Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 12, 2014, 07:50:39 AM
God dammit!

I've played that first mission for the Mig-21 (where you fly a very long course) 5 times now.

1st time I ran out of fuel - you have very little spare by the time you get to Nanchik - so watching you speed and fuel is essential
2nd time I crashed at Nanchik
3rd and 4th (yesterday) I crashed into mountains because I was busy watching F1 qualy
5th time today I landed at Nanchik but over shot the runway...forgetting to throttle back - and seemingly once you are off tarmac in the Mig, you're stuck - it was never like that for the other modules - unless it's a change in DCS.

The good thing is I'm pretty good at startup, taxi and take off procedure now...but this is a bugger at slow speed...a real dog to land.

Such a cool module though. I haven't done any fighting in it at all at the moment...just flying around enjoying the view

I've taken the opposite approach:  I can't take off or land, but I can stay alive in the air with Phantoms painting me with their radars.  I'm not sure they have ever launched an AIM7 at me that I have survived, but there have been plenty of missiles in the air while I thought I was dumping chaff to distract them and rolling over and diving.  The Mig sure does well at high speeds and I've only pulled up so steeply as to lose 2 of 4 missiles and my drop tank once.  Some day I may try taking off and/or landing.

JudgeDredd

Your method actually probably makes more sense - at least from an enjoyment perspective.

It is rather mundane taking off, flying and landing. I actually think I do it this way to stop myself having to work out what the hell to do with the weapon and defence systems. That shit requires on to read the manual!
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Two day flash sale...70% off most modules!!! F86 is only $14.99!

Mig21 is discounted, but only 10%...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

That's a great price for F-86.  I'm gonna get it.

There was a really good post over on Combatace by Streakeagle where he talked about the MP F-86 servers, where these guys were going up in MP and dogfighting MiG-15s.  Sounded like a lot of fun.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

I cannot for the life of me get my throttle to work. Its configurable in the options UI, but not matter what axis I link it to, I get nothing. WTF?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

^For any or the F-86?

Whatever the answer, I haven't had that one - I have had other key issues though. Something screwy going on  :(
Alba gu' brath

MengJiao

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 18, 2014, 01:59:48 AM
^For any or the F-86?

Whatever the answer, I haven't had that one - I have had other key issues though. Something screwy going on  :(

With DCS, I have learned to use whatever I can to get the planes to fly.  Or I should say "stay in the air once I air start them"...I long-ago switched to using the numpad + - (I think -- its the first thing I check when I end up in the air -- does the throttle work?)  On Russian planes you can see the handle thing sliding back and forth so that's something.  In the Mig21, you have to make sure the throttle handle isn't blocking the chaff dispenser button. 

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 18, 2014, 01:59:48 AM
^For any or the F-86?

Sounds related to that keymapping issue some of us have had with the Landing Gear keybind not working. 

:-\

JudgeDredd

Which does work now.

I don't like the intermittent problems...they are troublesome (unless of course it was fixed in a patch)
Alba gu' brath

Toonces

I'm installing F-86 now! 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on October 18, 2014, 09:40:07 PM
I'm installing F-86 now!

Let me know if you can get your hot ass to work.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 18, 2014, 11:49:35 PM
Quote from: Toonces on October 18, 2014, 09:40:07 PM
I'm installing F-86 now!

Let me know if you can get your hot ass to work.

I'm leaving that post as is because it is the best autocorrect fail ever. I meant hotas, of course.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

magnus

She is downstairs making breakfast.

Moving on, I am tempted to buy the Sabre. Is it the the the early version, same controls as a WWII bird, as in making you have to fight the stick or is it the later hydraulic or whatever it was changed to?

Toonces

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 17, 2014, 10:51:00 PM
I cannot for the life of me get my throttle to work. Its configurable in the options UI, but not matter what axis I link it to, I get nothing. WTF?

For some reason it doesn't work when you're doing a ramp start.  It is in an indent or something and there must be some key combination that takes it out of the indent to start the engine.

Once you get the engine started (I just use Lwin+Home) the throttle works.

Not sure if that's the same problem you're having, but it baffled me, too, until I just auto-started the engine.