Main Menu

FRIDAY Love Song

Started by Martok, June 05, 2020, 09:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Gus paid me fifty cent to say I like Shadow Empires.  But seriously all kidding aside it really is a fun game.  It has that 'just one more turn' feel to it.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

Usually I pay .75 so that's great deal.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Ohhh. So you've gone up on what you're paying now? Nice. That Day Job must be working out for you then.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Martok

Quote from: MetalDog on June 05, 2020, 06:24:52 PM
If I didn't know any better, I would say you guys are being paid to advertise Shadow Empires.  All the talk is making me curious. 
I think it's partially the fact that SE's scope is so ambitious, plus dares to be a little different from most other 4x/war-games.  Plus the fact that (at least going by Explorminate's early review) it actually *succeeds* at doing all these things, is pretty damn remarkable. 

From the article: 

Shadow Empire is the one of the finest strategy titles to be released in a very long time and stands head and shoulders above its competition in either the 4X or the wargame genres. It is a big, deep, complex and difficult game, and not without problems, but it is truly original and there is nothing else out there to match its unique, daring blend of the 4X, wargaming, grand strategy and role playing genres. Despite the many balls the player needs to juggle, once the systems are learned the game rarely feels overwhelming and can be played through relatively quickly.

Make no mistake, this is an essential purchase if you are a fan of deep and immersive game experiences. Not since the aforementioned Aurora 4X or Distant Worlds: Universe have PC gamers been treated to a product sporting such incredible depth and replayability. The procedurally generated content is shockingly well produced and displays a quality and scope far in excess of necessity for providing a good wargaming experience, whilst the underlying and often hidden automatic systems, such as the private economy or trading houses display an attention to detail bordering on the fanatical.

Now obviously, that's only one review, so take it with as many grains of salt as you're comfortable with.  But it's generally seeing positive feedback so far, especially in the forums (including Matrix/Slitherine). 

Quote from: MetalDog on June 05, 2020, 06:24:52 PMFor the meantime, I will continue my M2TW Short Campaign as England.  When I left off last night, the Holy Roman Emperor had been excommunicated, again, and I steamrolled Hamburg, Magdeburg, and the Imperial capitol, Frankfurt.  All the while, he was gathering Cardinals in Rome and when Pope Zappa (I shit you not) died, a new Imperial Pope was elected (he's got 5 Cardinals), Pope Villanus (I shit you not again).  He promptly bade me cease operations against the Emperor or risk Excommunication AND an Inquisition.  Just as the Ceasefire was set to expire, France, who is my other objective to completing the Short Campaign, declared war on ME!  How GREAT!!!!  Just so happens that the second coming of Alexander (6 Command stars and never been in battle (yet)) is my commander and sits outside Caen, poised to blitzkrieg Paris or Rheims.  I am going to make him pay!
Zappa and Villanus?!?  That's just too good.  :2funny:  Stuff like that almost makes me want to get this game sometimes. 

Here's hoping Alex 2.0 gets to kick around some frogs!  >:D 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MetalDog

Martok, you don't have Medieval 2 Total War?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Sir Slash

The thing I'd forgotten about Medi 2 TW is how comical the accents are. The over-stressed French, Spanish, and German makes me laugh every time.  :2funny:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

If Martok doesn't have M2TW I will eat my hat.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

Sir Slash

Before I take that bet, let's see the hat.

Gusington

No way! Get your own hat!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Martok

You gents are going to have consume some head-ware then, because I do not, in fact, own Medieval 2.  O:-) 

I have...philosophical reasons against owning that game.  Toonces even kindly tried to gift it to me a few years back, but I gently refused it on the grounds that I felt that accepting said gift would be hypocritical of me. 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Anguille

Quote from: Martok on June 06, 2020, 05:46:46 PM
You gents are going to have consume some head-ware then, because I do not, in fact, own Medieval 2.  O:-) 

I have...philosophical reasons against owning that game.  Toonces even kindly tried to gift it to me a few years back, but I gently refused it on the grounds that I felt that accepting said gift would be hypocritical of me.
Too bad i can't seem to find my hat.... ::)

Is it the only TW you do not have?

Martok

I also do not own Rome 1 (it's by far my least-favorite TW game of all time) or Napoleon; I was soured by my experience with Empire.  As a whole, I consider the period from Rome 1 through Napoleon to be the series' low point, with the games generally being rubbish. 

I also don't own Three Kingdoms -- not because I don't want to, but because my current machine is a piece of crap and would only be able to run the game on minimum specs.  Am planning to purchase a new, honest-to-goodness gaming PC later this year. 

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Gus, try dipping your hat in Sweet Baby Ray's Bar-B-Que Sauce before you eat it. It'll make it go down easier.  :bd: