Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I am currently trying to master the startup procedure. I can do it and have the kneeboard pics of the manual to help - but I wanted to try and get it so I didn't need to look it up. I also ran the first easy mission - flying xkm - but ran out of fuel about 5 miles from the runway. I guess I was on AB and FM for too long

I like it though. It's got some boost. 40,000ft in no time at all and still having 400+m(k)ph left
Alba gu' brath

MengJiao

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 06, 2014, 11:32:31 AM
I am currently trying to master the startup procedure. I can do it and have the kneeboard pics of the manual to help - but I wanted to try and get it so I didn't need to look it up. I also ran the first easy mission - flying xkm - but ran out of fuel about 5 miles from the runway. I guess I was on AB and FM for too long

I like it though. It's got some boost. 40,000ft in no time at all and still having 400+m(k)ph left

I looked at some of how you actually would fly the plane and skipped it and did air starts -- 16,000 feet and 300 kts.  Even then there are
switches to flip -- the throttle and the chaff dispenser (power on and open it ), gun pyro button, missile selectors etc.  If you do that, then in some ways it is easier to fly than the Su25T which always used to feel like it was about to roll over and fall out of the sky.  On the other hand the missiles in the SU25T were pretty good.  The Mig can definitely accelerate and climb like crazy though.   

Nefaro

Quote from: MengJiao on October 06, 2014, 11:14:12 AM

Having now flown the DCS Mig21bis, I have to say I'm very impressed with anyone who ever shot down anything with this aircraft, much less a small fighter like the F86.  I'd rather fight F4s than those early jets at this point.  I have shot down some AI helicopters with the 23mm gun, but the missiles are not easy for me.  On the other hand I have avoided being shot down by AI Helicopters, F4s, f86 and Mig15s.  AI Phantoms have gotten me twice.  It's a big boom when the AIM7 hits.  BUT I know how to drop chaff and flares and fire missiles and sooner or later I'll hit another AI jet fighter with the appropriate ordinance.

North Vietnamese MiG-21 doctrine was typically to take off after detection, climb to high altitude, and pour on the speed while flying past enemy F-4s.  Taking  (often poor) missile shots as they passed and then fled the area.  Didn't always turn out this way but that's what they often tried IIRC.

Since their home bases were off-limits for a notable part of the war, the F-4s couldn't often take advantage of their short range and small payload by following them home and shooting them down when they tried to land.  Some of that notoriously bad American ROE again.  :idiot2:

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on October 06, 2014, 07:13:12 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on October 06, 2014, 11:14:12 AM

Having now flown the DCS Mig21bis, I have to say I'm very impressed with anyone who ever shot down anything with this aircraft, much less a small fighter like the F86.  I'd rather fight F4s than those early jets at this point.  I have shot down some AI helicopters with the 23mm gun, but the missiles are not easy for me.  On the other hand I have avoided being shot down by AI Helicopters, F4s, f86 and Mig15s.  AI Phantoms have gotten me twice.  It's a big boom when the AIM7 hits.  BUT I know how to drop chaff and flares and fire missiles and sooner or later I'll hit another AI jet fighter with the appropriate ordinance.

North Vietnamese MiG-21 doctrine was typically to take off after detection, climb to high altitude, and pour on the speed while flying past enemy F-4s.  Taking  (often poor) missile shots as they passed and then fled the area.  Didn't always turn out this way but that's what they often tried IIRC.

Since their home bases were off-limits for a notable part of the war, the F-4s couldn't often take advantage of their short range and small payload by following them home and shooting them down when they tried to land.  Some of that notoriously bad American ROE again.  :idiot2:

It's hard finding a reasonable match to the Mig21 in DCS.  Anything with decent missiles will slaughter them (or more particularly me) BUT the Mig can kill anything with its gun (B52s etc.) except Mig15s and F86Fs (in my experience).  Dogfighting Phantoms seems promising until a missile hits you.  The Indian Mig21s could take on F-104s and F86s -- but they might have had better missiles or something.  Better Pilots than me anyway.

The Mirage III might be a good plane for Mig fighting if it ever turns up in DCS world.  Maybe I'll get the SU27 while I think this over.

Nefaro

Quote from: MengJiao on October 07, 2014, 09:52:36 AM

It's hard finding a reasonable match to the Mig21 in DCS.  Anything with decent missiles will slaughter them (or more particularly me) BUT the Mig can kill anything with its gun (B52s etc.) except Mig15s and F86Fs (in my experience).  Dogfighting Phantoms seems promising until a missile hits you.  The Indian Mig21s could take on F-104s and F86s -- but they might have had better missiles or something.  Better Pilots than me anyway.

The Mirage III might be a good plane for Mig fighting if it ever turns up in DCS world.  Maybe I'll get the SU27 while I think this over.

It's due to one of the problems with what DCS has been doing.  Releasing planes from era to era with few or no contemporary opponents for them and no appropriate locale. 

For example, your dogfight experiences in the MiG-21 would be more manageable if you were flying against early model Phantoms with early missiles.  Instead, DCS uses late model ones.  The big issue being the late model missiles.  The earlier ones had abysmal success rates in Vietnam.  Hell, even late model Sparrows weren't terribly good but the early stuff was just downright bad.  If DCS world had a variety of such contemporary opponents available, then you'd have an easier time of it.  Shooting at Thuds should be a good way to start, but they don't have those in the game do they?

jomni

Are the missiles for the Mig-21 modern or cold war era?
Maybe use the a-10 as target practice.

JudgeDredd

I don't know what's the matter with the game (or my PC) but I just tried to fly the Su-25 (as a module AND in FC3) and the flaps and landing gear wouldn't work - even though they are mapped correctly.

The keys are fine - but in game the flaps wouldn't go down and the landing gear wouldn't retract.

Kind of bummed out with issues at the moment

I noticed the other day I couldn't get the radio comms to come up with the key binding of \. When I re-mapped the comms to the \ key it came up with OEMxx!! But that wasn't the problem with the flaps or landing gear...when I remapped those, they had the same key assignments as they had previously...so I don't know what the problem is there. Can't do a thing with the Su-25T - not with landing gear down!
Alba gu' brath

MengJiao

Quote from: jomni on October 07, 2014, 05:41:42 PM
Are the missiles for the Mig-21 modern or cold war era?
Maybe use the a-10 as target practice.

They seem very 1975-ish to me.

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 07, 2014, 05:48:32 PM
I don't know what's the matter with the game (or my PC) but I just tried to fly the Su-25 (as a module AND in FC3) and the flaps and landing gear wouldn't work - even though they are mapped correctly.

The keys are fine - but in game the flaps wouldn't go down and the landing gear wouldn't retract.

Kind of bummed out with issues at the moment

I noticed the other day I couldn't get the radio comms to come up with the key binding of \. When I re-mapped the comms to the \ key it came up with OEMxx!! But that wasn't the problem with the flaps or landing gear...when I remapped those, they had the same key assignments as they had previously...so I don't know what the problem is there. Can't do a thing with the Su-25T - not with landing gear down!

I had the exact same thing happen last time I flew an F-15 near the beginning of this year.  The gear refused to go down.  The keybinds were right - I checked them in the options. 

Sad to hear the same issues are still there.  It was damn annoying.

JudgeDredd

I 100% expected to come on here and read that others never had that problem and they don't know what I was talking about...it's very disappointing to hear it is actually an issue in game  :(
Alba gu' brath

Toonces

I'm going to be perfectly honest.  Although the dynamic campaign absence puts me off of DCS, the inability to consistently map my controllers (and how damn hard it is) is the main reason I do not play it despite owning most of the modules. 

It has the most unintuitive controller mapping interface I have ever experienced.  Maybe BoB2:WoV was almost as bad as well, but since that's a prop sim it can be somewhat mitigated as there aren't as many key-maps required.

I just gave up.  Some day I really need to just suck up the 3-4 hours and figure it all out and then do it.  I always lose patience after about 45 minutes of fiddling with it.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

The gear issue happened to me too in a Mig 21. However, I exited the game and came back in and did not experience it again. Weird.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GDS_Starfury

perhaps the game is modeling shitty ground crews.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MengJiao

Quote from: Toonces on October 08, 2014, 01:04:59 AM
I'm going to be perfectly honest.  Although the dynamic campaign absence puts me off of DCS, the inability to consistently map my controllers (and how damn hard it is) is the main reason I do not play it despite owning most of the modules. 

It has the most unintuitive controller mapping interface I have ever experienced.  Maybe BoB2:WoV was almost as bad as well, but since that's a prop sim it can be somewhat mitigated as there aren't as many key-maps required.

I just gave up.  Some day I really need to just suck up the 3-4 hours and figure it all out and then do it.  I always lose patience after about 45 minutes of fiddling with it.

Mapping the controls is just a mess.  I sometimes get some things mapped, but at the moment I have to use cockpit switches because I can't get those buttons mapped any other way (lock-on and chaff -- must hit buttons in cockpit!)

JudgeDredd

God dammit!

I've played that first mission for the Mig-21 (where you fly a very long course) 5 times now.

1st time I ran out of fuel - you have very little spare by the time you get to Nanchik - so watching you speed and fuel is essential
2nd time I crashed at Nanchik
3rd and 4th (yesterday) I crashed into mountains because I was busy watching F1 qualy
5th time today I landed at Nanchik but over shot the runway...forgetting to throttle back - and seemingly once you are off tarmac in the Mig, you're stuck - it was never like that for the other modules - unless it's a change in DCS.

The good thing is I'm pretty good at startup, taxi and take off procedure now...but this is a bugger at slow speed...a real dog to land.

Such a cool module though. I haven't done any fighting in it at all at the moment...just flying around enjoying the view
Alba gu' brath