Top 5 PC Games of 2018

Started by Grim.Reaper, January 01, 2019, 11:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

Based on hours played and on the fun factor I nominate Assassins Creed Odyssey.

glen55

Quote from: Pete Dero on January 02, 2019, 01:17:27 PM
Based on hours played and on the fun factor I nominate Assassins Creed Odyssey.

Just like Pete: based on hours played, Odyssey by far.
Kingdom Come Deliverance is next.
Subnautica would have to be 3rd.

Those are all outstanding games that got my attention away from the old reliables on the hard drive, and that's stiff competition. The only other new game coming to mind that I played and enjoyed was Monster Hunter World, but it didn't keep my interest after Odyssey came out.

I think the best-reviewed game of the year was Into The Breach, but I just couldn't get into it, nor have I seen much buzz about it on this forum.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: jomni on January 02, 2019, 09:39:59 AM
Quote from: Anguille on January 02, 2019, 08:49:04 AM
Quote from: jomni on January 01, 2019, 06:41:48 PM
Field of Glory II

Wasn't it released in 2017?

Omg. You're right.

Doesn't matter if released in 2018....interested in what games received the most play time or recommended in 2018......I am sure there are many games we all purchased in 2017 that we didn't get around too.

MC

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 02, 2019, 04:54:08 PM
Quote from: jomni on January 02, 2019, 09:39:59 AM
Quote from: Anguille on January 02, 2019, 08:49:04 AM
Quote from: jomni on January 01, 2019, 06:41:48 PM
Field of Glory II

Wasn't it released in 2017?

Omg. You're right.

Doesn't matter if released in 2018....interested in what games received the most play time or recommended in 2018......I am sure there are many games we all purchased in 2017 that we didn't get around too.

.....I am sure there are many games we all purchased in 2017 that we didn't get around too

2017??!!  Try 2016, 2015, 2014, blah, blah, blah!!  It's hopeless.  :'(

Grim.Reaper

It's funny, most of the recommendations mentioned here, I actually own....maybe I should just play what I have more versus looking to squeeze in a few more purchases before the sales end:)

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: stolypin on January 02, 2019, 12:14:10 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 01, 2019, 11:17:54 AM

1)  ActionPC Golf - My favorite sports game that gets updated every year....easily one of the most played games for me.

Interesting pick.  I've owned one or more versions of every ActionPC sports game except the golf game.  You may have given me a nudge.

If you enjoy the sport of golf, I can't recommend it enough.  Best Golf strategy game I have played and my favorite game of all the ActionPC games.  There is like 146+ courses available and a bunch of seasons, of course you'll need to purchase separate.  However, there is a user community that has created about 50 of those courses which is FREE for download and they are of very good quality.

My personal ranking of all the ActionPC Games (assuming you like the sports equally):  Golf, Hockey, Football, Baseball/Basketball (kind of a toss up for me since not a huge fan of either sport).  What's nice about the company, you get a 30 day money back guarantee.  You can buy and try the golf game  and if you don't like it, return it within 30 days.  No risk to give it a shot.

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

GroggyGrognard

Other than Armored Brigade--which really didn't end up hitting a sweet spot for me--and TOAW IV, alot of my PC gaming time from this past year wasn't taken up with wargames.

Off the top of my head, here are my top 5 PC games from 2018:

1) The Return of the Obra Dinn (highly recommended.)

2) The Banner Saga 3 & Pathfinder: Kingmaker (close tie.)

3) One Deck Dungeon

4) Battle Brothers-Beasts & Exploration DLC (not technically a full game, but a fantastic expansion.)

5) ATOM RPG

And, I would like to add that even though TOAW IV came out late 2017, it was my favorite PC wargame (and most played) for 2018.

I was hoping to buy Strategic Command WWII: World at War and John Tiller's Panzer Battles:Battles of North Africa 1941
before the end of the year, but just couldn't get the funds together.

Groggy

"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

Kushan

2018 was a year of misses for me; Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Far Cry 5, various DLC...

My top 3 (in no particular order):
1) Armored Brigade
2) Assassin Creed Odyssey
3) Battletech
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GroggyGrognard on January 02, 2019, 10:37:02 PM
Other than Armored Brigade--which really didn't end up hitting a sweet spot for me--and TOAW IV, alot of my PC gaming time from this past year wasn't taken up with wargames.

Off the top of my head, here are my top 5 PC games from 2018:

1) The Return of the Obra Dinn (highly recommended.)

2) The Banner Saga 3 & Pathfinder: Kingmaker (close tie.)

3) One Deck Dungeon

4) Battle Brothers-Beasts & Exploration DLC (not technically a full game, but a fantastic expansion.)

5) ATOM RPG

And, I would like to add that even though TOAW IV came out late 2017, it was my favorite PC wargame (and most played) for 2018.

I was hoping to buy Strategic Command WWII: World at War and John Tiller's Panzer Battles:Battles of North Africa 1941
before the end of the year, but just couldn't get the funds together.

Groggy

What can you tell us about Atom RPG? It certainly caught my eye when it was released.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

I think Pillars 2 was the only new game I played in the last year. It would get a big. "Hell-Yeah" from me and I would echo Groggy's endorsement of TOAW 4.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Skwerl

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor Martyr
Warhammer 40K Mechanicus
Armored Brigade
AI War 2
War of the Zombie

Gusington

I picked up Mechanicus during the winter Steam sale. It looks delicious.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GroggyGrognard

Quote from: Jarhead0331
What can you tell us about Atom RPG? It certainly caught my eye when it was released.

Honestly, so far I have only played a few hours, but of what little I have played, I have really enjoyed the game. Apparently the game has some meaty substance and content--so for 15 dollars I think there is some real value here. The background story is intriguing--it takes place in the USSR in the year 2005, 19 years after a nuclear annihilation takes place. The game itself takes place in a small section of the USSR. The emphasis is on dialogue choices, an open "world" to explore, and turn based combat. The game is right up my alley because it is an almost exact clone of the early Fallout games which i have always loved. Graphics-wise and gameplay-wise it's like you are playing an updated version of Fallout 1 & 2, but with a strong Soviet flavor. There are some minor bugs and typos but nothing that can't be worked in future patches. Again, for the price, I think this is a strong RPG. Hope this feedback helps.

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin