Main Menu

Maps!

Started by bayonetbrant, January 23, 2014, 11:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

yeah BC, as I was reading that my feathers dun git ruffled that I remembered... yo ass in Texas.  that shit ain't the South.   :)
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

hows this?

Texas is the Souths New York.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

BanzaiCat

Kansas is flatter than a vegan woman's chesticles. Therefore, there are no hills for hillbillies to roam around in to cut up tourists into meatsauce pies.

Rednecks, on the other hand, abound, except for in Lawrence and Kansas City, where a semblance of civilization exists, as long as you do not explore a street that has a number in the hundreds.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 13, 2014, 09:03:28 PM
hows this?

Texas is the Souths New York.

More like the South's Greenwich Village. At least, that's Houston, which is more or less a big cow patty of Southern trash and Northern business interests mashed into a creamy, smelly paste.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 13, 2014, 09:01:05 PM
Where does that leave Kansas?

in the midwest where its been for millions of years.

or at least until we started calling it the midwest.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 13, 2014, 09:03:40 PM
where a semblance of civilization exists, as long as you do not explore a street that has a number in the hundreds.

or is named MLK.

Staggerwing

So where do you guys figure that the South ends and the West begins? It's got to be in Texas somewhere, all other things aside.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

from my experience, Texas is really its own place.  I'd place the western edge at Arkansas and Louisiana.

bayonetbrant

East Texas (Henderson, Longview, Marshall, Nagodoches, down toward Jasper) is pretty much indistinguishable from Louisiana north of deep Cajun country.  Most of those folks consider a drive into Shreveport of Texarkana "going to the city".  My maternal grandfather's family was all over that area, tho many of them have gravitated to the Metroplex over the past 40 years or so.  There's definitely some redneck in that area, but it's not stereotypical west Texas cattle-and-tumbleweeds-and-oil hicks.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GDS_Starfury

granted I was in Austin.   >:D

people would rather go to Lubbock then Houston.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 13, 2014, 10:25:16 PMpeople would rather go to Lubbock then Houston.

they'd drive to Lubbock and subsequently drive to Houston?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

People would rather go to Marfa than Houston.

At least, I would. The longer I live here the more I don't like it, and it's been 21 years! Can't beat the job market, but mine is pretty flexible, so when my wife retires in a few years...who knows, but we can likely move anywhere we want.

Texas is a mash-up of many distinct cultures. Along the Rio Grande you pretty much have Mexico (take your pick as to which side of the border). Dallas tries hard to be urban and metrosexual, but the only thing it truly succeeds at is traffic congestion. Houston likes to think it's progressive and happening, with it's "first ever lesbian mayor," which the media loves to bring up every chance it gets (the lesbian mayor that is fighting hard to give "transgendered people" (:2funny: I can't type that with a straight face, color me intolerant if you must) the right to use whatever bathroom they want, no matter their plumbing...because you know, there's not more important things to spend your time on here). East Texas is pretty much as Brant says. West Texas is super-hick meshed with super-oil. South Texas (north of Rio Mexico) is pretty much redneck cowboy cattle country.

Lubbock and Amarillo are pretty much Twilight Zone episodes in the middle of nowhere, but at least Lubbock has Texas Tech while Amarillo has...uhh...has...the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame, I guess.

bayonetbrant

Amarillo has the world's largest helium deposits

Airborne Rifles

I've been through Marfa. On my way to...well...some nameless place in Big Bend country and back. I'm convinced a lot of the people living around there are hiding from the government.

bayonetbrant