Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

Quote from: Nefaro on September 17, 2016, 11:03:05 AM

Does the Random Mission Generator support Korean Era-only? 

It has dropdown options for setting platform generation restrictions on what planes/AA is spawned, right?

Not really.  You can set the number of units but I don't think you can limit them in type or in era.

I just tried it with FW-190 as the playable plane and got Su-27 and Mig as opponents and some F-15 on my side.

You can always generate a mission and edit the units in the editor later to fit your needs.

Nefaro

Quote from: Pete Dero on September 17, 2016, 01:30:31 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 17, 2016, 11:03:05 AM

Does the Random Mission Generator support Korean Era-only? 

It has dropdown options for setting platform generation restrictions on what planes/AA is spawned, right?

Not really.  You can set the number of units but I don't think you can limit them in type or in era.

I just tried it with FW-190 as the playable plane and got Su-27 and Mig as opponents and some F-15 on my side.

You can always generate a mission and edit the units in the editor later to fit your needs.

If that's the case, then they need to put those kinds of mission generation options in there. 

The random mission generator was a huge addition, IMO.  If they're going to add WW2 & Korea playables to a game that has equipment available through the 2000s, then they should've done it long ago.  Even for differentiating between Cold War and post-Cold War jet environments.

Jarhead0331

DCS in VR. O...M...G!!!

It almost made me puke, but my god how beautiful it is. You must try this. It puts trackir to shame.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

Three words:

Eff  You Jarhead.

:buck2:   O0

Seriously, though, you should think about typing up your thoughts for the Front Pagetm.  VR sounds great for flight sim in theory, but with button pushology, I wonder how it works long term.

I pick VR more of an Elite-type application.  I see limitations with modern flight simming ala DCS or BMS.

But, I've never done it, so...   :-\

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Does anyone read the front page?

Check out my initial impressions of the HTC Vive in the VR thread. I'm totally sold. It is stunning technology.

I've tried it with ED, and while it looked great, I couldn't get my throttle working for some reason. I'll have to tinker with it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

What the hell is the front page?   ???
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on September 19, 2016, 09:58:25 PM
What the hell is the front page?   ???

It's where you go to write articles about flight sims when you can't continue your VR experience due to nausea.

:))

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Toonces on September 19, 2016, 09:51:28 PM
Three words:

Eff  You Jarhead.

:buck2:   O0

Seriously, though, you should think about typing up your thoughts for the Front Pagetm.  VR sounds great for flight sim in theory, but with button pushology, I wonder how it works long term.

I pick VR more of an Elite-type application.  I see limitations with modern flight simming ala DCS or BMS.

But, I've never done it, so...   :-\
Aw bless - he believes the rumours  ;D
Alba gu' brath

Zulu1966

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 19, 2016, 09:55:27 PM

Check out my initial impressions of the HTC Vive in the VR thread. I'm totally sold. It is stunning technology.

I've tried it with ED, and while it looked great, I couldn't get my throttle working for some reason. I'll have to tinker with it.

What is it with the front page? I always read it. Love the idea of VR but I get the feeling that it would be an initial wow! And then the thing would sit there gathering dust. If it wasn't so expensive I would dip my toes just to see what it is.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Zulu1966 on September 20, 2016, 07:30:37 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 19, 2016, 09:55:27 PM

What is it with the front page? I always read it. Love the idea of VR but I get the feeling that it would be an initial wow! And then the thing would sit there gathering dust. If it wasn't so expensive I would dip my toes just to see what it is.

I guess it remains to be seen. However, so far the technology has taken away my desire to play anything non-VR. Of course, I will eventually, but right now, VR is like a drug. Its a total rush and the experience is only going to improve as the system advances, gets exploited by software developers and gets additional peripherals to make interaction in the virtual environment more seamless.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

I wasn't totally blown away with the support. I think that feeling was exacerbated by Steam with so many "seemingly pointless games" which actually just came across as tech demos.

Having said that I knew there was support for DCS and also pCars - two games I super enjoy. But - the price tag is just too high at the minute for two games. It took me a very, very long time to justify spending £100 on a half decent steering wheel for my driving sims and just as long to invest in a half decent joystick for my flight sims.

VR doesn't stand a chance until it's either around £200 or there's support for "most" of my gaming loves.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 20, 2016, 11:55:45 AM
I wasn't totally blown away with the support. I think that feeling was exacerbated by Steam with so many "seemingly pointless games" which actually just came across as tech demos.

Having said that I knew there was support for DCS and also pCars - two games I super enjoy. But - the price tag is just too high at the minute for two games. It took me a very, very long time to justify spending £100 on a half decent steering wheel for my driving sims and just as long to invest in a half decent joystick for my flight sims.

VR doesn't stand a chance until it's either around £200 or there's support for "most" of my gaming loves.

I think expecting older games that were designed and developed prior to the commercial availability of VR is setting expectations a little too high. The games I have been playing and enjoying are far more than tech demos, although, I do agree that the market has been flooded with a lot of games that are light on content and which are aimed at really just showing proof of concept. Have you popped into the VR thread? In it, I've been discussing some of the dedicated VR games I've been playing such as Onward, Raw Data, CDF Star Fighter and the Lab.  Personally, I think the technology is revolutionary and presently worth every penny. The price will likely come down eventually, but as the technology improves and advances, so too will the price.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Yes I have. Very informative thank you.  O0 I had never heard of Onward but it sounds very good.

When I was talking about "tech demos", I was really talking about the immediate aftermath of release of VR and specifically what was getting thrown in my face on Steam.  :knuppel2:

I'm not necessarily looking for "old game" support. In fact, I'm not at all. The games I have are pretty new or are still "work in progress" (DCS as an example) or are being enhanced with DLC. I've just bought F1 2016 and there's not even support for TrackIR in that game.  :tickedoff:

I generally do not go back to "old games", particularly of the sim/FPS variety. You know me better than that. I'm a graphics whore first and foremost with gaming coming in (a very important) second. By that I mean I can't have a great playing game if it looks shite...shallow? Aye. But that's my thing (though you wouldn't think so with the midrange system I have)  :P

Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 20, 2016, 01:46:44 PM
Yes I have. Very informative thank you.  O0 I had never heard of Onward but it sounds very good.

When I was talking about "tech demos", I was really talking about the immediate aftermath of release of VR and specifically what was getting thrown in my face on Steam.  :knuppel2:

I'm not necessarily looking for "old game" support. In fact, I'm not at all. The games I have are pretty new or are still "work in progress" (DCS as an example) or are being enhanced with DLC. I've just bought F1 2016 and there's not even support for TrackIR in that game.  :tickedoff:

I generally do not go back to "old games", particularly of the sim/FPS variety. You know me better than that. I'm a graphics whore first and foremost with gaming coming in (a very important) second. By that I mean I can't have a great playing game if it looks shite...shallow? Aye. But that's my thing (though you wouldn't think so with the midrange system I have)  :P

Once you play DCS in VR, so long as you can tolerate any motion related issues, you will NEVER go back to the old way. It is THAT impressive. As I've said, I have never experienced anything like it in my lifetime.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

Have you tried the vive with BOS/BOM, they recently added support for it and plan to upgrade the engine to dx12 for further VR support.

Also on the topic of flight sims, how do you fly and use the key board ?  I guess you must have all your controls set up for by feel ?