iPad Board Games

Started by Barthheart, March 26, 2012, 07:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Intersting site that reviews board games ported to iOS:

http://ipadboardgames.org/

Also has a section on upcoming games.

LongBlade

A couple of years ago Microsoft released a concept technology that was essentially a big touch screen embedded in a table.

David Heath and I chatted about the possibility of "boardgaming" on such a device. It clearly has the potential.

I cannot poo-poo this move to port boardgames to an iPad, though I would like to.

To me, the problem is one of size - boardgames typically have large playing surfaces, many "oversize."

I'm not sure how you effectively shoehorn large maps onto a small iPad screen, but apparently that isn't stopping a lot of devs from trying.

This will be one area where the iPad will have a distinct edge over smaller, more convenient devices such as my Kindle Fire.

I really like the idea.

Can you imagine toting around one device that effectively lets you break out half your gaming library on a moment's notice?

Think about it: Axis & Allies (and its various sister games) happily stored next to Starship Troopers, Agricola, Settlers of Catan (not that I'm a Eurogamer, but this is an example) and Supremacy?

All of it: right there.

It's a very cool idea. I hope they are successful.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Barthheart

I'm still hoping one day to get one of those tables. It would be awesome.... although tough to drag to our yearly Guys Weekend game fests.

I'm not sure how big a game board would be practical on the iPad either but am very interested in see what they can pull off.

I can imagine several of Victory Point's games, for example, being easily ported as most of the maps are small to start.
Tactical game would work, but I don't think monster games like Fire in the East would work becasue you can't get an over all view of the entire map in any meanigful way.

It should be an interesting few years to come to see if anyone decides to capitalize on this market....

LongBlade

Quote from: Barthheart on March 26, 2012, 08:58:01 AM
I'm still hoping one day to get one of those tables. It would be awesome.... although tough to drag to our yearly Guys Weekend game fests.

I'm not sure how big a game board would be practical on the iPad either but am very interested in see what they can pull off.

With a simple network card you wouldn't need to lug it all over the place - just fire it up and play your buds like you do on a PC.

Face to face it's probably better to bring the real thing, though in a pinch a small-ish tablet might be a decent substitute.

(at the risk of derailing this thread) This is where minis games seem to be prospering in the onslaught of electronic games. The tactile dimension of physical minis (especially ones you have personally built and painted) provides an experience that cannot be replicated by pixels.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Barthheart

Quote from: LongBlade on March 26, 2012, 10:07:45 AM
With a simple network card you wouldn't need to lug it all over the place - just fire it up and play your buds like you do on a PC.

Face to face it's probably better to bring the real thing, though in a pinch a small-ish tablet might be a decent substitute.

Yeah, I was talking face to face.... it would help protect the expensive real game from my beer slopping buddies..  :P

Quote from: LongBlade on March 26, 2012, 10:07:45 AM
(at the risk of derailing this thread) This is where minis games seem to be prospering in the onslaught of electronic games. The tactile dimension of physical minis (especially ones you have personally built and painted) provides an experience that cannot be replicated by pixels.

This is partly why I don't play games solo with VASSAL. It's just as much work to play and you don't get the tactile input of the real thing. Handling cardboard divisions or tanks just adds to the experience.
But a fully portable version with rules enforcement and an opponent would be good for travel.