Main Menu

Winter Wars

Started by MengJiao, May 05, 2020, 02:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philthib

Quote from: MengJiao on May 08, 2020, 06:32:46 AM
what the hell is the Winter War based on WAW on steam?  Why is it a separate version that doesn't link up with the other WAW components on Steam?  Very strange.

Hi All,

The Winter War game is based on a new engine, called SGS (Strategy Game Engine) and you can see my website for it here: https://strategygamestudio.com/

To cut a long story short, I acquired a license of the WAW engine to get the base behaviour, but I changed 70 to 100% of things in the movement and combat system, and also added a bunch of new features.

So WAW games and this title are NOT at all compatible, even if you can find here and there some resemblance. Those are two different games.

WAW titles and the game itself is overall quite good and easy to play. Some scenarios are better than others for sure, but there is a lot to choose from, and good buy IMHO.

This new title, Winter War, is a different stuff, and more detailed and engineered to represent mostly WW2 battles for now.

Staggerwing

Glad you dropped by Philip!

Thanks for the clarification. Are you planning to use this customized engine for games set in other parts of the ETO? If so, will those link up with Winter War?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MengJiao

Quote from: Philthib on May 14, 2020, 05:06:40 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on May 08, 2020, 06:32:46 AM
what the hell is the Winter War based on WAW on steam?  Why is it a separate version that doesn't link up with the other WAW components on Steam?  Very strange.

Hi All,

The Winter War game is based on a new engine, called SGS (Strategy Game Engine) and you can see my website for it here: https://strategygamestudio.com/

To cut a long story short, I acquired a license of the WAW engine to get the base behaviour, but I changed 70 to 100% of things in the movement and combat system, and also added a bunch of new features.

So WAW games and this title are NOT at all compatible, even if you can find here and there some resemblance. Those are two different games.

WAW titles and the game itself is overall quite good and easy to play. Some scenarios are better than others for sure, but there is a lot to choose from, and good buy IMHO.

This new title, Winter War, is a different stuff, and more detailed and engineered to represent mostly WW2 battles for now.

It's a fine game and works well (except for the Pursuit phase thing which I imagine is something from WAW that you might as well remove).  I think just about any WWII operation could be beautifully covered by this system.  Can you link campaigns? (ps -- I mean link scenarios into a campaign)  I was thinking of doing the late-sixteenth-century alarms and entanglements and raids between England and Spain from say 1555 to 1603 as a series of campaigns...first maybe Phillip's idea of retaking England (of which he had just been King anyway), then some Revolts of the Netherlands and then some French Wars of Religion Part I and then some Piracy and then some More Piracy and then The Infernal Machine in Amsterdam and then Drake's Raids and then the Butterboat Bomb and other events
of 1588 and then some more Raids and religious Wars all to give the Spanish many chances to fix up their galleons (I guess that's almost 50 years and around 11-12 campaigns) plus the conquest of the Azores (1582):

airboy

"To begin with, I'd definitively agree that "Talvisota", or Winter War from 1989 remains the definitive war movie, it still looks rather good despite at times showing its age and low(ish) budget. A village from the Finnish rural bible belt area going to war. If you can get your hands on a region free 4K restored Blu-ray you can certainly spend your money way worse. If you don't mind subtitles, that is."

My copy arrived this week.  This is a long, two DVD movie.  A bunch of Finn's from a small farming town all get mobilized during the negotiations with the Commies after Stalin & Hitler killed Poland.  Everyone in the unit knows each other and they are pretty much all of the males of military age in the area.  This was a total mobilization.

The soldiers have such poor equipment that many have no uniforms.  The training they had ranged from the poor (served in the 1918 revolt that tossed out Russian rule), to the average (national guard types) to the nonexistent.  They get sent into a trench/minor fortification line in South Finland towards Leningrad.

This is a straight up, long term infantry combat with outnumbered, poorly equipped men fighting against human wave tactics backed by armor, artillery & airpower.  The dumb ones die fast and slowly the veterans die off.  Many just unlucky - although some snap during combat.  The equipment and the number of people fighting are just amazing.  The idiotic human wave tactics the commies were using were literally piling up bodies - but the firepower advantage kept wearing down the Finns.

The uniforms, acting, number of extras, and equipment are impressive.  Watching Finns attempting to take out armor with Molotov cocktails was horrifying. 

This is a very good movie as long as you don't mind watching something with subtitles.

SirAndrewD

Agreed Avery.

I love the movie so much.  It's in my top five easily with Das Boot, Patton, Cross of Iron, Tora Tora Tora,  Lion of the Desert.   

Subtitles are a part, but no big deal.  It's absolutely worth it. 

I saw it the first time, getting it from a particularly weird Blockbuster that had odd films like I Bombed Pearl Harbor and Port Arthur.   

I was speechless the first time I saw it, and it holds up today.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

i bought the movie after reading about it here, was only $10.  i'll have to watch again as the first time it didn't really click with me as much as others have described.  it wasnt because of the subtitles, not sure what.  but maybe i just wasn't in the right mood at the time.

JasonPratt

Where the heck are y'all getting your copies?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 24, 2020, 10:25:17 AM

Ebay, paid $10 and came within about 2-3 days.  Brand new and shrink wrapped.

airboy

Got mine from ebay.  Shipped from Korea brand new.  Could choose between Korean or English subtitles.

Con

Quote from: airboy on May 24, 2020, 10:57:15 AM

Got mine from ebay.  Shipped from Korea brand new.  Could choose between Korean or English subtitles.
I can only imagine how the N Korean translation would go

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd