Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on February 22, 2017, 12:43:23 PM
Is the mig21 the latest you are focusing on?

I just did my initial HOTAS key setup but still haven't flown it.  I'm not sure how many ppl are currently flying on the Cold War server that is only F-5s, MiG-21s, and AJS-37s.  Didn't see many last week.  But it looks like fun when it's populated - IR missile dogfights.  "Heaters at noon." :coolsmiley:  Would get murderized taking it up against F-15s and Su-27s in some servers, though.

I just gotta get familiar with the MiG-21 and possibly tweak some keybinds.  And get used to landing it, since it's landing speed is higher than normal.  Just been "flying casual" with some of the simple Flaming Cliffs planes here & there.

I've actually been flying the Su-27 a fair bit lately.  It's a different air-to-air beast from the F-15, plus can drop dumb bombs/rockets if need be.  Think I enjoy flying it more than the F-15, although it has a little bit more details to learn than the '15 and it doesn't have Active RHMs like the AMRAAM.

jomni

I see more F-5 and Mirage than Mig-21 in non-Cold War servers.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on February 22, 2017, 05:30:16 PM
I see more F-5 and Mirage than Mig-21 in non-Cold War servers.

Actually, both the F-5 and MiG-21 are rather scarce in the servers with full aircraft & weapons options.  They're just older generation aircraft with little to no BVR capability.  I see them on occasion, but I think it's usually people sneaking around on the deck to do some ground attack.

Lately a portion of the player base has been knee deep in der Viggen hype.  I expect some of them to start participating on the Cold War server since they fit in better there too, having only IR missiles for AtA.

Admittedly, I've not checked the server populations often enough in the past couple weeks to get an idea when would be the most populated time to get some Cold War dogfighting.  There are probably a few people on each side during primetime every night.

Still haven't been PC gaming every day; semi-gaming-funk.  Sometimes I just want to take out an FC3 aircraft in multi-player and shoot at people without trying to memorize by repetition. Spent about 1.5 hours mapping the MiG-21 and A-10C keys to my hardware on Monday.  Still need to go for a few flights in single-player to make sure it's all working and get a feel for the Little Russian Rocket.  At least everyone says it's fairly easy to learn the systems!  :)

Pete Dero

Important issue if you have the mig-21 : https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=185642

Dear all,

At the end of this week (on Friday 07. April) all 3 available DCS versions will be updated.

Among other things, these updates contain the MiG-21Bis StarForce patch.

We recommend some minimal actions on your side to prepare for the patch.

Please, see attached files for details.

I found out my mig-21 activation no longer worked after updating.
Using the 'delete activation data.zip' file fixed it.

This info is a bit hidden on their forums and it took me a while to solve the issue, so I post this over here.

Nefaro

Quote from: Pete Dero on April 16, 2017, 03:17:43 AM
Important issue if you have the mig-21 : https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=185642

Dear all,

At the end of this week (on Friday 07. April) all 3 available DCS versions will be updated.

This info is a bit hidden on their forums and it took me a while to solve the issue, so I post this over here.

Saw that.

Looks like the old 'Leatherneck Studios', who created the MiG-21 module, has split into two separate ones.  Guess DCS changed their online activation to reflect that.

Pretty sure it said that if you only had one version of DCS installed (or maybe just DCS v1.5 beta) that you likely wouldn't have to do anything further. 

I only have 1.5 right now, and it gave me a pop-up error about my MiG-21 module after updating.  I just closed that warning window and proceeded.  Once I got into game, it seemed to have re-registered on it's own because the little icon at the bottom of the main screen was lit, and it showed as activated in the module manager screen. 

Haven't flown to double-check yet, but it's on my next "game to play" list - when I'm back from my months-long PC gaming hiatus.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Nefaro on April 16, 2017, 07:42:17 AM

Pretty sure it said that if you only had one version of DCS installed (or maybe just DCS v1.5 beta) that you likely wouldn't have to do anything further. 

I only have 1.5 right now, and it gave me a pop-up error about my MiG-21 module after updating.  I just closed that warning window and proceeded.  Once I got into game, it seemed to have re-registered on it's own because the little icon at the bottom of the main screen was lit, and it showed as activated in the module manager screen. 

Haven't flown to double-check yet, but it's on my next "game to play" list - when I'm back from my months-long PC gaming hiatus.

You have to get into a mission or campaign to find out that the mig is missing (in my case I only got access to the map and all units were AI controlled).
My icon was lit and I even could set is as wallpaper but the plane was de-activated in game.

The zip file (including a registry fix) solved the problem.

Nefaro

Quote from: Pete Dero on April 16, 2017, 08:04:30 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 16, 2017, 07:42:17 AM

You have to get into a mission or campaign to find out that the mig is missing (in my case I only got access to the map and all units were AI controlled).
My icon was lit and I even could set is as wallpaper but the plane was de-activated in game.

The zip file (including a registry fix) solved the problem.

Good to know.  Wouldn't surprise me if I had to fix it manually.

Reminds me of the Black Shark upgrade pack activation issues I had in the past. 

Nefaro

50% Off DCS  Summer Sale

(most modules & maps - except WW2 stuff and Mirage 2k)

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/

Running until the morning of the 24th.

Toonces

I might be up for dropping a few bucks.  I notice, however, that a number of the downloads say "DRM key has 3 installations".  So, what happens after you burn through all 3?  Can you get more, or are you SOL?

With the dynamic nature of DCS nowadays, I'm hesitant to buy anything if I only get three chances to get it to install or update properly.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on July 14, 2017, 02:55:26 PM
I might be up for dropping a few bucks.  I notice, however, that a number of the downloads say "DRM key has 3 installations".  So, what happens after you burn through all 3?  Can you get more, or are you SOL?

With the dynamic nature of DCS nowadays, I'm hesitant to buy anything if I only get three chances to get it to install or update properly.

Yes, you get more.

I believe the DCS activation system automatically renews key usage over a certain amount of time.  At least, that was the case the last time I checked.  I've not had to contact them to get it done manually before, despite numerous re-installs over the years.

Toonces

Has anybody tried those F-5 Aggressor campaigns? 

I'm eyeballing the F-5, MiG-15, Viggen, L-39, and the two F-5 campaigns.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Tuna

Quote from: Nefaro on July 14, 2017, 05:45:51 PM
Quote from: Toonces on July 14, 2017, 02:55:26 PM

Yes, you get more.

I believe the DCS activation system automatically renews key usage over a certain amount of time.  At least, that was the case the last time I checked.  I've not had to contact them to get it done manually before, despite numerous re-installs over the years.

doesn't it just add the plane to your ID, and you're just good to go? So if you reinstalled the 'world'.. your planes are all there when you log in (if you activated them whenever before)?

mikeck

I wish we could get a hold of some of these planes in the "flaming cloffs3 model....as in, "intermediate difficulty opposed to DCS hard. It's only the F-15, Su-27, A-10 and Su-25. I would love to fly the Mig-21 or mirage 2000 but the level of difficulty for the DCS variants is too much for me
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

WTF is it with the Mig-21 module?

A while back I had an issue where if I flipped between 1.5 and 2, it used an activation everytime I went into one of the DCS Worlds. That (I think) was eventually sorted and iirc I got my activations back.

Now I've just gone into DCS World for the first time in a long time and the Mig-21 module is giving me an activation error and DCS 2 won't even boot!  :knuppel2:

Starforce - f***ing shocker.

Anyway - in case anyone else has an issue I found this which *may* help - I'm trying it now and will report back.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=185642

*EDIT*
Just found this from Pete further up - thanks Pete. Didn't see it at first.
Quote from: Pete Dero on April 16, 2017, 03:17:43 AM

Dear all,

Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

Read.... Breathe... Read.... Breathe... :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."