Anthem from Bioware

Started by Gusington, June 10, 2017, 04:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

glen55

Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tpek

The Anthem PC demo is now freely available via Origin.

It's actually pretty fun, though could use some improvements.

Huw the Poo

I'll try the demo on PS4 this weekend, but from what I've seen so far it looks like a poor man's Warframe.  I'll give it a go with an open mind though.

HoodedHorseJoe

I'll be trying out the demo on PS4 with my mates this weekend too.

We're deciding if we want to grab this, or The Division 2 which launches a few weeks later.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Tpek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 01, 2019, 12:18:22 PM
I'll try the demo on PS4 this weekend, but from what I've seen so far it looks like a poor man's Warframe.  I'll give it a go with an open mind though.

Funny thing to say considering Warframe is free and Anthem is expensive :P

Huw the Poo

Quote from: WargamerJoe on February 01, 2019, 12:24:08 PM
We're deciding if we want to grab this, or The Division 2 which launches a few weeks later.

I had the same dilemma briefly, but then I realised that I'm more or less guaranteed to like TD2 so I'm going with it.  I'm just trying Anthem out of curiosity.

Tpek: Haha, yes, but Anthem - from what I've seen so far - seems to be a much less fun version of the same game. ;)

Besides, I've probably spent more money on Warframe than any other game in my life!

Tpek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 01, 2019, 01:24:38 PM
Quote from: WargamerJoe on February 01, 2019, 12:24:08 PM

I had the same dilemma briefly, but then I realised that I'm more or less guaranteed to like TD2 so I'm going with it.  I'm just trying Anthem out of curiosity.

Tpek: Haha, yes, but Anthem - from what I've seen so far - seems to be a much less fun version of the same game. ;)

Besides, I've probably spent more money on Warframe than any other game in my life!

Guess it's because you can't fish up old worn boots in Anthem  :))

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Tpek on February 01, 2019, 04:40:20 PM
Guess it's because you can't fish up old worn boots in Anthem  :))

Literally unplayable. ;)

Huw the Poo

Well I just tried the demo and I was pretty underwhelmed.

• You can only fly in short bursts and keep being dumped out of the sky, to wait for a recharge
  • Gunplay is very poor - the gun felt underpowered, unsatisfying and every enemy typically needed a whole magazine to kill.  Melee was more effective!  :idiot2:
  • Voice doesn't seem to be enabled by default making communication with my pub squad impossible - making the final puzzle of the mission almost impossible to get through
  • Loading times are horrid - missions don't take place in a single map and every transition to a different area involved staring at a loading screen for about 15 seconds - your squad is also forced to travel with you when you make the transition
  • Movement is clunky and slidey; lining up for a melee attack, for example, is a lot harder than it ought to be

Finally, when we did complete the mission, the game promptly crashed so I couldn't even see the results.  Fucking brilliant.

I doubt I'll play it again.

Edit: I forgot another couple of bits:

• You're forced into first person in the main base - no hanging around showing off your warframe javelin, it seems - and you can't run either.  So you just traipse around the base until you finally get to whichever NPC you need to speak to
  • When you die you have to wait to be revived by a teammate.  So if you go down early and your squad are happily mopping up the enemy, expect to just stare at a respawn screen until someone finally comes to revive you, or the rest of the squad wipes

Jarhead0331

^you are unabashedly biased so your insights and feelings on this game must be treated with suspicion and caution. Sort of like Gus' underwear.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tpek

Oh gawd those Base parts...
The way you have to move so very slowly and can't even jump just drove me insane.