Main Menu

Maps!

Started by bayonetbrant, January 23, 2014, 11:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Martok

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 07, 2014, 09:19:23 AM
Just noticed there's no 49ers logo anywhere.
Can't be true - 49ers fans are some of the most obnoxious self-entitled twats I've ever met
I also noticed a complete lack of Jets logo -- but perhaps that's for a reason.  ;D 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bayonetbrant

What every country leads the world in

click to enlarge
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

What's weird is that I can only click to enlarge while in post composition mode and scrolling down to the map in your post. In the regular reading window it shows non-clickable.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

that is weird.  lemme see what I can do with it

edit:  try it now
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

I'm using Safari atm, if it helps.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

eyebiter

bayonetbrant

This is cool - a fish could actually swim from the Pacific to the Atlantic.  I might need to make a road trip to Wyoming to see the Two Ocean Pass

QuoteReddit user wheatley_cereal has posted a factoid that we have no doubt is widely known among Mountain West residents, but of which the rest of the country is almost certainly unaware: It's possible for a fish to swim directly from the Pacific to the Atlantic without having to dodge Panamax ships in the canal zone.

The area is commonly called Parting Of The Waters.

There's even a point marking the divide, called Two Ocean Pass, located in Wyoming. At this pass the Atlantic Creek (which flows northeast to meet the Yellowstone river) with the Pacific Creek (which flows southwest to join the Snake River). The point actually sits directly atop the Continental Divide, where a raindrop has a 50-50 chance of flowing out to the Pacific or down to the Gulf.

It's a bit tricky to follow the full route on Google Maps, but it goes something like this:

Columbia River (Wa.) → Snake River (Ore.) → Teton streams (Wyo.) → Yellowstone Lake (Wyo.) → Yellowstone River (Wyo.) → Missouri River (MT) → Mississippi River

more here, too: http://mmarkmiller.wordpress.com/2012/03/15/two-ocean-pass-and-the-mystery-of-the-fishless-waters/

Martok

I'll be damned -- I'd never heard of that before.  Thanks for sharing chief. 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

eyebiter

Centurion40

Partially explains why mirth lives in Maine.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Martok

Quote from: Centurion40 on May 08, 2014, 07:22:48 AM
Or perhaps he's the reason Maine has such a large number (per capita) of breweries.  ;D 

Centurion40

Quote from: Martok on May 08, 2014, 08:02:29 AM
Quote from: Centurion40 on May 08, 2014, 07:22:48 AM
Or perhaps he's the reason Maine has such a large number (per capita) of breweries.  ;D

Hmmmmm....
Any time is a good time for pie.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)