Post Scriptum - Operation Market Garden Shooter

Started by Jarhead0331, January 07, 2018, 01:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Arnheim is a pretty bloody scenario.  Here you can see a German falling off the top of the bridge (maybe 250 meters away?).  I probably hit him since I had a great angle on anyone high up on the bridge and most of the 1st Airborne fire was coming from a heavily smoked and mortared area at the north end of the bridge:

Destraex

They just announced bayonets and a few new vehicles as well as a map coming to post scriptum shortly. Rag doll effects as well. Some sort of armoured game mode too. I am really not a fan of armoured game modes. Call to Arms one was shocking. You must have your infantry.

Every time I view an announcement like this. There are always one or two people claiming the game is dead. I am not sure where people come off with these three word comments that seem to be disingenuous given the game is not dead and they leave no explanation.

Just checked and at 9.30am in the morning here we have this population.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on January 07, 2019, 05:57:50 PM
They just announced bayonets and a few new vehicles as well as a map coming to post scriptum shortly. Rag doll effects as well. Some sort of armoured game mode too. I am really not a fan of armoured game modes. Call to Arms one was shocking. You must have your infantry.

Every time I view an announcement like this. There are always one or two people claiming the game is dead. I am not sure where people come off with these three word comments that seem to be disingenuous given the game is not dead and they leave no explanation.

I'll probably get back into Post Scriptum if or when I get my microphone working or get a new one or something (windows somehow ate the old one in such a way that the only thing to do is to "Completely reinstall windows" -- nope!).  Yep.  The glee people seem to get out of saying a game is bad or dead in a "knowing" way is some sort of internet-induced viral mental problem -- even if the game is dying or bad and in the case of post scriptum:
1) its a great game
2) it seems to be making progress

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on January 07, 2019, 11:00:03 PM

I'll probably get back into Post Scriptum if or when I get my microphone working or get a new one or something (windows somehow ate the old one in such a way that the only thing to do is to "Completely reinstall windows" -- nope!).  Yep.  The glee people seem to get out of saying a game is bad or dead in a "knowing" way is some sort of internet-induced viral mental problem -- even if the game is dying or bad and in the case of post scriptum:
1) its a great game

I'm back!  In Veghel in the rain, fixing a bayonet on my M1:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on February 13, 2019, 03:13:31 PM

I'm back!  In Veghel in the rain, fixing a bayonet on my M1:

Sherman with 75mm (on Veghel map):

Destraex

I don't think ww2 radio nets would be that hard to implement. The problem would be more one of how units especially axis did not have them at squad levels iirc

JasonPratt

Quote from: Destraex on February 19, 2019, 09:30:39 PM
I don't think ww2 radio nets would be that hard to implement. The problem would be more one of how units especially axis did not have them at squad levels iirc

??? I thought the Axis were great at having radio nets, this being one of their major advantages at the start of the war (up through Barbarossa).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

I am comparing infantry radio nets to the allied ones. I think the US had much better radio nets than the germans? The US having radios much further down the ranks than the germans?

MengJiao

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 20, 2019, 01:22:41 PM
Quote from: Destraex on February 19, 2019, 09:30:39 PM

??? I thought the Axis were great at having radio nets, this being one of their major advantages at the start of the war (up through Barbarossa).

By 1944 the Germans were far behind the allies in terms of radio sophistication.  The weirdest example is how just before the Mortrain offensive, the German radio transmissions were so clearly revealing everything about the preparations for the attack that the US signals intelligence wondered if it was some kind of radio deception event rather than a real event.  Of course, at a higher level, Ultra decodes showed the attack preparations were quite real if totally absurd in terms of the amount of revealing radio signals that were being broadcast by the Germans.  By contrast, US Divisions could go totally silent and vanish from German radio detection.

JasonPratt

Okay, that all makes sense.  O:-) Sort of parallels how relatively motorized and mechanized the Germans were compared to their opposition -- and then when Normandy happens, a German trooper being taken to the beach for processing to England looks at all the jeeps etc. and asks, "But where are all the horses?!" (And his guard just laughs.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MengJiao

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 01, 2019, 09:40:43 AM
Okay, that all makes sense.  O:-) Sort of parallels how relatively motorized and mechanized the Germans were compared to their opposition -- and then when Normandy happens, a German trooper being taken to the beach for processing to England looks at all the jeeps etc. and asks, "But where are all the horses?!" (And his guard just laughs.)

Yep.  The progressive break-down of the German's early-war lead in gear and communications is kind of weird -- especially for people who were reading in the 1960s and 70s about how strategic bombing had little effect on German production and how the Germans didn't "really mobilize" until 1942.  More recent studies such as Adam Tooze's The Wages of Destruction (2006) show that things were quite different in reality since more exacting analyses reveal that if anything the Germans mobilized far too soon (and started degrading their railroads before the war even started) and of course Strategic bombing had an instant negative impact AND (of course) the Germans were constrained all along by not having access to sufficient petroleum (as well as insufficient access to Copper, Steel and other metals).  Once Churchill called their bluff in the Summer of 1940, all that early over-mobilizing was not going to pay off (except in obliterating the Russian Army once or twice in 1941-42)  or maybe even except possibly in the final extreme gamble to reach the Russian oil fields.  Once the Allies survived into late 1942, they had plenty of time to develop signals intelligence and radio discipline with a full awareness of the drawbacks of the German methods.

Destraex

Some very nice features coming to post scriptum tomorrow. Including weapon rest, overhauled interface and working range reticles for tanks. Weapons sway according to weapon weight as well. This new map they add tomorrow will be the last for this theatre and they are actively considering where to do next it seems!
The team seems to be doing a "chapter 2" and is already well into it.
In addition they are working on an unreal engine upgrade that should greatly improve performance!
AIR FRICTION & TANK SIGHT RANGING
NEW LAYERS TO VEGHEL
VARIOUS GAMEPLAY TWEAKS
OPTIMIZATION
SOUNDS
LOCALIZATION
WEAPON RESTING & SWAY
MENU & UI OVERHAUL
GRAVE
http://postscriptumgame.com/grave-release-30-may/?fbclid=IwAR0YLJpLkiMln1Ygo3B-5N1lGgDkImHE-2Dp5pu0zGrhTyuUuZyUTDhZIgs

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on January 07, 2019, 11:00:03 PM

1) its a great game

I'll go look around Post Scriptum's current incarnation before I go look at Hell-warmed-over let Loose

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 17, 2019, 12:44:52 PM

I'll go look around Post Scriptum's current incarnation before I go look at Hell-warmed-over let Loose

There's three maps featuring US Airborne troops (Veghel, Grave and Best...to use the Bridge names from the Where Eagles Dare game).  Here's the Kirk from the Best map:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 18, 2019, 05:43:38 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on August 17, 2019, 12:44:52 PM

There's three maps featuring US Airborne troops (Veghel, Grave and Best...to use the Bridge names from the Where Eagles Dare game).  Here's the Kirk from the Best map:

Best is a pretty interesting map.  IIRC, in WEDare, Starkweather remarked that the Best scenario was everyone's favorite in play testing.  And in reality it is where either the bridge was blown (its a tiny bridge) or the Panther Company turned up or both.  Of course in reality, there was a railroad bridge near Best, but PS is getting better at focusing things and the whole "fix the rail bridge or the pontoon bridge" with your logistics section is fading a bit in favor of making a critical position (if not always an objective -- there's a night version of Best where the Kerk is not an objective though it still dominates both AA positions and the main crossroads and the main road to the bridge).  Another shot of the St Omopthalos Kerk in Best:

PS -- the explosions and the panthers are related to the Son Bridge.  The Best Bridge was the scene of a series of more-or-less successful german counterattacks.  And the Grave Bridge is in the 82nd zone so its a Devil's cauldron bridge, not a Where Eagles Dare bridge.