Warhammer 40K: Darktide

Started by Jarhead0331, July 24, 2020, 08:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I thought Deathwing did an exceptional job of nailing the environments of a spacehulk and the armor of the Terminator marines was exquisite. However, there was something missing overall, and although I enjoyed that game, it did feel a little light and hollow. Darktide so far really has fantastic atmosphere and the cutscenes are really awesome. You really feel like a meaningless cog in the great Imperial war machine. I only have an hour in so far, but it looks and plays great and both gun play and melee are very satisfying.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

I agree with the feel of the armor in Deathwing being great.

I kinda felt that some of the mechanics of Deathwing were wasted on a meh game.  I didn't hate it, but never loved it.

I see a ton of potential with Darktide if Fatshark supports it like Vermintide 2, and I see no reason to think they won't.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

My main problem with Deathwing, is that it didn't play like Space Hulk. You can do a 1st person shooter that plays like SH -- Electronic Arts proved that back in the days of the original DOOM with the first computer adaptation of SH! But this was L4D style play with (admittedly lots and lots of) SH aesthetics. (And a highly buggy release which got upgraded to an enhanced version eventually.) I have often tried to get into Deathwing, and I just cannot do it. (Yet. Maybe someday.)

It's sort of like using the Dawn of War engine for Space Hulk missions. Sure, you can do that, and DoW2 did do that in their campaign, and you can set that up with mods (like Ultimate Apocalypse and other successors to the Soulstorm engine) -- but you aren't getting the tactical claustrophobia of Space Hulk. If I want to play L4D in a SHulkie kind of way, I'll play Deep Rock Galactic which is a vastly much better game implementation, albeit without the WH40K setting (which is admittedly worth something in itself).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

It's very interesting to read the opinions of all of you. No doubt Dark Tide is a good game.

Things I think Deathwing has over Darktide:

- A map you can interact and plan with.. disabling turrets from the map is a thing iirc
- Hacking that is not canned but rather a useful skill.
- Being able to lock, hack or destroy doors that actually stops enemy from surprising you in those directions
- Slash directions
- Space Marines from the Dark Angels Deathwing no less
- Feels more like a sim than an arcade shooter
- More character classes - Librarian, Apothecary, Tactical, Assault, Heavy Weapons, Interogator Chaplain.
- Enemies that are not primarily reskins of your own classes for the early levels I played anyway.
- It felt like the hive was controlling the waves of genestealers somewhat, like an intelligence was using them strategically to ambush and attack or defend certain areas more. In Darktide the only impression I got was that I had reached a "save point" and thus a developers point for a horde to attack.
- In Deathwing there are areas you avoid because you simply are not strong enough to pass through them. In Darktide you must pass through all areas because you are on rails.There is only one way.
- In Deathwing you must find your own way to extraction. It's hectic planning that while under fire. You can easily go the wrong direction and get worn out and killed slowly before realising you were not even going the right way. There are plenty of dead ends that seem to go the right way.

Things Darktide has over Deathwing
- Ammo that runs out
- Variety of enemies
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"