Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

^Stunning. Nearly brings me to tears and makes me proud to be human.

For some reason, the download was 46GB for me...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2018, 11:31:36 PM
^Stunning. Nearly brings me to tears and makes me proud to be human.

For some reason, the download was 46GB for me...

Yeah, good vid.  8)

Did you only have 1.5.8 installed, or both 1.5 and 2.2? 

Mine copied files over from my 2.2 install, saving a bunch of redownloaded files.   Then asked me if I wanted to keep 2.2 installed (nope!).

Jarhead0331

I did not have the stable 1.5.8 installed. I had the beta and 2.2 alpha. Perhaps this is why? Mine also said it would copy files over from 2.2 and delete them once finished.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

MikeGER

looks like i have the 1.52 version, fired it up but i don't get any auto update, or a message-box,  and i cant find a update button?

What to do ...just waiting a few more days?

-edit- found the updater in the bin folder, fired it up,  and now updater is updating itself and now downloading ...i guess 1.58

Jarhead0331

You can't update to 2.5 directly from the stable build of 1.5.8. Only the 1.5 beta updates to 2.5 beta, but you can use the commander update utility to force the update, I believe.

Alternatively, I believe ED will be releasing a separate download file for the 2.5 beta today. How do I know all this? Don't ask...I spent the entire night trying to sort out my downloads and had to start over from scratch!

It's not DCS' fault, my stupid computer kept locking and rebooting at various times during the download, unpacking and installing process leading to a corrupt installation. I ended up having to delete the beta and open alpha. I dont know how I'm going to work today. I got virtually no sleep last night trying to make this right.

What's most painful is that the new build of VTOL VR came out and I really wanted to try it, but in my haste to download the new DCS build, I ended up playing nothing and struggling through the whole night.  :pullhair:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

Forty six gigs of
unfinished software, oh joy.
Humans, for the win!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

Quote from: MikeGER on January 31, 2018, 04:47:01 AM
looks like i have the 1.52 version, fired it up but i don't get any auto update, or a message-box,  and i cant find a update button?

What to do ...just waiting a few more days?

-edit- found the updater in the bin folder, fired it up,  and now updater is updating itself and now downloading ...i guess 1.58

You have to run the v1.5 updater exe with a specific command to force the open beta update.  In the cm(win10)/cmd(previous Wins) command line program (the DOS style one).

Running it with these switches:  "DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta"

General instructions here:  https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

I figured they might release an open beta installer file, but dunno.  Either way, the OB should be done in a week or two, and get pushed to normal release.  I'd be extremely surprised if there weren't new bugs to be fixed before then.

Jarhead0331

the 2.5 open beta installer has been released. Its in the downloads section of the store page.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

I had a chance to sit down with 2.5 beta tonight and oh my!  :smitten:

-The new Caucasus terrain is just great. Very nice and realistic looking mesh now. Roads flow much more naturally, mountains look like one and it really gets a good showoff with the new lighting system at dawn or dusk. Very pretty!

-The new spotting system works well! Ground units might be a tad too easy to find now, but on the flipside air to air engagements just prior to the merge are much more realistic now in terms of being able to spot the other guy or not. When glinting gets added the system is the best in the simming world imo.

-The new trees look a bit rough close up, but actually look very realistic higher up. Their density is insane; DCS finally has Cliffs of Dover like tree density and it doesnt hurt performance.
Trees now also block Line of Sight, but remain uncollidable to ground units. Smart thing to avoid pathfinding woes and unneccessary calculations while still enabling their core function in the simulation.

-New smoke effects are awesome!

-New sound engine is much better, but still lacking in the cinematic flyby part and positional audio could be more pronounced imo.

-New weather system present a more gradual visibility system, but this might also be tied to the new terrain and lighting system. Still, the new clouds look great. I did see some annoying popup clouds, though.

Very happy with my first impression!!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

Started downloading 2.5 tonight when I got home from work - that was 5 hours ago and it's less than half way done (18GB out of 46GB).

Goodnight  :hug:
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 31, 2018, 03:36:48 PM
I had a chance to sit down with 2.5 beta tonight and oh my!  :smitten:

-The new Caucasus terrain is just great. Very nice and realistic looking mesh now. Roads flow much more naturally, mountains look like one and it really gets a good showoff with the new lighting system at dawn or dusk. Very pretty!

-The new spotting system works well! Ground units might be a tad too easy to find now, but on the flipside air to air engagements just prior to the merge are much more realistic now in terms of being able to spot the other guy or not. When glinting gets added the system is the best in the simming world imo.

-The new trees look a bit rough close up, but actually look very realistic higher up. Their density is insane; DCS finally has Cliffs of Dover like tree density and it doesnt hurt performance.
Trees now also block Line of Sight, but remain uncollidable to ground units. Smart thing to avoid pathfinding woes and unneccessary calculations while still enabling their core function in the simulation.

-New smoke effects are awesome!

-New sound engine is much better, but still lacking in the cinematic flyby part and positional audio could be more pronounced imo.

-New weather system present a more gradual visibility system, but this might also be tied to the new terrain and lighting system. Still, the new clouds look great. I did see some annoying popup clouds, though.

Very happy with my first impression!!

The lighting improvements were SO needed.  Can't wait for the glint effects to be added.

The smoke and dirt thrown from explosions is impressive, from what little I've seen.  :smitten:

I think it still has the huge lag freezes, in multiplayer, when someone spawns into an aircraft.  Not good at all when you're flying down on the deck and the server stops sending you packets for 3 to 5 seconds.  :hide:

MikeGER

THX for the info and head up  guys O0

i think i don't have the disk space for two separate installs atm ...i even have to clean up a HDD for just the patch
and no way it fits no my SSD and i think an install on my large USB (3?) drive is not a good ideal

Jarhead0331

The install procedure works well, but its just a bear...man. Downloading, unpacking, installing, runtime...it takes 5 hours. Caused space problems for me too and I had to jockey things around between SSD and main storage drive.

...and don't forget..the Nevada module alone is another 30GB. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Sh!t.

I had 1.5 on my normal drive because I hardly fired it up and had 2 on my SSD. Now - after many hours of download and a couple of hiccups - I've got 2.5 on my normal drive and plenty of space on my SSD!!

:pullhair:

I'll give it a go on my normal drive - but I've got a sneaking suspicion I'll want to uninstall and reinstall on my SSD. Just as well the rugby is on this weekend  :dreamer:
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 01, 2018, 04:42:07 PM
Sh!t.

I had 1.5 on my normal drive because I hardly fired it up and had 2 on my SSD. Now - after many hours of download and a couple of hiccups - I've got 2.5 on my normal drive and plenty of space on my SSD!!

:pullhair:

I'll give it a go on my normal drive - but I've got a sneaking suspicion I'll want to uninstall and reinstall on my SSD. Just as well the rugby is on this weekend  :dreamer:

I had the same issue! I had 1.5.8 beta on my SSD and 2.1 Alpha on my normal drive. Ultimately, I ended up with 2.5 on my normal drive. At 46GB + 30GB plus for the modules, I just can't have all that on a 250GB SSD drive. I'll let you know if I perceive a performance drop.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog