Sneaky Release of Nobunaga's Ambition

Started by Jarhead0331, August 27, 2014, 06:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Nefaro, Background on Mori:

The Mōri (actually read as Mouri) was an illustrious clan.  They have one of the better navies and controlled the Inland Sea.  They supported the Ikko Ikki against Oda Nobunaga.
Nobunaga sent Toyotomi Hideyoshi to get rid of them but Nobunaga's untimely death resulted into a truce between Mori and Toyotomi.  Toyotomi became leader of all of Japan and the Mori participated in the disastrous invasion of Korea.  Discontent on Toyotomi brewed and when he died and passed on control to his infant child, all hell broke loose.  The Mori was supposed to be the leader of the Western alliance against Tokugawa's Eastern alliance.  But they were indecisive during the battle of Sekigahara and Ishida ended up in control of the Western alliance instead.

tgb

You can only build a coalition of small clans against one significantly larger. The command is in the military menu, I think.

jomni

Quote from: tgb on September 06, 2015, 05:53:44 AM
You can only build a coalition of small clans against one significantly larger. The command is in the military menu, I think.

Oh during real time mode?

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on September 06, 2015, 01:51:54 AM
Nefaro, Background on Mori:

The Mōri (actually read as Mouri) was an illustrious clan.  They have one of the better navies and controlled the Inland Sea.  They supported the Ikko Ikki against Oda Nobunaga.
Nobunaga sent Toyotomi Hideyoshi to get rid of them but Nobunaga's untimely death resulted into a truce between Mori and Toyotomi.  Toyotomi became leader of all of Japan and the Mori participated in the disastrous invasion of Korea.  Discontent on Toyotomi brewed and when he died and passed on control to his infant child, all hell broke loose.  The Mori was supposed to be the leader of the Western alliance against Tokugawa's Eastern alliance.  But they were indecisive during the battle of Sekigahara and Ishida ended up in control of the Western alliance instead.

Thanks.

The little historical blurb in Motonari's character window, about winning a battle outnumbered 5-to-1, made me curious about finer details. 

I think this page helped with the summation:

http://wiki.samurai-archives.com/index.php?title=Mori_Motonari

QuoteUnder his leadership the Môri had expanded from a few districts in Aki to rule over ten of the Chugoku's eleven provinces. Motonari was known even in his day as a master of wiles and trickery, a warlord whose schemes won as many battles as his soldiers. His greatest victories: Arita-Nakaide, Yoshida-Koriyama, and Itskushima had all been against numerically superior foes and involved bold action on Motonari's part.

It's that kind of historical (and sometimes mythical?) stuff I like to dig up about some of the lesser known daimyos of the period.  That looks like a pretty good wiki for it.   Alphabetical List of Daimyo info

spelk

For flavour and bad quality video you could watch this playlist...

Nobunaga
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvuV7nJC0j_3el5wVOFpWcJjEbGRAVlu0

Or just for a brief slice of battle, try this..

I'm sure theres better out there..

W8taminute

Quote from: jomni on September 06, 2015, 06:15:22 AM
Quote from: tgb on September 06, 2015, 05:53:44 AM

Oh during real time mode?

No during the council mode.  The option to build a coalition is under diplomacy mode, fourth one in from the left iirc.  The icon looks something like a fence but will only be illuminated if circumstances permit.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Ian C

JasonPratt

I weakened. My rationale being that if I help support them on release, maybe they'll figure they should localize (and develop) more games.

DYNASTY TACTICS 3! DYNASTY TACTICS 3!

(There will almost surely never be a dynasty tactics 3... {sigh})
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

tgb

Quote from: Ian C on September 06, 2015, 10:44:24 AM
Is this game any good?

Very good.  There's a bit of a learning curve, as you can see from this thread, but it's not too bad.  If not for Massive Chalice, it might have been my Strategy GOTY.  I thought I would hate the historical cut scenes but I'm enjoying them.  My only complaint other than having to reset the graphics option every time I play is the English voice acting, which sounds like a dubbed Godzilla movie, but you can get around it by having the sound bites play in Japanese.

I'm also starting a game as the Mori, but in the second scenario (the one with "Viper" in the title). Again you start out as vassals of the Ouchi, but with only one main castle and four fortresses.  28 generals, I think, which should be enough to do almost anything, money permitting.

Ian C

Quote from: tgb on September 06, 2015, 11:03:42 AM
If not for Massive Chalice, it might have been my Strategy GOTY.

Now that's torn it. Another game...

Grim.Reaper

Make sure to talk about how bad this game is throughout the day today...my plan is to purchase tonight when I get home but if I see a bunch of bad stuff, it will save me the money:)

W8taminute

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 06, 2015, 11:03:01 AM
I weakened. My rationale being that if I help support them on release, maybe they'll figure they should localize (and develop) more games.

DYNASTY TACTICS 3! DYNASTY TACTICS 3!

(There will almost surely never be a dynasty tactics 3... {sigh})

Exactly my thinking as well Jason.  That's why I purchased both the PC and the PS4 versions of the game.  Dynasty Tactics ruled!  Didn't know they had a second one.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

AndyBrown

Quote from: tgb on September 06, 2015, 11:03:42 AM

My only complaint other than having to reset the graphics option every time I play ...

People,

Try creating a shortcut direct to the NOBU14PK.exe instead of starting the game through the launcher.  That should stop the graphics settings reset.

Andy Brown

jomni

Thanks.  I'll try that.

But will all the Steam features still be there?  Screenshot, usage statistics.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on September 06, 2015, 08:42:48 PM
Thanks.  I'll try that.

But will all the Steam features still be there?  Screenshot, usage statistics.

Pretty sure the Steam overlay plug-ins are always part of the exe, not the launcher.