Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 07, 2016, 08:10:20 AM
I think I'll leave 2 alone for a bit.

Did you hear that Asid - I think I'll leave 2 alone for a bit  >:D
:D

Come on line with the Huey. I have a great wee mission  :knuppel2:
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

JudgeDredd

Watching the rugby today and drinking...so no flying for me today. Probably not tomorrow either because I'll be vassalling with Bob

But when I do play, it will be 1.5 😁
Alba gu' brath

Asid

War in Pieces

JudgeDredd

Ended up buying the Gazelle too  :-[
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 07, 2016, 04:24:45 PM

Let me know if you can get it off the ground and manage some form of controlled flight.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Asid

War in Pieces

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 07, 2016, 04:31:37 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 07, 2016, 04:24:45 PM

Let me know if you can get it off the ground and manage some form of controlled flight.
After half a dozen tries, I did manage to take off and once I got height, flight was ok

But it was by no means a repeatable event  :-\
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Not a great video...but just proof that I managed to take off and land. I doubt I would've been able to land on a pad...it's just as well I had that huge field!!

And I thought the Shark was hard to fly!

The only way I have been successfully able to take off (thus far with very limited experience in it) is by putting some forward cyclic in and taking a "running" start...and that, I think, is in no small part due to how difficult it is to hover in this.

Same thing (with hover) when you are above the "transitional" stage. There's a huge amount of right rudder required. As you can see from the landing, it took a looooong time to get the speed down and keep control, eventually (when in the transitional area) having to dump it down before I lost control.

The other thing the bird likes to do is put the opposite force after you've applied force. So pull the roll right and release, and the bird will roll left almost as much. Same with yaw and pitch. So the trick (which I didn't manage in one part of the video) is to not fight it...let her stabalise herself. And minimise the effect, use little inputs (again, something I didn't manage to do too well).

I think the stick is quite sensitive, so I may look at dialling that down for this one.
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

What I have found with all the Rotary wings in DCS is that since I have my MFG Crosswind rudder Pedals with Hall sensors they are all much easier to fly!
Tail rotor control is much better and that makes a whole lot easier.
I used 18 year old CH Pro Pedals before but they were very spikey and imprecise and I always needed to tune a deadzone and slow curve to make it approach anything controllable. If you haven't tried setting a curve I would suggest that you do.
Make it so that the input to the game is slow at first and accelerates when approaching full rudder.
Then be gentle with your rudder input and you should be having an easier time.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

I don't have pedals  :'(

Shameful I know for a flight sim enthusiast  :idiot2:
Alba gu' brath

jomni

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 08, 2016, 03:29:58 AM
I don't have pedals  :'(

Shameful I know for a flight sim enthusiast  :idiot2:

I don't too.

Yskonyn

Then I am not surprised you have problems controlling a heli in DCS. :)
What do you use to control the tail rotor then?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

The twist stick...and it is a challenge.
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

The twist stick on the Saitek (and most other sticks for that matter) is notoriously imprecise and jumpy. You are doing yourself a favour to unbind anything assigned to that Axis . :)

Key binds are easier to control eventhough they are either full on or nothing.
If you are serious about heli's I would strongly advise investing in a rudder pedal set. The cheaper options like the Saiteks are fine as long as you maintain a curve and a deadzone.

Or, you could check YT and see some DIY options with an old joystick and some wood and cable. ;)

Jarhead0331

I'm in the same boat. I don't have pedals either and also use the RZ axis on my rhino for rudder. I've heard this is a huge issue that complicates control of helos. I'm shopping for pedals now, but there really aren't that many options. Seems like there are cheap CHs products, the Pro by saitek that has average reviews and the mfg crosswind that seems to be the gold standard.

I can't see paying 400 usd just for rudder pedals (shipping for the crosswind is almost 80 alone). I hear saitek is going to be releasing a new product shortly, so I'm sort of in a wait and see mode.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18