What's Cool in Science This Week?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 09, 2017, 11:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubercat

Quote from: Pete Dero on October 25, 2020, 03:15:20 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 25, 2020, 12:30:09 PM
That last one can save the oceans!

Or we could stop using plastic.

Go back to making everything out of metal and glass?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Sir Slash

You can have my plastic straw when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers. The problem's not the plastic, it's the chuckle-heads that throw it into the oceans. Or wherever other than the trash where you should. If you can re-cycle bad habits into good ones, that'd do the trick.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

steve58

Water found on the sunny side of Moon

Quote from: steve58 on October 23, 2020, 01:36:36 PM
NASA to reveal Moon 'new discovery' Monday.

p.s.  never knew NASA had a flying 100-inch telescope (SOFIA)!  :o  How the heck do they manage to keep an airborne 747 stable enough for a telescope?
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Pete Dero

^ I must correct you : the moon doesn't have a sunny side  :nerd:.

The moon's rotation is locked so we always see the same side but that doesn't mean the other side doesn't get any sunlight.  When it is new moon the side of the moon we can't see is bathing in sunlight.
Previously water was found in crater floors that never receive any sunlight but this time it seems they discovered water in areas that are exposed to the sun.

Nerd hat off  :peace:.

steve58

yeah, I typed sunny when I shoulda typed sunlit.  :-[
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sir Slash

Damn! That's quite a haul if we could get our hands on it.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

and people think spacex is going to mars first.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

steve58

A volcano erupted in Italy.  The eruption was captured by a number of cameras from the the Italian National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology, including some that record thermal footage to measure the heat of the blasts.  Pretty cool :))

Sir Slash

Pete Dero

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 14, 2020, 01:51:57 PM
Very interesting. 

I remember reading Clarke's novel 2010 and it postulated something similar in the atmosphere of Jupiter. 

A subplot missing from the movies is that Dave Boman/Monolith Aliens had to choose between the life budding on Europa, or life that existed in a much more advanced state in the clouds of Jupiter.  The Aliens chose Europa and caused Jupiter to go into stellar fusion in a cold calculation that Jupiter's gaseous lifeforms were an evolutionary dead end where Europa had a chance of much further development. 

Fascinating to think of something like that possible at Venus.  I remember Sagan postulating about it in the 80's too.  Maybe we'll stop neglecting it in our exploration.

Update :

https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/phosphine-biosignature-venus-calibration-error/

Is the Phosphine Biosignature on Venus a Calibration Error?

The problem arose because Venus is not a "standard" target for ALMA. The array of radio dishes spends most of its time looking at things that very far away, and thus very faint.

"Observing solar system objects is quite a small part of what ALMA does," Greaves says. "ALMA is learning from this situation as well, in terms of future observations. We're not the only project affected. They've had to contact a number of other principal investigators."

Looking for something barely visible (the phosphine absorption line) inside a large, bright, nearby object (Venus) creates large uncertainties with the interpretation of the subsequent data. It's possible to see things that aren't there, in the same way that looking at a bright light causes afterimages when your eyes are closed.

"ALMA told us, 'we've never tried to push the limits of getting a faint line in this way before,'" Greaves says. "So it was a risk. And obviously I'm not comfortable with finding out the drawbacks afterwards. But we did want the community to look at it and that's what they have done."

steve58

Sir Slash

WOW! Thanks for the heads-up.  :wow:

Myrmidon

Sir Slash