Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Some informative Q&A with Wags regarding new & planned features in v2.5:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/01/26/the-flare-path-jets-jungle-and-jack-yards/

Something I've not heard of before - plans to add integrated persistent multi-player campaign features.   :coolsmiley:

QuoteRPS: MBot's dynamic campaigns for DCS World seem popular. Have they influenced ED's thinking at all?

Matt: While we certainly applaud his efforts, we have much bigger plans for DCS World on this front. We are pursuing much more ambitious plans that incorporate community, cause-and-effect continuity, strategic and tactical goals, player performance tracking and rewards, and accounting for time periods.

A bit too early to go into more detail, but this is very much a high priority for us moving forward post-2.5.

Yskonyn

Something to look forward to in 2030! 😜
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Toonces

Seriously.   ::)

Welcome to 1998, DCS!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JudgeDredd

I have absolutely zero willpower - and I'm ok with that  :buck2:

Alba gu' brath

Toonces

It's going to be fantastic.  I'm stoked for you.  I'll be getting this at some point, but I need to wait for DCS to stabilize a bit.  I just don't play it enough to keep up with the patches and such.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

RyanE

As real life planes evolve with new capabilities, does DCS update the in game planes?  Or is this one of those things where the planes take so long to develop that they are out of date immediately.

Nefaro

Quote from: RyanE on January 29, 2018, 07:55:45 PM
As real life planes evolve with new capabilities, does DCS update the in game planes?  Or is this one of those things where the planes take so long to develop that they are out of date immediately.

The aircraft models are snapshots in time.  They model a specific model at a specific time, or stretch of history.

From what I've gathered, they don't do the fully featured aircraft unless they have access to all the data on them.  So they end up creating versions which have either had their systems and flight info declassified or have been given permission to use the manufacturer's info & such.

For example, the F-18 module will be based on an F/A-18C from around the mid-2000s period.  The developers got permission, and have partnered with Boeing (the current manufacturer/owner) to get all the info they need to simulate the aircraft.

As an opposite comparison, they reportedly wanted to do a MiG-23 module but the Russian gov't slammed the door on that because they wanted to keep some of the data classified despite it's age. 

JudgeDredd

IIRC DCS have said in the past they wouldn't make a model unless they had access to all the data to make a full representation of the aircraft.

I don't know if they've ever changed or strayed from that statement.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Toonces on January 29, 2018, 07:48:04 PM
It's going to be fantastic.  I'm stoked for you.  I'll be getting this at some point, but I need to wait for DCS to stabilize a bit.  I just don't play it enough to keep up with the patches and such.
imo, $20 was quite a saving and I would be buying it anyway. It didn't make sense to not pre-purchase.
Alba gu' brath

Skoop

^ Me too...been a long time coming, can't wait.  Flying the harrier in the meantime.  You could just buy the hornet and never buy any other aircraft in dcs, it does a little of everything well.  I'll probably fly nothing else until they make dcs f-16 or a mudhen.

RyanE

Quote from: Nefaro on January 29, 2018, 11:19:41 PM
Quote from: RyanE on January 29, 2018, 07:55:45 PM

The aircraft models are snapshots in time.  They model a specific model at a specific time, or stretch of history.

From what I've gathered, they don't do the fully featured aircraft unless they have access to all the data on them.  So they end up creating versions which have either had their systems and flight info declassified or have been given permission to use the manufacturer's info & such.

For example, the F-18 module will be based on an F/A-18C from around the mid-2000s period.  The developers got permission, and have partnered with Boeing (the current manufacturer/owner) to get all the info they need to simulate the aircraft.

As an opposite comparison, they reportedly wanted to do a MiG-23 module but the Russian gov't slammed the door on that because they wanted to keep some of the data classified despite it's age.

I would think this limits the ability to broaden the WW2 aircraft.  There were dozens of veriosn of Me-109s and Fw-190s.  I don't think there aren't many of them flying.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on January 30, 2018, 02:38:55 PM
^ Me too...been a long time coming, can't wait.  Flying the harrier in the meantime.  You could just buy the hornet and never buy any other aircraft in dcs, it does a little of everything well.  I'll probably fly nothing else until they make dcs f-16 or a mudhen.

:2funny: As if! And monkeys might fly out of my butt!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

...aaaaaaannnd 2.5.0 is out! Install detected 2.0 Alpha and asked if I wanted to move files and delete. So far, install was seemless.

Cover my 6. I'm going in.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

Guess I started downloading later than some.  Took 6 hours to get the extra ~17GB downloaded.  Alright, though, as I didn't plan on firing it up for a day or two anyway.

Had to do the command line start on the updater to force the open beta download.

They put out a new official vid for 2.5.  Pretty  :coolsmiley: :