New War in the Pacific : Admiral's Edition Tutorials

Started by 88mmkwk, December 26, 2020, 03:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

88mmkwk

I bought WITP:AE last year during the Matrix Christmas sale, but hadn't played it.  I recently decided to give it another peek and discovered that a most excellent set of new tutorials had been uploaded to YouTube last month (November).  With this year's Christmas sale still going on withWITP:AE available at a bombshell price of $16.00USD, I thought I would mention the new tutorials. They are very well done and conducted at a pace that is slow enough to really pick up on some of the key game concepts and mechanics.  The tutorial quality is enough to get me to give WITP:AE a shot and start up my first game.

If any else has taken a peek but been intimidated by the level of detail in the game, this is an excellent place to get started....

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSgMOSrhbsUY4MMngkf5__S8xO8Wzi4JG
Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

Pete Dero

Quote from: 88mmkwk on December 26, 2020, 03:29:20 AM
If any else has taken a peek but been intimidated by the level of detail in the game, this is an excellent place to get started....

:-[

Thank you :bd:.

Rayfer

I've been slowly working through them over the past week.  Already learned a lot about how I was doing things wrong in setting up task forces and air missions, among other mistakes.  They are well done and helpful in learning the game mechanics. When all is said and done though, setting up those first few turns as the Allies can take many a long hour.

hellfish6

I picked up WitP:AE recently too. Thanks for the tutorials. Now if only I could resize the game to a modern screen size...

Pete Dero

Quote from: hellfish6 on December 26, 2020, 11:22:25 AM
I picked up WitP:AE recently too. Thanks for the tutorials. Now if only I could resize the game to a modern screen size...

This is my shortcut : "D:\Software\War In the Pacific AE\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -w  -f -pxf2560 -pyf1440 -archive -deepColor -multiaudio -dd_sw -altFont

The bold stuff lets you adjust the screen size.

nelmsm

These are great tutorials for anyone wanting to start playing.  I've worked my way through up to the Air one, forgot the number.  Makes me a bit more confident about taking on the Japanese AI.

Staggerwing

How applicable are those tutorials to War Plan Orange? I realize that the overall strategies will be different with, among other things, the much smaller role of airpower but I was curious about the basic mechanics of game play.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

hellfish6

Quote from: Pete Dero on December 26, 2020, 11:39:18 AM
Quote from: hellfish6 on December 26, 2020, 11:22:25 AM

This is my shortcut : "D:\Software\War In the Pacific AE\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -w  -f -pxf2560 -pyf1440 -archive -deepColor -multiaudio -dd_sw -altFont

The bold stuff lets you adjust the screen size.

Hero of the day!

Redwolf

LOL

I knew a tutorial for this thing would be longer than 12 hours. Bias confirmed.

ArizonaTank

:clap:

Wonderful to see this great game get some well-deserved love.

WitP AE is the best, most realistic WWII in the Pacific game. This is because the game gives logistics its full due respect. The real War in the Pacific was primarily a logistics war. WitP shows how the massive distances in the Pacific really made extended operations difficult. The game shows why a serious invasion of Hawaii or the West Coast was never going to happen.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

airboy

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 26, 2020, 02:42:21 PM
How applicable are those tutorials to War Plan Orange? I realize that the overall strategies will be different with, among other things, the much smaller role of airpower but I was curious about the basic mechanics of game play.

Great question!

glen55

If anybody knows, did they ever decide to allow the player to assign theaters to the AI, like in WITP? I'm really not interested in that static slog of a land war in China, I want island-hopping and flat top battles.

Bought the game and only spent about 1/2 hour with it for that reason.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Rayfer

Quote from: glen55 on January 11, 2021, 01:09:36 PM
If anybody knows, did they ever decide to allow the player to assign theaters to the AI, like in WITP? I'm really not interested in that static slog of a land war in China, I want island-hopping and flat top battles.

Bought the game and only spent about 1/2 hour with it for that reason.

The Admiral's Edition has a full campaign in the scenario listings whose title ends with 'Quiet China'.  I once asked on the Matrix forums what that actually meant but never got a clear, detailed reply.  Apparently this full campaign scenario includes the China land theater but at some point into the game the theater goes 'quiet' and can be ignored.  When this happens and what quiet means isn't clear.  At least to me it isn't, maybe someone else can give a better answer.

glen55

Thanks, Rayfer. I'm very interested in the game and that has at least slightly increased the chance I will pick it back up one day.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower