Duxford Flying Legends

Started by JudgeDredd, July 11, 2015, 05:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Going here this weekend with my wife and youngest

http://www.iwm.org.uk/events/iwm-duxford/flying-legends-air-show

This is a list of aircraft taking part

https://www.flyinglegends.com/aircraft.html

Unfortunately all I have is an Olympus SP-610uz, 14Mp with 10x Optical zoom...so my pictures of the in-flight entertainment may not be great...and I'm not a photographer anyway - so getting great pictures will prove difficult - but hopefully I'll get a few good ones.

Also - as Hannants (a model shop) is going to be there and offered 10% off online orders to be picked up, I managed to snatch a 1/32 Revell Spitfire Mk IIa and a 1/32 Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3  ;D
Alba gu' brath

DoctorQuest

Take me! Take me!

Seriously, have a good time and any pix you can post will be greatly appreciated.

One of my "bucket list" items is visiting all the aviation museums on the planet and Duxford is right up there.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

bob48

Have a great time, JD - get plenty of piccies.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

MIGMaster

Awesome - looks like a great time!

JudgeDredd

Photos coming...there's ALOT!

Sorry - they aren't great quality, but I'm no photographer, I don't know about exposures, lighting etc (and it was quite a dull day mostly) - so the images aren't like the ones you see from people who take this big ass cameras and lenses.

Some are quite arty though  :2funny:

I'm sifting through them now, removing duplicates...but there's a lot. Then I have to upload them and then post the links!
Alba gu' brath

mirth

I'm jealous. Looking forward to the pics though ;)
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

Ok - a quick snip before I go to bed...

These were The Manhattan Dolls and apparently they were genuinely from New York. They were singing 40's songs and doing a fantastic job.

Anyway - when the B-17 was flying around, the commentators kept quiet and The Manhattan Dolls sang "Gonna take a sentimental journey"...it was just classic. Seeing that big beautiful bomber fly past and hearing that song sang in authentic 1940's style...just stunning

Alba gu' brath

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

Quite a list.

Isn't that P-38 the only one anywhere close to flying condition?

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

OJsDad

One of the great things about living in England in the 80's was the their love for the B-17's.  Coming back to the states and no one seemed to know what a B-17 was.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: OJsDad on July 12, 2015, 08:43:24 PM
One of the great things about living in England in the 80's was the their love for the B-17's.  Coming back to the states and no one seemed to know what a B-17 was.
:o

The most beautiful bomber of the era in my opinion. Such a sleek, mischievous, beautiful looking big girl. Iconic in every way
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 13, 2015, 12:22:50 AM
Quote from: OJsDad on July 12, 2015, 08:43:24 PM
:o

The most beautiful bomber of the era in my opinion. Such a sleek, mischievous, beautiful looking big girl. Iconic in every way

I think the B-24 looks better.  May not have been quite as sturdy but it was easier on the eyes.

The B-29 was pretty damn ugly in comparison to the others.  ;D

MikeGER

great pics  O0    that must have been a terrific weekend
please more  pics :)

ps: what are those two guys in the background on the pic carrying in their strange formed backpacks ...ironing boards? a bay watch swimming buoy?

JudgeDredd

lol - I noticed that MikeGER - I'm going with foldable surf boards. It rained enough to take them.

When I post the pics, you'll see how angry the sky was - it was a real mix of weather. Hot, cold, wet, dry, sunny, cloudy...I had it all. Even got a nice face tan!
Alba gu' brath