Anno 1800 - anyone tried it?

Started by JudgeDredd, April 14, 2019, 11:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

PC Gamer claims it is the best Anno game ever.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

I never played any Anno before so tempted...

Sir Slash

It does look good. Even I'm tempted and I don't like these real-time builders.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

I think if you are not interested in real time city builders you will be wasting your money and time. As good as the game may look, and as noted above, the Anno series has always been primarily a city builder focused on resource collection and conversion of raw resources into manufactured goods for distribution to your citizens in order to obtain access to higher tier buildings, supplies and goods. There is a very basic layer of combat added into the game to keep up the action while your supply chains are moving, but the combat in my experience is basic, rudimentary and not very satisfying.

However, the city building aspect of the game is highly addictive and enjoyable, but obviously, only so to those players who like that kind of a game. 

As far as combat goes, I'd like to see something along the lines of the Cossacks series. The supply chain element for recruiting citizens, and converting resources into weapons, uniforms and ships is all there. Why not expand upon it a little bit and permit the player to transport them to new islands and lands to conquer. Some of the other titles in the series have come close to this, but 1800 has moved away from the more fully featured combat, limiting it to ships only with no ground troops whatsoever.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Queeg

I've been looking forward to this one for some time.  There are so few good Industrial Revolution era games out there, so I went ahead and pre-purchased through Steam just to avoid the hassle of a dealing with separate service.  We'll see.... 

bobarossa

If I remember correctly the early anno games did not allow issuing orders while paused.  Is that still the case?

mbar

Quote from: bobarossa on April 15, 2019, 12:11:41 PM
If I remember correctly the early anno games did not allow issuing orders while paused.  Is that still the case?

I could not give orders while paused in Anno 1800.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2019, 10:53:35 AM
I think if you are not interested in real time city builders you will be wasting your money and time.
lol - red rag and bull. Bought.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 15, 2019, 12:22:54 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2019, 10:53:35 AM
I think if you are not interested in real time city builders you will be wasting your money and time.
lol - red rag and bull. Bought.

Well, at least you know its a game that you can actually get running, so there is that.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Whew, dodged a bullet....went to purchase from greenman because had discount and it was sold out......was going to pull the trigger for the cheaper price, but now I can wait:)

Probably was a very good thing!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Con

Was getting ready to pull the trigger on this as an impulse buy on STEAM.  Then found out that STEAM will not be selling it with a un reasuringly vague promise that Ubisoft will support steam patches dlc in the future.  I am not a fan of ubisoft and in fact I use steam to simplify my gaming purchases and aggregate all my games in one spot. (I am tired of multiple gaming sites requiring logon/internet connection etc in order to play a game).  My impulse was easily killed when I saw it was going to be a setup I didnt want to do so I decided to walk away.

Sir Slash

That's good to know. Thanks for the heads-up.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

If I end up getting it, it will be direct from ubisoft through uplay.

Uplay had some problems when it was first released, but its been pretty reliable for me since...and by the way, all ubisoft titles require uplay anyway, even if you acquire the game on steam. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog