary quite a bit, including with room temperature.  You may want to blow out the heat sinks on your CPU (unless you're using water cooling which I know nothing about).  I would have a hose from your vacuum running nearby to suck up the dust so it doesn't just settle back into the PC.  You may also want to blow out the heat sinks on your video card.  My new PC has the intake for the power supply on the bottom of the case so I put something solid and smooth under that end so it doesn't sink into the carpet and get sealed off. 

Jarhead0331

^ok, so I am way below the max temp. Like 50% below.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bobarossa

I thought you were running 90 to 100c (212f)!  My ryzen 5 2600 typically runs 65 to 70c with half the cores running Rosetta@home (protein folding program).

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bobarossa on June 12, 2020, 10:29:33 PM
I thought you were running 90 to 100c (212f)!  My ryzen 5 2600 typically runs 65 to 70c with half the cores running Rosetta@home (protein folding program).

No. I'm running 90 to 100F...the max rated temp is 212F. The system seems to idle around 80F.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

That seems hot.

My I9 9900k with a RTX 2080ti never gets over 70c, even running Doom Eternal with Ultra Nightmare Settings.

It ran hot on Bannerlord till I did a 60fps limiter.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 12, 2020, 11:16:48 PM
That seems hot.

My I9 9900k with a RTX 2080ti never gets over 70c, even running Doom Eternal with Ultra Nightmare Settings.

It ran hot on Bannerlord till I did a 60fps limiter.

70c is 158f. Your system is running much hotter than mine,.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 13, 2020, 12:36:41 AM

70c is 158f. Your system is running much hotter than mine,.

My CPU clocks at 26C at stress. 

GPU ran mostly around 40C but I tracked it at 68C when I had everything at Ultra Nightmare, 21:9, all max settings and a lot of things were going on.   

No issue for my fan setup, Icue can set up better flow. 

Just tried it out with HW monitor and my rig is running pretty quietly and nicely.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

bobarossa

Attempting to get back to your original question, I don't think your system should be getting loud at 100F.  That is very low temps for the Cpu that isn't idling.  I would expect much higher temps while running a AAA title.  My AORUS motherboard came with an APP Center program that lets me adjust fan speed according to temperature (drag set points around and it draws straight lines between them to fill out fan speed vs temp curve).  It may be your video card fan that is speeding up.  Core Temp does not measure GPU temps (unless I've been using it wrong for several years).

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bobarossa on June 13, 2020, 08:26:41 AM
Attempting to get back to your original question, I don't think your system should be getting loud at 100F.  That is very low temps for the Cpu that isn't idling.  I would expect much higher temps while running a AAA title.  My AORUS motherboard came with an APP Center program that lets me adjust fan speed according to temperature (drag set points around and it draws straight lines between them to fill out fan speed vs temp curve).  It may be your video card fan that is speeding up.  Core Temp does not measure GPU temps (unless I've been using it wrong for several years).

That is possible. It could be my GPU fan.

My understanding is that core temp is a measure of the heat of the cores, not the video card. Any other diagnostic tool you would recommend?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 13, 2020, 08:42:12 AM
Quote from: bobarossa on June 13, 2020, 08:26:41 AM

That is possible. It could be my GPU fan.

My understanding is that core temp is a measure of the heat of the cores, not the video card. Any other diagnostic tool you would recommend?

I have always used speccy...it not only gives temps, but a lot of other useful information.  Even with temps, gives you CPU, cores, GPU, hard drive, etc.

https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

Jarhead0331

So I checked my gpu temp and it is much lower than my core temps. It idles around 50-55C and gets around 70-75 when pressed.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bobarossa

Those are much higher than the 100F you mentioned earlier but are inline with what I saw mentioned online for GPU's (~40C when idle; 70 to 80C when running).
edit: just did the math 100F = 38C so only slightly higher than your CPU temp.