Sneaky Release of Nobunaga's Ambition

Started by Jarhead0331, August 27, 2014, 06:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgb

Quote from: Nefaro on September 03, 2015, 12:33:12 PM
Quote from: tgb on September 03, 2015, 04:01:09 AM

Who you calling a newbie?  :D

Somewhere buried in the nest of menus is a screen that shows loyalty of the people in your main castle and fortresses, but I can't seem to find it.  You wouldn't happen to remember where it is, would you?

I wasn't clear.  Sorry. I meant loyalty of people in the fortress villages.  But I found it anyway.

In your Officer List, there are small tabs above it.  One is labelled "Loyalty" and has a colored graphic to represent current loyalty in the list.  The columns are sortable if you click on them, as expected.  There is some nice info in those various tabs, so you don't have to open every character and then tab through each individually.

Two ways to get to your Officer List:

1) Click the Menu button, top right, with the three horizontal lines on it.  I think it's called a Data or Lists screen.  The right column will have buttons for full lists of your Holdings, Officers, Etc.  Choose the Officer one.

2) Zoom the map all the way out.  Click on your clan flag.  Choose the magnifying glass button on the newly opened clan data box on the right, next to where it says "Officers". 

O0

You can also use similar UI routes to check out other clans' officers, holdings, etc.

Quote from: W8taminute on September 03, 2015, 05:48:05 AM

I know in the PS4 version if you press R3 while hovering over a city you get a popup which among other stats shows your people's loyalty in that town.  I wonder if you R-Click using the mouse in the PC version you get the same popup. 

Rt-Click on the PC version defaults to 'Cancel/Go-Back', but there is an option to turn it off.  I'm not sure if you get a R-Click menu if you turn it off, though, and I tend to use the default go-back command fairly often.

tgb

Some questions  regarding diplomacy:

As noted, I'm playing the Shimazu clan.  I haven't done anything about diplomacy with the other Daimyos in the neighborhood because I can't afford it yet. About half a dozen turns in I was approached by the Shimadu clan to the North requesting a 2 year alliance (costs 80 Trust) and that we work together to eliminate our neighbor to the East, the Kimatsuki. When I go to the diplomacy menu, I have 20 Trust with the Shimadus, left over form the formation of the alliance, I assume.

1) Where did the 100 Trust come from?  I didn't send anyone out, and I never got a notice about anyone coming to my court.  If the Shimados sent someone over to start building up Trust, shouldn't I have gotten a message about it?

2) I'm pretty much ready to strike against the Kimotsuki.  As my ally (and this was their idea in the first place), will my ally the Shimadus automatically send out troops to support me, or do I have to wait until I get Trust back up to 40 and formally request it?

jomni

I think trust accrues automatically depending on the relations (Friendly, Normal, Hostile) but the pace is still slow.
It will accrue faster if you send envoys (at a cost of 600 gold every month), marriage relations, alliances(?). 

They will not automatically send reinforcements.  You will have to use the trust points to make the request.

Disclaimer.  This is based on my limited experience with the Chinese version of the game.  Haven't played this one much.

jomni

I just saw in a manual that I haven't noticed and tried before.  You can actually submit and become a vassal of a larger clan.  Maybe that's also a way to survive if you're small.

W8taminute

Quote from: jomni on September 03, 2015, 05:20:00 PM
I think trust accrues automatically depending on the relations (Friendly, Normal, Hostile) but the pace is still slow.
It will accrue faster if you send envoys (at a cost of 600 gold every month), marriage relations, alliances(?). 

They will not automatically send reinforcements.  You will have to use the trust points to make the request.

Disclaimer.  This is based on my limited experience with the Chinese version of the game.  Haven't played this one much.

You are correct in terms of gaining trust and asking for reinforcements. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

tgb

Quote from: jomni on September 03, 2015, 05:30:32 PM
I just saw in a manual that I haven't noticed and tried before.  You can actually submit and become a vassal of a larger clan.  Maybe that's also a way to survive if you're small.

Not only that, but if your liege succeeds at one of the victory conditions, that's considered a win for you as well.

tgb

Quote from: W8taminute on September 03, 2015, 07:00:09 PM

So I got Trust with the Shimazu up to 40, but still couldn't ask for support.  I thought I might have to try to surround the castle first, but that made no difference.

I keep getting a message saying I don't have enough troops to surround the castle, but the option to request support is grayed out in both the council menu and the military menu, even though trust with the Shimazu is 40.

What am I doing wrong?

Nefaro

I started the campaign having 40 Trust with my liege. 

Before long I was attacked by a much larger neighbor.  Fortunately they didn't send everything they had against me, so I managed to hold them off, but I couldn't use that 40 Trust to request my liege send troops to assist in my defense.  For awhile, at least.  It eventually.. unlocked? 

Whatever happened, I didn't need to use it by the time it unlocked because my attacker had evidently taken a standing hit with my lord's faction (for attacking me, his vassal/ally) and my lord eventually started attacking him of his own accord.  Or maybe he started attacking him after he had stripped troops from neighboring castles to attack me?  I dunno. 

Maybe you need to be at war with someone for awhile (their standing at "Refused"), in that situation, before the option to spend those diplo points becomes available?  Or perhaps there is an extra hidden time factor regarding how long you've had neutral/good relations before being able to use those points in diplomacy?  Since the game had just started shortly before, and my liege lord's diplo stance towards me was the "Normal" neutral one, that could well be the reason.

My points don't go up with other factions on friendly terms with me.  At all.  I have to spend and send to get them.  Their general stance towards me, in the form of one word displayed with the Diplomacy map overlay on, is the only thing that varies on it's own.  Maybe in the Chinese version this is also displayed as a numerical value that changes?  I'm just seeing the words.

jomni

Quote from: tgb on September 03, 2015, 07:37:31 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on September 03, 2015, 07:00:09 PM

So I got Trust with the Shimazu up to 40, but still couldn't ask for support.  I thought I might have to try to surround the castle first, but that made no difference.

I keep getting a message saying I don't have enough troops to surround the castle, but the option to request support is grayed out in both the council menu and the military menu, even though trust with the Shimazu is 40.

What am I doing wrong?

Are all your officers out camapaigning?

tgb

No.  But I just noticed that they're called relief forces.  Does that mean I can only call them in when I'm attacked?

W8taminute

Quote from: tgb on September 03, 2015, 09:05:51 PM
No.  But I just noticed that they're called relief forces.  Does that mean I can only call them in when I'm attacked?

They will come to your aid even when you are the one doing the attacking.  First though you must have at least a 6 month ally treaty with them.  Remember though that if you ask for their troops to help you it costs trust points.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

tgb

Quote from: W8taminute on September 03, 2015, 11:01:42 PM
Quote from: tgb on September 03, 2015, 09:05:51 PM

They will come to your aid even when you are the one doing the attacking.  First though you must have at least a 6 month ally treaty with them.  Remember though that if you ask for their troops to help you it costs trust points.

I already covered that.  I have a 2 year alliance and 40 trust points and the option to ask for support is still grayed out.

Grim.Reaper

I keep reading this thread in hopes something will click with me to want to purchase.....but just hasn't happened yet.  I am getting the impression it could be pretty complex to play, but maybe that is incorrect.  Maybe if it was a little cheaper I would take the risk.  I'll keep monitoring to see if at somepoint something sticks with me.

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 04, 2015, 04:56:03 AM
I keep reading this thread in hopes something will click with me to want to purchase.....but just hasn't happened yet.  I am getting the impression it could be pretty complex to play, but maybe that is incorrect.  Maybe if it was a little cheaper I would take the risk.  I'll keep monitoring to see if at somepoint something sticks with me.

It takes some fingering out.  But I kinda enjoy solving the mysteries.

Definitely getting those "one more turn" urges, where it's difficult to save and exit the game.  Although most turns just consist of setting up some land development orders.  I always enjoyed focusing on economic & military improvements in grand strategy games, so that's probably why.

If you like playing the strategic turn-based side of the Total War series, or other grand strategies, then it's worth looking into getting this.  You should have some interest in the setting, though.  The actual combat is very hands-off.. I usually just let it auto-resolve, as it does by default.  So don't expect fancy combat mechanics.

My biggest concern with the game, right now, is whether there will be a shortage of Generals to do your bidding late in the game.  AFAICT the only new ones you get are your Daimyo's own offspring, which are scripted to be the historical ones.  I don't think our retainers have children that will join the clan to serve you.  If that's the case, getting more generals consists of either bribing the rare unhappy one (which also tend to be that way with you, eventually) or conquering whole clans and forcing their pliable generals into your service (for which they'll be a bit unhappy for awhile too).