Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

A rather boring video of me in the Mirage.

It does show, when looking down at the controls both left and right, how I can't seem to zoom in using the TrackIR....was just wondering if anyone can get a better zoom with TrackIR? Can anyone actually zoom right into the controls using TrackIR?

Maybe it's just a limitation in the cockpit? Or do I have to tweak some more?
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

ASID actually helped out last night and suggested using the zoom keys to zoom in and out.

I watched some other videos and there's one where I see BunyapSims (my go to guy for info on flight in DCS) and he has a video where, when zooming into the controls on the cockpit, he appears to NOT be doing it with his head. I then found a video where he has the zoom assigned to a slider on hit HOTAS.

So that's what I've done. Head movement in game is superb. Pro clip is superb in the sense that it has a much higher tolerance to ambient light in my room AND seems to have a better detection range than the Vector Clip.

The two things mentioned here by people which I absolutely agree with is

• The clip mech itself is utter shite - my daughter could've come up with something sturdier
    I will likely have to remove the clip now and again when my daughter uses the headset - I'd be very surprised if that clip lasts a few months of being removed and attached
  • The cable...what a PITA

But once I spent time faffing around with the cables and I've got the headset on ma heed, the experience was great in game.

I say again though...the pro clip for me was essential. The light in the room was always interfering with the ability for the Vector clip to be used. I had messed (with TrackIR 4) with the various settings to dampen the effect of the ambient light, but I could never get it totally removed. I also found the movement of the vector clip to be more constrained than the pro clip.

So overall, I'm very happy. I reckon I'll have to find the tank tape though - I have a sneaking suspicion I will need it some day soon for that clip!
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

Good stuff, JD! Glad Asid could help out.

I would recommend binding the zoom to an axis though, if you have one free.
It enables better control over zoom in a combat situation.

If you're still using my profile; this is actually expected. I have limited the zoom and lateral viewpoint movement in my profile to enable a more steady view, but it does require the user to use a seperate form of zoom.
You can still lean forward a bit to get a slightly closer look (as you probably found out), but I use a slider to really zoom in and out.
On the Warthog HOTAS there is a conveniently placed slider next to the throttles. I use that for zoom.

The 1.5 speed suggestion in the readme might be too quick if you have a very high performance system. Play with lowering this if you find it too quick. The way this works is that it multiplies the speed of rotation.
So the angle of your head needed to rotate the view to a specific angle in-game is the same, but the movement speed gets multiplied effectively making it more sensitive.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

Thanks Yskonyn

I used your profile as a base as tweaked it a bit for my system - including the speed.

I have also put the zoom on a slider on my X52 Pro throttle which works great.  O0
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

You're welcome.

If you feel your zoom is too jittery on that slider, google how to setup a stepped curve for it. It is a known problem and that is the fix.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Asid

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 12, 2016, 02:56:42 AM
ASID actually helped out last night
If something is broken then come to me....I will break it some more  ::)
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Yskonyn

Lol! Well that's just because we would be asking a guy who is used to how things are done in a Chally 2!

Asid

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 12, 2016, 01:24:55 PM
Lol! Well that's just because we would be asking a guy who is used to how things are done in a Chally 2!
:-*
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Toonces

If you're flying helos or prop planes, I can't imagine trying to do it right without pedals.  So much of the control depends on rudder/tail rotor inputs.

If you're a jet guy, rudders aren't so important.  But I can't even imagine how you control a helo without your feet.

And TrackIR- I won't play a flight sim without it.  Period.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

Any notable news regarding DCS 2.0? 

I'd like to revisit DCS in the coming months.  Especially since the Mirage 2000 and F-5E are showing up.

Not in a big hurry, so if there are some notable updates coming before long then I'll continue being patient.  :)

Skoop

I'm waiting for them to merge 1.5 with 2.0, no way i'm having 2 dcs installs on my precious ssd.

Nefaro

Quote from: Skoop on August 04, 2016, 05:20:45 PM
I'm waiting for them to merge 1.5 with 2.0, no way i'm having 2 dcs installs on my precious ssd.

Was planning on just waiting for 2.0 also.  Doesn't seem to be anywhere near completion though. 

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on August 01, 2016, 10:15:43 PM
Any notable news regarding DCS 2.0? 

I'd like to revisit DCS in the coming months.  Especially since the Mirage 2000 and F-5E are showing up.

Not in a big hurry, so if there are some notable updates coming before long then I'll continue being patient.  :)
I actually, very lazily, do not keep up with news or developments. Only what they feed me - which seems to be new campaigns and modules. However, I have removed 1.5 from my system. Whenever I did load this up, I was more than happy loading 2 and Red flagging or just plain old cold startup and flying around.

I watched this video which I thought was quite cool...a load of aircraft turning up at Nevada

Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Nice.

I watched this online dogfight vid last week.   Mirage 2k vs Su-27.

Damn gripping!   :coolsmiley:

Pete Dero

Quote from: Nefaro on August 05, 2016, 06:00:21 PM
Quote from: Skoop on August 04, 2016, 05:20:45 PM

Was planning on just waiting for 2.0 also.  Doesn't seem to be anywhere near completion though.

Just got this in the mailbox :

DCS World 2.5 Update

Perhaps our biggest focus is on the huge DCS World 2.5 Update that will unify DCS World 1.5 and 2.0. Not only will the DCS World 2.5 be one version to rule them all, it will also include a vastly improved Caucasus map. Features of the new map will include improved and higher resolution textures and elevation mesh, improved trees, higher density of ground objects, improved lighting and shadowing, terrain projected shadows, procedural grass, and other improvements. Best of all, this will be our free gift to you.

DCS World 2.5 is still on track to be available in 2016.