Retro Me262 COMPLETE!!!

Started by JudgeDredd, May 02, 2015, 04:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Those pictures showed it needs some more tlc before I get on with primer. Damn that putty was tough!

I need more sanders. The ones I've got are a bit on the large side. I'll also have to use the fine grade - I can see a lot of scratching

:'(
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 20, 2015, 11:03:16 PM
I don't really like the putty I'm using...it goes off really quick and therefore goes on thicker than I'd like. I've ordered some different stuff.

The model is a prime example of how bad tooling used to be...but I think it'll cover up well with primer

I've not used it yet, but I grabbed a tube of Tamiya's white modelling putty.  Not sure about it's properties but it seemed to get good reviews regarding it's malleability and ease of sanding, so I grabbed a small one in case it was needed.

JudgeDredd

I ordered some Vallejo based on what I had read.

I don't know what I've got, but it's more like brick mortar than modelling putty!  :))
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

This model is definitely pushing my skill boundaries.

On the plus side, it's getting me to try things I hadn't ventured into before.

I now know why my dad had such a desire to burn them when he made them!!  :buck2:

I've got a beautiful looking Revell P-47 Thunderbolt (bubble top) waiting in the wings (pun intended!)...although the Razorback is my preferred version
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 21, 2015, 12:36:50 AM

I've got a beautiful looking Revell P-47 Thunderbolt (bubble top) waiting in the wings (pun intended!)...although the Razorback is my preferred version

Oooo!    :smitten:

JudgeDredd

Ok...tonight's the night...my trial with the airbrush (well, second attempt - first wasn't as expected)

Filling isn't as good as it could be I guess - but I'm not really used to it and I've got very few options in sanding sticks. So it'll have to do. The model was a complete ball ache to make. Those early machined kits were bloody hard work. I'm glad my dad made most of them when we were kids.

The airbrush has been really holding me back. I guess once I get used to it, it'll be ok...but paint/thinner mix, pressure, accuracy, paint flow...there's ALOT that could go wrong

Anyway...here goes.
Alba gu' brath

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

That looks mental.

I'm not at a "building stage" where I can afford models of that calibre. You have to be able to do them justice. I have a lot of practice before then.

Well - I've done the primer. Mixed feelings about it really. I started off with it thinned (I'm using Vallejo primer) and it was too runny. So I put the next lot in neat. By the end - it had really thickened on the needle. Thankfully - that wasn't until I had finished. So I'm going to have to research my primer and see what's the best one out there.

Anyway - primer done on the Me262 and the P-51 I am working on. I still have to do the nose of the P-51 and I have to work out the best ways to put the model when painted because I think I've marked the bottom of the engines on the Me262!

Like I said - this is a learning curve for me. I have to say though, I thoroughly enjoyed using the airbrush. It wasn't as scary as it looked. It took a fair bit of cleaning out that primer though.

Primer was the easy part though. Pre-shading (if I do that) and then the paint scheme are going to be the real test.

Alba gu' brath

Tuna

I used to use the Spray Can's still for Primer.. what was it called Krylon or something like that?

Then the Airbrush for the regular coat and finishes..

JudgeDredd

I do have a tin of Tamiya primer which is actually very good - but you can't regulate the pressure - it just comes flying out. Not a bad result - but it was stressing me using it.

So - some pre-shading. Again - a new technique for me...

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

The other thing with spray cans is ventilation - you need lots of it.
Alba gu' brath

LongBlade

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 08, 2015, 02:02:27 PM
The other thing with spray cans is ventilation - you need lots of it.

Heh. Yeah.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Tuna

lol.. with the Spray Can I would do just outside the cellar door, plenty of ventilation!.. with my Airbrush I did Acrylics, not as bad with the fumes!

JudgeDredd

I've put the blue on

Some things I'm learning...

• Pre-shading - try and be a bit tidier. It doesn't have to be exact lines - but a little more "regular" would be good
  • Load the cup with enough paint because if you have to use more and it's different (mix of thinners and paint) then it'll likely show
  • Go slow. Build up layers

I may not pre-shade on 1/72 again. It's a real pita and I simply don't have steady enough hands for it.
Alba gu' brath

Tuna

Always though 1/72 was too small..Maybe for big bombers to save room, but other than that.. 1/48 is a lot better, more detail, not too big space wise.