POLL - Favorite Method for Detemining Who Goes When In Board/War Games

Started by Capn Darwin, February 16, 2012, 04:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capn Darwin

I'm going to post, hopefully, every one to weeks on a game mechanics type question to see what things people like or dislike in the games they play. I want this information to help help both designers and players and spark some discussions between both in order to learn.

And we're off... 8)
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Barthheart

Really like chit pull systems. Gives a great feel to the ebb and flow of inititive in battles.

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Epee1

Jack Nastyface

The BEST method I ever saw for determing turn order was in MB's Samurai Swords / Shogun.  At the begining of each turn, players drew a numbered sword to determine turn order...HOWEVER, you could use some of your money (koku) that you would otherwise use to buy reinforcements, castles, or ninjas to bid for a sword preference.  If you were anticipated a battle royal between two of your opponents, it was sometimes wise to bid and buy sword 4 (so you could swoop down on their depleted armies).  On other occasions, playing first (taking advantage of the ruin that resulted from LAST turn) was critical.

An excellent game, with many excellent game mechanics.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

LongBlade

I think I mentioned this in a previous thread, but I really like the bidding system of Supremacy.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

Well the board games I play these days are all designed for young kids, which of course are all biased against the old man, i.e. me.  Order going from youngst to oldest.  Damn you Candyland!

I do agree with Jack Nasty that Shogun had a very fun method of turn determination. 

I also like random dice rolls.

Capn Darwin

Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.