[Dominions 5] Grogspocalypse Now! (FINISHED)

Started by al_infierno, May 06, 2020, 08:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

It sounds like you're due for a new computer solops.  Don't feel guilty about getting a new one.  It's not a Father's Day plot, you need a computer for your "work".   ;)

No worries on waiting for the next turn.  We'll still be here. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

solops

I tried again this morning. No joy. A motherboard inspection yielded zilch - no obvious burned or melted parts. I don't have any extra RAM to swap out. The poor thing is just...dead. Absolutely no response when the on button is pushed, just silent black. I'll take it in to a shop when we get home, but I suspect they will just charge me $40 to tell me my laptop died. My guess is the old 3rd gen Intel cpu. Anyway I should be back to my desktop Saturday +/-. Sorry about the delay :/
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

Re. "Work" - yes! It is a statistical fact that we old retired guys die faster if we are idle. So it is also a health essential to get a laptop up and running ASAP so that I can continue my work-ish endeavors...a matter of life and death!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

W8taminute

Quote from: solops on June 22, 2020, 10:55:20 AM
Re. "Work" - yes! It is a statistical fact that we old retired guys die faster if we are idle. So it is also a health essential to get a laptop up and running ASAP so that I can continue my work-ish endeavors...a matter of life and death!

I love that explanation and will use it when my retirement time comes!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

TheMeInTeam

I would also suspect graphics card, I had a laptop die that way years back.  And once it's fried the machine won't do much of anything when you turn it on.  However if it's not turning on at all you could also have a damaged/failed power supply etc (I've also had a power supply go bad on a different computer).

With bad RAM you can usually still make it to the bios.

solops

Well, I have ordered a new laptop. I will be back home to my desktop in a few days, long before the laptop arrives. The deal my son found was too good to pass up. He found a $1700 MSI laptop for $1200 at Costco of all places. Given the cost of probable repair and replacement parts cost for my old machine, I bit the bullet and ordered it. Those old parts command high prices IF you can find them.

W8taminute

Good to hear solops.  I bought an MSI laptop two years ago from Best Buy for around that price that you paid and I've been very happy with it.  It's not my main gaming rig but it does a good job when I'm on the road.

solops

The Steam summer sale has started. And I am at an isolated cabin with a broken laptop.  :(

solops

My wife sniffed and said "Think of the money we'll save".   :\

solops

Ok, looks like I should get my turn in by tomorrow (Monday) evening. I am really sorry about the delay. I am curious, how many times have each of you resubmitted the turn?  :)

TheMeInTeam

Just once, changing allocations and a move or two after Uruk ended NAP.  New EU 4 patch came out recently and I've been doing the DCSS tournament until today so haven't done a lot with Dominions during the hiatus.  I tested expansion with a few nations, that's about it.

solops

Ok, I am home, back to the desktop! I should get my turn submitted tonight. My new laptop should be delivered soon as well.

Myrmidon

I think llamaserver had some issues importing to a new server, so there really wasn't a lot of time lost either way.  Hope the trip was enjoyable, albeit without the laptop...

solops

My new laptop came in and it is a beast compared to my old one, even though it cost much, much less. I have spent all day setting it up, probably making some questionable decisions as I try to keep up my MP games on the side :)  Getting my games reinstalled is going to be a loooong process. I live in the country and internet is just bad. It will take 15 HOURS just to download TW:Warhammer II.

Ajidica

Quote from: solops on July 03, 2020, 11:37:44 PM
I live in the country and internet is just bad. It will take 15 HOURS just to download TW:Warhammer II.
FIFTEEN HOURS!?
What do you use for internet, ants running back and forth really fast?

As this game is heading swiftly toward a climax, does anybody have any thoughts on what era they would like the next game to be set in?