Main Menu

Colonial Conquest

Started by kassdhal, April 09, 2015, 07:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kassdhal

Just saw this game launching on Kickstarter (reminds me of a legendary old game on Atari and Amiga!!)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/argonautsinteractive/colonial-conquest

It looks cool... Anyone has information?

RedArgo

I played SSI's Colonial Conquest on my Apple IIe for many, many hours.  That was a great game for it's day.

There isn't much detail in the kickstarter about how this game plays, and although its only $10 to get in, with the other unfinished KSs I've already funded, I think I'll wait for more details before I back it.

WallysWorld

Used to play that game a lot on my old Commodore 64.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

bobarossa

Wow, the video was almost useless.  It looks like Imperialism 1 and 2 had more depth and they were released 15 years ago.  I still play them at least once a year.  I think I'll pass on this one.  Still waiting on Predestination, Colonization:Moonbase, and the DRM-free version on Worlds of Magic to be released. 

glen55

Very interested in the concept, and will look for more details, but so far I don't see anything that impresses me, sad to say.

I would love a really good colonialism game, especially one with plenty of detail in the actual colony-building/economics.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

bobarossa

I know it's set in 19th century, but have you tried Pride of Nations (affectionately known as ProN)?  Extremely detailed. 

kassdhal

Yes Pride of Nation was a very good game indeed.

I'm in on Colonial Conquest after all... the previous 80s iteration was a blast so i hope it'll be as good :)

Slick Wilhelm

Looks intriguing, but with virtually no screenshots of a supposedly near-release beta, I'm skeptical.

That being said, this is my sweet spot for wargaming. Nothing like the colony grabbing era of the late 19th century, early 20th century period!

orpheus

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on April 09, 2015, 07:45:12 PM
Looks intriguing, but with virtually no screenshots of a supposedly near-release beta, I'm skeptical.

That being said, this is my sweet spot for wargaming. Nothing like the colony grabbing era of the late 19th century, early 20th century period!

Hello, I'm Orpheus, from Argonauts Interactive. We've uploaded more screenshots on our website here: http://www.argonautsinteractive.com/coco---screenshots.html
We're also working on a more detailed gameplay video but I'm just not sure we will be able to upload it very soon as we are busy trying to finalize the game

In any case, thanks for your support and we'll try not to disappoint anyone :)

Barthheart

Quote from: orpheus on April 10, 2015, 05:49:34 PM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on April 09, 2015, 07:45:12 PM

Hello, I'm Orpheus, from Argonauts Interactive. We've uploaded more screenshots on our website here: http://www.argonautsinteractive.com/coco---screenshots.html
We're also working on a more detailed gameplay video but I'm just not sure we will be able to upload it very soon as we are busy trying to finalize the game

In any case, thanks for your support and we'll try not to disappoint anyone :)

Welcome and thanks for stopping by Orpheus!  O0
We love it when developers drop by to promote/answer questions about their games.

Boggit

Quote from: WallysWorld on April 09, 2015, 09:26:35 AM
Used to play that game a lot on my old Commodore 64.
And me. It was a lot of fun at the time.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

kassdhal

Looks like they ve achieved financing

steve58

Just stumbled on this one on sale at Fanatical for $2.99.

...and a Grogheads review of it here.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

Has it improved at all in the last four years?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GroggyGrognard

Quote from: Gusington on July 11, 2019, 08:48:21 AM
Has it improved at all in the last four years?

A buddy of mine plays it fairly consistently. I think he enjoys it at least partly because to him it represents a piece of nostalgia of when we used to play the old SSI Colonial Conquest back in the day. (even though this new version isn't exactly like the original.) With a computer programming background, he has a thorough knowledge of the AI quirks in the game. In fact, he talked about the game so much to me, that he sold me on it and I finally bought it on Steam during a sale. However, much to his disappointment, I have yet to get to it among the myriad of games in my backlog.  :o

Accompanied by a new game release called Age of Viking Conquest, the developer came out with an update last September for Colonial Conquest.

Here is the list of improvements in the update:

Taking opportunity of this release, we also brought to Colonial Conquest the following updates that will work on game stability:

New Combats Rules :
- Morale loss reworked. Now Defender region has additionnal moral bonuses : +1 if Major nation, +1 if fortified or +2 if industrial center
- Now, 2 combat rules mode are available at the start of a new game (choose the one you prefer) :

1) Simultaneous Mode : Defender and Attackers fire simultaneous and suffer loss at the same time, round by round, to the elimination of a group or a morale falling to zero.
As a consequence, combats are more stressful for defenders and the chances attackers take the region are higher, with less troops than in the turn by turn version.

2) Turn by turn : Defenders inflict damages first, then attackers. These sequences reflect more precisely the "original" combat rules.
Combats are bloodier for attackers, and won't go well if surprise is there, so plan and use spying actions as often as possible.

Combat animations :
- Animations reworked for better coherence, morale and retreat visibility, reinforcements understanding and overall a better battle resolution sequence.
- Optimisations made for better FPS level.

AI :
- many improvements and smarter behavioure for computer players. Better budget management and war decisons.
- computer players use better the various diplomatic parameters and therefore are more likely to consider peace treaties.

Engine, UI and Rules
- Game Rules are now integrated in an ingame window for easier access.
- More Precise Quality Settings in game launch window
- Updated Core GameEngine and pluggins

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin