Sneaky Release of Nobunaga's Ambition

Started by Jarhead0331, August 27, 2014, 06:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Quote from: W8taminute on September 02, 2015, 05:49:39 PM
I read on another forum that Steam forgot to include a game manual with the game.  Can anyone here who owns the game verify this?  I was leaning towards picking up the PC version but if there is no game manual I'll get the PS4 version.

The manual is there.  Press the "Manual" button in the pop up start menu.

W8taminute

Quote from: jomni on September 02, 2015, 06:07:13 PM
I read on another forum that Steam forgot to include a game manual with the game.  Can anyone here who owns the game verify this?  I was leaning towards picking up the PC version but if there is no game manual I'll get the PS4 version.

Ah I see.  So it is built into the game just like the import PS4 version.  Thanks for the response.  I'm leaving the house now to either buy some Steam cards to refill my wallet or pickup the PS4 version.  Which ever comes first!  LOL
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

jomni

Quote from: W8taminute on September 02, 2015, 06:10:08 PM
Quote from: jomni on September 02, 2015, 06:07:13 PM

Ah I see.  So it is built into the game just like the import PS4 version.  Thanks for the response.  I'm leaving the house now to either buy some Steam cards to refill my wallet or pickup the PS4 version.  Which ever comes first!  LOL

Not really built in but the PDF file is opened.
There are real in-game references too.

Nefaro

The PDF manual is just a little sliver of a sucky thing.  There's more info about the game mechanics on the in-game Help menus.  Those aren't always clear but will point you in the general direction.

I expected to get my ass handed to me early in my first campaign, when my huge neighbor attacked me, but I've actually doubled the amount of castles I started off with after a short time.  Enjoying it thus far.

tgb

You don't need the manual, really.  There's a basic tutorial, help screens every time you do something for the first time, and a Nobunagapedia available.  If you really feel like you need one, I have a .pdf of the PS4 manual.  Other than controller functions, it is the same information as the PC version.

I started a new game in the Birth of Nobunaga scenario, this time playing as the Shimazu clan.  Being located on the tip of a peninsula in the SW corner of the map gives me some breathing room, what with having only one front to worry about in the beginning.

I'm playing a lot more conservatively this time, using my initial turns to survey my provinces and develop my main castle town as per the first quest.  I have 8 generals, but their stats aren't so great, and 4 of them are working as overseers anyway.  I've already heard from my neghbor about joining forces to take out the guy on the other side of us, but can't afford to send anyone over to start building up trust just yet.

jomni

Ah Shimazu, that's the clan every newbie loves due to location. Even in Shogun Total War. 

I will begin playing as Takeda during the weekend. Maybe do an AAR in the boards.

Apocalypse 31

This is a beautiful looking game.

Is this the same game engine that was used in RUSE/Wargame series? (IrisZoom)

jomni

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on September 02, 2015, 09:09:21 PM
This is a beautiful looking game.

Is this the same game engine that was used in RUSE/Wargame series? (IrisZoom)

I doubt it.

The music is beautiful too. It's the type of music being used in Japanese Historical Dramas (TV Series).  And the art.  A lot of effort has been put on those portraits

Nefaro

Someone posted some quick details about how the game plays, and some examples of what you can do:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/392470/discussions/0/520518053433542711/

tgb

Quote from: jomni on September 02, 2015, 08:55:11 PM
Ah Shimazu, that's the clan every newbie loves due to location. Even in Shogun Total War. 

I will begin playing as Takeda during the weekend. Maybe do an AAR in the boards.

Who you calling a newbie?  :D

Somewhere buried in the nest of menus is a screen that shows loyalty of the people in your main castle and fortresses, but I can't seem to find it.  You wouldn't happen to remember where it is, would you?

jomni

W8taminute

Quote from: tgb on September 03, 2015, 04:01:09 AM
Quote from: jomni on September 02, 2015, 08:55:11 PM

Somewhere buried in the nest of menus is a screen that shows loyalty of the people in your main castle and fortresses, but I can't seem to find it.  You wouldn't happen to remember where it is, would you?

I know in the PS4 version if you press R3 while hovering over a city you get a popup which among other stats shows your people's loyalty in that town.  I wonder if you R-Click using the mouse in the PC version you get the same popup. 

Well I managed to pickup the PS4 version last night.  Decided on the PS4 version because a) my local GameStop had 2 copies left and b) I've been playing Koei games on a console since 1989 and for me it wouldn't feel right any other way.   :)

Anywho the PS4 version does not come with a printed manual.  You access it like you do on the PC version. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

tgb

One thing I want to mention because it's sometimes overlooked is how good the interface is for a game this involved.  Despite a system of menus-within-menus and dozens of things you might be able to do every turn, you always know which choices are and aren't available and which targets are viable for those choices.

In too many grand strategy games you either have to scour the map or study a spreadsheet in order to find opportunities for action.

Nefaro

Quote from: tgb on September 03, 2015, 04:01:09 AM

In your Officer List, there are small tabs above it.  One is labelled "Loyalty" and has a colored graphic to represent current loyalty in the list.  The columns are sortable if you click on them, as expected.  There is some nice info in those various tabs, so you don't have to open every character and then tab through each individually.

Two ways to get to your Officer List:

1) Click the Menu button, top right, with the three horizontal lines on it.  I think it's called a Data or Lists screen.  The right column will have buttons for full lists of your Holdings, Officers, Etc.  Choose the Officer one.

2) Zoom the map all the way out.  Click on your clan flag.  Choose the magnifying glass button on the newly opened clan data box on the right, next to where it says "Officers". 

O0

You can also use similar UI routes to check out other clans' officers, holdings, etc.

Quote from: W8taminute on September 03, 2015, 05:48:05 AM

I know in the PS4 version if you press R3 while hovering over a city you get a popup which among other stats shows your people's loyalty in that town.  I wonder if you R-Click using the mouse in the PC version you get the same popup. 

Rt-Click on the PC version defaults to 'Cancel/Go-Back', but there is an option to turn it off.  I'm not sure if you get a R-Click menu if you turn it off, though, and I tend to use the default go-back command fairly often.

Nefaro

My Mori start in the longest campaign has gone better than I expected.  Doubled my holdings in the first few years and upgraded them quite a bit.

Mori Motonari is one badass daimyo to start with and he had a good stable of generals too.  Gonna be sweeping through some more defenses soon.   >:D